[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey biz, I've been curious about this topic for a couple

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: chris-hansen.jpg (96KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
chris-hansen.jpg
96KB, 1800x1200px
Hey biz,

I've been curious about this topic for a couple days and since there isn't a legal board on here I feel you guys would be able to shed some light on this.
When is it legal to make a show or Youtube channel that depicts people either without their consent or without giving them some of the revenue money as a fellow content creator?
Some examples I've had on my mind:

To Catch a Predator. The show creators receive revenue from ads however the men being caught do not. The men do not want to be shown on the show and do not want their chat messages read yet the show does so anyway. As well, the men do not receive monetary compensation even though they are the spotlight and the show could not exist without them. They are content creators, maybe even more so than the show creators yet have no chance of being paid for it.
If a man breaking into a home can sue after getting his nose broken by the home owner, why can't these men expect to be paid? They are being used against their will to make someone else profit.

Ownage Pranks on Youtube. This guy makes money off of his channel when he posts vids and receives hundreds of thousands if not millions of views. All of his videos revolve around the entertainment due to both himself and others. Would any of the people in the calls be able to justifiably take him to court for not including them in the profit?
>>
Another example, the Youtube show "Theater of Life".
>>
>>1382473
Even to catch a predator has to get the dude to sign the waiver or else they'll have to blur his face. For YouTube pranks, you can fuck with people in public you're within you rights to film stuff in public. That's where chicks got pissed about drones flying over the beach getting pics if them in their bikinis they wanted to steal the camera or erase footage but the perv filming didn't have to huehue
>>
>>1382482

So if I'm in a phone call or online video chat, some guy can record it, upload it to youtube, and profit off of it without me being able to do a damn thing? WTF is that? When is the line drawn between public bystander and content creator?
>>
>>1382482
wait why would any of them sign a waiver?
>>
>>1382487

You cannot record phone and skype conversations without informing the person

You can video tape people in public places, but not on private property

These are not absolute, and there are exceptions and nuances to it.
>>
It's legal as long as nobody complains about it. That somebody might be actual people or the state.

If you infringe some copyright, nothing's gonna happen to you until the affected party starts claiming some rights. If they're some poor nobodies, you basically have nothing to fear, despite heroic stories like that dude who invented the windshield thing.
>>
If it's framed under fair use as in you're reviewing the footage in some way it's completely legal. Doesn't mean someone won't attempt copyright notices but you can fight them and win.

>>1382498
>You cannot record phone and skype conversations without informing the person

Depends entirely on local laws of the recording party. Where I live I can record any conversation I'm having with anyone I want. Regular phone calls, text messages, emails or skype/online conversations. I'm under no legal obligation to inform them I'm recording it.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.