[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So let's presume that an actual recession similar to 2008,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: evhistorypix027753.jpg (550KB, 1250x650px) Image search: [Google]
evhistorypix027753.jpg
550KB, 1250x650px
So let's presume that an actual recession similar to 2008, or even greater is coming in the near future.

What is the best way to prepare?

Obviously a small stockpile of food you would eat anyways (rice, beans, oats) and owning a gun are nice.

Are there any bond or stock funds that will grow during a recession? Is it best to keep it in cash?

Some will advocate buying Gold/Silver, but keeping those physically is a huge liability, and if it's tied to an ETF the price could be manipulated (or the asset seized if the shit hit the fan)

Strong cryptos like BTC are an option, though, without mainstream adoption of them as a currency, they'll only be so useful.

Bogleheads will claim to just keep shoveling money into index funds and wait it out. Is that really a good idea?

Discuss!
>>
>>1375026
>small stockpile of food
You're not gonna last anon.

Also a safehouse in a remote location is where to keep the stockpile.
>>
>>1375026
Keep your stocks and buy more, you'll be buying at a discount. Bogleheads is pretty much right.
>>
>>1375186
>stocks
>useful when paper currencies are worthless
>>
>>1375231
lets see -
>actual recession similar to 2008

or greater.

no where does he say a cataclysmic depression.

I assume you are in the USA. If so, hold cash.

It is possible that if you wanted to bet against the markets - any market really - you could buy triple bear funds, but you'd need to time it pretty good.

also, you could buy rental properties, since fewer people would have enough money to buy real estate and the rental market would grow, thus pushing up rents, but this is very location specific and if you buy in an area where there are huge layoffs, you could get burned.

if you have cash, you can wait to a good bottom of the market and then buy in to staples and businesses like GE or potentially Tesla or Google or Apple that are international in scope and have diverse business lines that are adaptable in the long run.
>>
>>1375026
My advice is don't wait for the End, cause you could be waiting for a lot longer than you think.
>>
Property

Land

Self sufficiency (wind, solar, bore hole, self contained filtration system, hydro etc the more redundancy the better)
>>
>>1375290
>>1375172
>>1375231

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I don't actually think complete and utter civilization collapse will occur; if it did, then hoarding won't really matter - a small gang/militia could just kill you and take your shit.

My food/gun line was probably unneeded - I was mostly thinking that in a Great Depression scenario (large downturn that will eventually reverse), those would be nice to have.

>>1375278
Thanks for the response. How do you feel about dividend aristocrat stocks?

Mostly talking about holding some money in T, JNJ, MCD, WMT, KO - etc. They all managed to grow or maintain their dividends through 2008 unless I'm mistaken.
>>
Condoms.
>>
>>1375451
Seeing how they come in flavours they can double down as food too. Personally I find eating one condom a day nicely lubes up the inner linings of my intestines and makes for a much smoother digestive process, and a much more comfortable passing of stool.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.