[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

United States tax questions I need your help to avoid being murdered

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

United States tax questions
I need your help to avoid being murdered by the tax man this year.
I started working for a small business this year, and my boss pays under the table. I never filled out tax forms when I started and just figured it was because of the turnover rate, however I asked and learned that he doesn't have any real employees on paper. The issue here is that he pays in checks, so there's no way of avoiding paying taxes. I use mobile deposit so I still have all the checks and have them stored together. How do I prepare for tax time? When the tax man wants to know who I work for, what could happen if they audit and find I'm not a true employee?
The other two employees aren't very responsible individuals, I asked what they did for tax season and they both said nothing.
>>
File: 1467085121728.jpg (194KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1467085121728.jpg
194KB, 1200x1600px
Small business owner here.

You're kinda fucked, and your owner might be kinda fucked as well.

If he went the "under the table" route he should have paid you in cash, not checks. So there would be no record. And he should have instructed you not to let that cash touch a bank account.

But now the record exists.

So, I have heard many small biz owners say you can get away with not filing, and have the employees not file as well. But it is a gamble, and if the IRS does find out they are gonna fuck you both, especially the employer.

How much did you make? If it was $25k or less I would just roll the dice and not file, you'll prob be fine. But if you made $35k or more, then you definitely need to file. As for the employer, IDK what is gonna happen to them, they are rolling the dice.
>>
>>1367542
Your boss is involved with drugs isn't he? This is a marijuana business.
>>
>>1367652
Tree service, no drugs.
>>1367629
I'll be making around 30,000. I'm mainly concerned about keeping myself clean and out of trouble, he's been in business for 17 years now. If I file the income tax and have records will the IRS leave me alone? Is there any good way to bring this up with my boss?
>>
>>1367678
you are technically a contractor which is what he would testify you are. So you are probably going to get thrown under the bus.
>>
>>1367629
Sauce?
>>
>>1367678
Just file taxes, see what irs respond with. Likely you will have interest and some penalties on top of what you rightly owe. Spend $100 to talk to a tax accountant
>>
Why not just report that 30k as income and pay the taxes yourself?
>>
>>1367542
he should give you a 1099 if your a subcontractor. You will have to pay all the taxes on it as he is not taking any out.
>>
File your taxes as normal. You will most likely have to file them in paper. Since you obviously don't have a W-2, follow this. https://www.irs.gov/uac/here-is-what-to-do-if-you-are-missing-a-w-2 You might be classified as a contractor, which case you'd be under 1099. The IRS is VERY forgiving for people in your situation, especially if you report this in advance. They are typically willing to help you get a handle on things, just don't be a total dumb ass. If you wind up owing a substantial lump sum, ask about payment plans. I'd actually call them now to sort this out because they don't like lump sums at the end of the year. You're going to need to keep track of everything, so good on you for already having a paper trail. Keep a backup of it, and consider talking with a professional. It's going to be worth a few bucks to have a certified professional go over stuff and make sure that you don't have any errors.

Never, ever fuck with the IRS. Right now you can play the stupid/ignorant card because you are the one going to them. They do not play nice with people that they have to go to.
>>
>>1368922
Your employer is going to get positively FUCKED if he's not tiny, and is doing what his actions imply. This guy is a Certified Idiot. In fact, if I were you, I'd just report him to the IRS right now for tax fraud. Just keep your head down, and don't let anyone know that you were the rat. Your job is long term fucked regardless, so you may as well be the rat. It gives you a bit of a cover when talking to the IRS. It's unlikely that your boss is big enough to qualify for you getting a cash payout under their whistle blower protection, but it's certainly possible if he's been doing this for more than a couple years. You lose nothing by reporting him, and a tax professional can certainly point you in the right direction for how to properly report the fraud so that you can potentially get a payout.

>Morals

Don't moralize it. This employer doesn't give a single solitary shit about you. He's willing to throw you under the buss by asking you to commit a felony to help him. Fuck him. You have no obligation to protect him. He's a potential pinata, and if you don't make even a half-assed attempt to give him a good thwack, you are doing yourself, and everyone else potentially screwed by him a disservice.
>>
>>1368924
>snitching
>>
>>1367542

Okay so I read the responses.

You will need to file your taxes, and you have 2 choices. You can file 1099 (and pay somewhere between $6k and $4k in tax) or file a W2 (and pay somewhere around $2k in tax).

It really depends on schedule and hours as to whether you were W2 or 1099.

In either case you will be fine legally, you didn't do anything wrong. If you file 1099 the employer will probably be fine and nothing will happen to them. If you file W2, your employer will likely get investigated and fucked by the IRS.

Your employer is a complete fuckin idiot. I've been in business for only 1 year and even I know to give an employee a 1099 form. If you worked a regular M - F schedule and were trained and managed, then you would be classified as a W2 and your employer fucked up bigtime.
>>
File: 1467486596036.jpg (130KB, 1024x996px) Image search: [Google]
1467486596036.jpg
130KB, 1024x996px
>>1367542

Also the fact that he did not give you cash is beyond retarded.

It's the massive amount of fucking idiots in blue collar work, that makes it so easy for guys like me to succeed. It's like being the smartest person in the room at a convention for downs syndrome kids.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.