[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a mathematician. I want to earn shitton of money working

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: this_is_central_i_assume.gif (24KB, 600x359px) Image search: [Google]
this_is_central_i_assume.gif
24KB, 600x359px
I'm a mathematician. I want to earn shitton of money working in finance. What are my possibilities?

I'm maining in computing/computability and statistics. Also well versed in optimization.

How can I maximize my profit?
Preferably by working for some one.

Any ideas my /biz/natches?
>>
Bump. I'm reading of something like quantitative analysis i.e. quant fund.

This would be something I could find interesting. Are there more professions?
>>
Re-bump. I want to work in Stockholm or maybe London. What kind of employers would I be looking towards?
>>
File: this guy.jpg (25KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
this guy.jpg
25KB, 640x480px
Am I shadowbanned?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InnRJIGfLFU
>>
If you wanted datamining you shouldve done ucla and known exactly what you were doing.

Computer science associates is worthless. If you want to salvage your degree, take the classes and certs needed to become an actuary, but remember thats a tough field.
>>
>>1365759
But I've read finance people got a hard-on for mathematicians ;_;
>>
>>1365759
Also I want to work with algorithms that regular computer monkeys cannot into
>>
Just because you're a mathematician doesn't mean you'd fare well in finance. Are you a geometry wiz or are you a prodigy if probabilities? If the latter, then I'd say work as a consultant which of course means you'd have to have a portfolio or some proof of succes (assuming you have no degree in finance). If you're a derpshit nobody, which you probably are, I'd say start building a portfolio on stocks, bets, and predictions that you can use your "math skills" to benefit you. Once you're less of a nobody then you'll be more appealing to people as a consultant.
>>
>>1365765
Well I'd assume having more probability than any other applicant might give me an edge.
Also what kind of geometry is relevant for finance? If you have any insight, that is, it would help with some hand-holding here.

Where do I start building a portfolio? Have you got any resources?
>>
>>1365774
more knowledge of probability*
>>
What I maybe wasn't very clear about is that I want to work with algorithmic trading.
>>
This is not the right place to be asking these kinds of questions my man.
You need to go somewhere you can actually verify that the person you're talking to is qualified to give you advice. /biz/ is just for fun, don't take this place seriously as a business forum.

If you're determined to use a messageboard for this then i'd recommend lurking /r/finance and using the search function to find people talking about the job you want.
Shoot a few friendly PM's at the people who seem to know their shit.
>>
>>1365739
Are you a "mathematician" at a graduate level?
>>
>>1365739

Assuming you have a master's or PhD, how are you with stochastic differential equations? How well do you code? Do you only know R, like most of the fags I know, or are you more versatile? Do you understand markets or are you just some sperg who did their thesis on some useless free probability-type shit?
>>
quantopian go there
>>
>>1365758
No
>>
>>1366939
This.

If your PhD was on on topology who the fuck cares.

>>1365739
You are going to need to know statistics, calculus which you know, you will also need to know some of the core software shenanigans used in Finance like python, excel, excel visual basic etc.

I would recommend you get an actuarial degree. You will be respected and very hireable.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.