[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it that all the jobs in tech are either 6 figure salary

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (325KB, 3888x2592px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
325KB, 3888x2592px
Why is it that all the jobs in tech are either 6 figure salary jobs for only the most talented and experienced developers, or sub-minimum wage jobs going to indians and eastern europeans?

Where is the middle ground for someone like me who isn't a genius, but is competent and willing to work for like $40k a year?
>>
>Why is it that all the jobs in tech are either 6 figure salary jobs for only the most talented and experienced developers, or sub-minimum wage jobs going to indians and eastern europeans?
the reason it works like this is that it simply makes the most economic sense for most companies to operate this way. if you have a skill that is in demand they are willing to pay you a good salary, if you have a skill that is very common there is no reason to pay you well for it.
>>
>>1365507
would it blow your mind to know that there are intermediate tech jobs, you just only hear about the extremes because every single thread here is screaming about one of them?
>>
>>1365554
That's not really true though. I'm talking from personal experience looking for a job. Literally all I have seen available are extremely high pay positions requiring a million different skills, degrees, and many years of experience, or unpaid "internships." Then there's the freelance sites where every job pays $2 an hour.
>>
>>1365569
Do an internship, then.
>>
>>1365645
So I should work for free, despite having a couple years of experience working in this field?
>>
>>1365569
I think a lot of those job posting are are put together by people who do not have any tech skills and are using buzz words. An example of this would be a web developer position requiring a degree in Computer Science along with 5years+ skills in MCSE, CCNA, A+, Novell, Exchange and Oracle.

This person does not exist and your best bet is if you have a least a few of those skill to go ahead and apply. The worse that can happen is you don't get the job. It's not like applying for credit where you get a ding on you report for 2 years.
>>
>>1365678
Tech internships are paid you autist. I had two. The first paid $16/hr the second paid $22/hr.
>>
>>1366005
I would be perfectly happy making $22/hr but I really don't see jobs like that anywhere.
>>
>>1366268
Where the fuck do you live? I got a $30/hr programming internship in OKLAHOMA.
>>
>>1366484
I live in new york, but want to get out of this overpriced shithole soon.

But I imagine a $30/hour internship is for somebody who is in the top 5% of programmers or something. I'm not and I don't have a computer science degree or anything like that, just self-taught html/css/javascript/php skills. I have enough experience to design and build websites, but apparently not enough for the kinds of jobs that are available to americans these days.
>>
>>1366520
>and I don't have a computer science degree or anything like that, just self-taught html/css/javascript/php skills.
See, the meme about learning programming on your own and getting a job from that only works if you become extremely skilled. Otherwise the degree is what gets you your foot in the door. They have no reason to hire you over someone with a degree that says they're at least somewhat competent or Pajeet Patel who will work for two peanuts a day.
>>
>>1366528
>your foot in the door
I've had programming jobs in the past though. I just find it very difficult to find something else each time the job ends. And I know from experience that pajeets never even come close to being competent.
>>
>>1366542
What sort of jobs are you getting that just end? Why are you picking up short term projects instead of searching for something longer and more stable like most people?
>>
>>1366549
Because there's no such thing as a "stable" job in the tech industry unless it's at some big corporation, and those jobs are the hardest of all to get, it seems. Most of the jobs I've had over the past few years were actually full time jobs at small startups that ran out of money after a few months.
>>
>>1365507
Some of those highly paid developers are dumb as dirt. That's what's infuriating.
>>
Get a job on a help desk or in IT facilities. Network and be a person that looks promising and apply for jobs internally from there. Technology, although promising for those who have some expertise, is just like everywhere else; it's who you know.
>>
>work for a big company, in Tech/Sofware engineering, helped out with interviews.

Here's the truth about job postings from a lot of large companies - companies pump out dozens of postings for open positions, and no matter how many people we interview, we rarely hire because it gives us a paper trail of interviews and applications to say "we interviews 50 people, but couldn't find any qualified Americans, so that justifies the need for 10 H1B visas to get our work done using brown people at 1/10th of the price"
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.