[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>want to quit job >have a bit over a year's experience

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: Cubicle-Shelving-Units.jpg (526KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Cubicle-Shelving-Units.jpg
526KB, 1024x768px
>want to quit job
>have a bit over a year's experience as a sort-of business analyst in a meme startup
>great excel, sql, python and some R, so Business Analyst is the easiest job to step into
>probably condemning myself to years of boring cramped worked in a cubicle

Anyone else know this feel?
>>
>>1344654
don't quit
start looking for other jobs
follow the money and opportunities for career advancement
>>
>>1344660
this.

I'm also an Excel jockey and over worked, but they pay me too good to quit.
>>
File: CMzk_JSWUAAO7oN.jpg (59KB, 600x487px) Image search: [Google]
CMzk_JSWUAAO7oN.jpg
59KB, 600x487px
>>1344682
You're lucky, I'm an overworked SQL/Excel jockey too, but my pay is shit. Took the job to get my foot in the door somewhere, economy was in the toilet here so jumped on the first thing that came along, after a few months of looking.

Learned a ton from it, but there's no real area for progression now, and the atmosphere is becoming toxic in there.

Dunno, need to get out, but I'm wondering if there's much to be gained by being a higher paid excel monkey somewhere else, or if I should cash in excel monkeying for being a codemonkey instead.

Somewhere nice and stable that isn't going to hit panic mode every second week when the CEO freaks out and starts micromanaging everything.
>>
>>1344699
one thing I can tell you is that you're going to encounter bs and drama wherever you work; follow the money and look for a company that will give you the opportunity to move up
>>
>>1344708
>one thing I can tell you is that you're going to encounter bs and drama wherever you work;

That's true I guess, as long as there are people there, there's bound to be some bullshit.

Taking a look at a few banks now to see if that might be a good avenue. Wouldn't mind staying in tech, but we'll see what comes up, thanks bro
>>
>>1344708
would agree with this

>>1344699
i don't know how much you're making there, but when I started as a BA they paid $48k/year working for a large and established corporation. I've been there 12 years and make about 4x that now due to being able to create solutions/automate processes very quickly.
>>
File: Sexy-marissa-mayer.jpg (76KB, 270x333px) Image search: [Google]
Sexy-marissa-mayer.jpg
76KB, 270x333px
>>1344726
>but when I started as a BA they paid $48k/year working for a large and established corporation.

Started at around €22k, now on a bit over €28k after a year. Again, meme startup, they tend to lowball salaries, though the perks are actually pretty good (standard of living is probably higher than if I was on this wage in a normal company)

We pretty much had to build and operate insanely complicated sales pipelines from scratch, with nothing written down, so automating is something I've gotten pretty good at, got to take as much bullshit off your back as you can before it crushes you.

It's encouraging to hear you've done well out of it, what industry are you in?
>>
Enjoy moving to India soon if your future AI master doesn't take your job away entirely
>>
>>1344748
Insurance company. It's promising to see that initial bump you got after your first year. It's mid-year review time - perhaps you should ask your manager what potential future you may have there.

I think I got 3-4% raises for the first 3 years I was there. Then I got into a role with more visibility and required a little more nuance (i.e., not just technical skills, but having to deal with people), and I was able to advance my career.
>>
>>1344784
Already had the review, got a small bump, though it appears to have been used as an excuse to push a pretty agressive NDA/Privacy Agreement across the company, which is worsening the atmosphere.

I'll see what kind of advancement options are there, but I suspect there won't be anything for quite some time, and I'd prefer to move on if possible.

Hopefully I'll get to do something similar to you, just need to find the right place to do it I guess.

What kind of technical skills would you use day-to-day? Do you tend to build process through existing services or through in-house devving?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.