[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here have experience working in consulting firms? I want

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1466310316953.jpg (4KB, 214x194px) Image search: [Google]
1466310316953.jpg
4KB, 214x194px
Anyone here have experience working in consulting firms? I want to apply for a job in one but don't know what to expect.
>>
>>1330380
That's my brother.
>>
>>1330380
Expect to be put on planes week after week, usually leaving on Sunday evenings, and not coming back home until Friday. Expect the company to pay you about 20% of what they are charging the end customer for your billable time.
>>
Do you even have any knowledge you can sell?
>>
>>1330380
Hey OP, I did a little bit of consulting work (3 months) for a group that I interned with in my last year of college. Basically I was considered a junior SME (subject matter expert) and worked with the senior SMEs on their projects. This included anything and everything you can think of - conducting research and analysis, drafting documents for in house use and clients, and calling out to people/groups for answers. Basically it was my job to put together the pieces and let the senior SMEs know of the key information each client should have. Also I got to participate in some on site visits, which was pretty cool.

Overall, it was a nice experience, would do again if the opportunity presents itself.
>>
Apply for the job. If/when they turn you down, ask them what you could improve upon/what they look for in a candidate.
>>
>>1331638
Ive been rejected 5 times for jobs and they always ignore my request for feedback
>>
>>1330380
I do consulting work now.

>>1330933
This is right. I am on assignment right now on the west coast and I "live" on the east coast. I fly out late Sunday nights and either redeye back or get in really late on Thursdays.

I'm on a 3 week on 1 week off cycle.

It's pretty miserable in the sense that scheduling things like haircuts and doctor appointments are almost impossible. I work around 60 hours a week including travel so it's not the worst but not the best. I make solid money though ($150k including bonus) and have been doing this for 2 years.

I plan on doing it for one more year then transitioning into an in-house job because I do ultra-niche work.

I also have four years of specialized graduated education and publish and speak several times a year. You've gotta be very self-starting to succeed at consulting.
>>
>>1330380

Perhaps somewhat unrelated, what do companies typically hire consultants for? I can understand for one-off stuff like M&A, but in which other areas would a consulting firm be more knowledgeable about the business than the people inside the business?
>>
>>1330928
Your brother looks like a protectron from fallout 3
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.