[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to Become A Computer Systems Analyst? Does anyone know how

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: CSA.jpg (89KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
CSA.jpg
89KB, 600x400px
How to Become A Computer Systems Analyst?

Does anyone know how long/path to take to get to this job?

I am currently thinking about switching to the MIS program in my school (School of Business at my University is top 25, top 5 in New England, and top 25 for MIS in the nation) but I am not 100% sure of the path to get to this job, but it seems appealing to me.

Any suggestions?
>>
MIS seems pretty cool, a lot of database and thin client programming study. Not really sure how the move to the cloud affects this job, maybe its more in vogue, but there's hardly any MIS majors at my biz college and a fuck ton of accountants. Biz students are retarded with computers, I think thats why MIS can start off with nice salaries for a 4 year degree.
>>
take a 2 or 3 year college program with internships. easy
>>
>>1291787
I think there is still applications even with the cloud as you also work the business side of how people interact with computers, so setting up stuff and helping with that. And for me, I only heard of 2 MIS majors through a full year even when I had about 8 classes of 30+ kids with ice breakers and it was filled with marketing/accounting majors. And for computer aspect, I feel that way as well as many of the kids in my classes are not as smart as I feel they should be for a good school
>>
>>1291771
Question, between computer science and info systems, what is a better degree if you're not sure what you want to do yet within the field? I feel like you can still get an info systems jobs with a CS degree, but on the other hand, I feel like a MIS major can get both jobs, and compete with CS degrees. Is their anything a CS degree offers in terms of programing skill that you don't get from an MIS degree? If so, is it possible to learn on your own?
>>
Honestly for the same amount of time studying to do IT, you could become a webdev or app developer or something with a higher earning cap. I went from network engineer to webdev after a year of studying and projects and it feels much better to be an end user than it does to essentially be support
>>
>>1291787
>>1291807

There is a bit of a myth that the cloud is going to kill traditional in-house IT. It WILL, however that doesnt mean the jobs go away automatically. The cloud simply moves your job prospects from small in-house IT teams to the large datacenters and data providers.

In short, instead of working for Bobs Lumber as their lone IT guy, you end up working at one of a dozen Microsoft/Amazon server farms
>>
>>1293300
I think you can major in CS/CSE and minor in business for it to be similar while you can do MIS and get certifications in programming languages and be quite similar
>>
>>1293300

CS = much more technical, better for programming and development overall

MIS = some programming and a fair bit of data modelling, but more business-facing and strategy/governance oriented

A good example is information security, where a CS person might work on the algorithms involved in encryption, whereas an MIS person would be looking at the info security policies and protocols of an organisation, from the business point of view.

I'm doing MIS because I'm more interested in analysis, strategy and liaising with clients than with actually building the product.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.