[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Give me a reality check guys. I am 25, have a degree in Physics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: keys 2 success.jpg (87KB, 1080x540px) Image search: [Google]
keys 2 success.jpg
87KB, 1080x540px
Give me a reality check guys.

I am 25, have a degree in Physics and I tell people I plan to go into stuffy academia, but I secretly have lots of very immature ideas about alternative job paths I might take for fun (I'm doing fine for money atm). I can't tell anyone IRL about this or they will realise how much of a child I am, so please can you guys let me know how stupid my plans might be.

>Fireman
I imagine that its quite easy to be a fireman, everyone respects you, you spend a lot of time playing poker or whatever in the Firehouse, you drive a truck and get to use fun hoses. All thats needed is good physical fitness, which I pretty much already have.

>Detective
Solving crimes has got to be fun and challenging, and I bet you get a real emotional kick out of cleaning up the streets as well. Only problem is, I don't know how much of the job is directing traffic or guarding dumb buildings - that shit is crap.

>Astronaut
How hard can it be?

>Manwhore
You get to have lots of sex, men are paid pretty well (unlike female prostitutes), and it seems like fun. Plus its easy as hell I reckon, especially if I do gay stuff and bottom - that way I can just lie there and make $$$.

>Forest Ranger
Lots of time to think, you get to hang around in pretty scenery without other people bothering you, you get to boss tourists around, and I bet your calves would get hella jacked from all the walking. I would probably have to move somewhere with forests first though.

>Philosopher
is this even still a job? arguing with people and thinking about things all day sounds fun as hell, anyway.

>Hermit
It seems like running away to some mountain and living there by myself would have lots of perks. Major street cred, lots of time to think, write and exercise, and no need to deal with annoying people. How difficult is it legally to get all the paperwork filed away to live in an abandoned shack for your whole life?

Please critique my ideas as honestly as possible.
>>
>>1290968
>I imagine that its quite easy to be a fireman
Bwahahahaha no.
>everyone respects you
He says while belittling their jobs.
>All thats needed is good physical fitness, which I pretty much already have.
Unless you're a former soldier or something similar, no, you don't.
>Solving crimes has got to be fun and challenging
Please repeat this after listening to yet another teen girl tell you she's been raped and beaten. Enjoy sleeping at night when you know there's no hope of justice.
>Manwhore
STDs and violence, unless it's legal in your country in which case it should be well regulated.
>Forest Ranger
You have no idea what a forest ranger does, do you? The same applies to philosophy.
>Hermit
Try complete social isolation for a week. No phone calls, no shop, no human contact. Good luck!

Get yourself a hobby. Kayaking or camping or something. If you've got a very good amount of money, buy a light aircraft and get a pilots licence. If you don't check out your local airfield, you might be able to rent something. Is this a bait thread or are you really twelve?
>>
>>1290968

1 - A large amount of firemen are volunteers who have other jobs. The ones that work as full time firemen are broke as fuck.

2 - Long hours, more paperwork than you can imagine, dealing with shitty ghetto people, medicore pay, etc. If you work in a small enough town with low costs of living, it could be pretty good, though the most you'll probably investigate is some drug dealers. Also you have to be a police officer first which sucks major cock.

3 - Lol not happening.

4 - AIDS

5 - Actually not bad if you enjoy being outside, though you'll want to be in a well forested, large wilderness area so you don't end up just driving all day like a cop. basically you need to go west coast.

6 - only in academia and the competition for the job is fierce with shit pay. also you need a PhD at least. theres a good chance astro and quantum physicists will put you out of the job in a decade or two as well.

7 - not hard if you don't mind being completely fucking broke all the time
>>
>>1290991

I'm an amateur powerlifter and made the Nationals in the UK a few years back. I also just googled the physical fitness requirements for firemen and theyre super easy

also can you tell me what a forest ranger actually does because all I know about the job comes from old "Boys Own" magazines from the 1950s
>>
>>1290968
>>Fireman
>I imagine that its quite easy to be a fireman,

My sis does Admin for Oakland FD.

The last time the City of Oakland held an open hiring to fill 5 positions in their district, 15,000 people applied.

And guess who got the 5 positions? 3 guys with family in the IAFF 55. 1 Guy who was the son of the SEIU regional head. And 1 token asian guy.

Bottom line... if you want a fat, cushy Union job, you better be related to a Union member or you're SOL.
>>
>>1290968

This is the best new meme in months.
>>
>>1290991
My dad is a firefighter makes 70k a year plus he works only 1/3rd of the year so he has tons of freetime.

Don't listen to these anons, they think that if you're not making 100k then you're a bum.

Enjoy life, fuck work, that shit is for the turds.
>>
File: 1464544354668.jpg (356KB, 640x850px) Image search: [Google]
1464544354668.jpg
356KB, 640x850px
>>1291089
My brother is in a big construction union as a site supervisor. Would he have enough pull to land me a union job? (i know nothing about construction or nepotism)
>>
File: 1449422865482.jpg (59KB, 338x450px) Image search: [Google]
1449422865482.jpg
59KB, 338x450px
>>1291056
>amateur powerlifter

Oh boy! I wish you could had put that on your resume to Marine Corps OCS where I went!

Im sure they would lay out the red carpet for you since squatting is basically the definition of these types of jobs.

Pro tip: literally every service type job requires you to run more than squat there chunky trunks.

>Astronaut
How hard can it be?

I cant tell if trolling or not.

Yea you need to grow the fuck up kid. The jobs you listed off as "fun" are probably way more practical for what you could get as a 25 yr old with a useless physics degree.

Ill take back physics being useless once you also spend about 10 years as a naval officer and aviator who is then sent to a prestigious grad program by the military to then be picked up by NASA. But before that, youre degree is useless.
>>
>>1290968
Firefighter here.

Where I live 70% of firehalls are volunteer / paid on call, and at the career halls they still have way more paid on calls than career members. You'd basically have to start as a paid on call and get all of your training (NFPA 1001, 1002, swift water rescue, first responder / EMR, low angle rescue, etc etc etc) if you even get in as a paid on call, otherwise you'd have to pay for and get all that training yourself (probably like 30k). Once you're in as a paid on call, you'd basically work for 15-40 bucks an hour depending on the hall, and only for major calls that require a lot of man power (fires, large MVI's, hazmat shit, etc), and even then you won't be guaranteed a job. Once someone retires or quits usually the hall will hire out of their paid on calls, which you would have to compete against as well, usually takes 2-5 years for a position to open up and even be eligible.

Once you're in, if you are at a decently busy hall, its in no way easy work. Fighting structure / bush fires is a total bitch, and is a fuck ton of manual labour. Car crashes and medical aids (most of what your calls will be) also can fuck you up mentally if you aren't used to that kind of thing, you will see a lot of dead bodies and gore.

kind of a tl;dr, but basically its possible but very difficult, there are a lot less fires than there used to be with improvements to building codes and whatnot, so the amount of career firefighters needed is shrinking rapidly.

you can ask me questions if you want I guess, I'll be around for a bit.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.