[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /biz/, first time poster here. I have a lot of experience

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 150507081946_1_900x600.jpg (26KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
150507081946_1_900x600.jpg
26KB, 800x533px
Hey /biz/,
first time poster here. I have a lot of experience working with specialized alloys for research and companies and I think that I have enough knowledge to create products like say, amazing wind turbine blades, better engine parts, basically high temp, high stress components.

How can I move from making single prototypes of products to forming my own business? I have another person interested in investing/cofounding. Basically we are both very knowledgeable and capable in making our product but neither of us have any real business experience.
>>
>>1285188
You'd be better off asking on Reddit if you want advice from adults. Most people here have never even had a real job.
>>
>>1285469
Thanks. I didn't bother bumping because I guess all people want to do here is circlejerk over Trumpbucks or complain about how this and that are the reason they are poor.
>>
>>1285469
this

theres a reason why most of /biz/ is in the cryptocurrency bullshit threads

>hey guys theres this new coin i made, its called SHITCOIN, GIMME MONEY!
>>
>>1285469
Can I get a link to a decent reddit board for business? I've been here off and on since /biz/ was made and it hasn't gotten even a little better in the intervening years.
>>
>>1285714
Some subs are
www.reddit.com/r/business
www.reddit.com/r/Entrepreneur/
www.reddit.com/r/smallbusiness

Try those.
>>
>>1285720
Saved. Thanks.
>>
just work for GE? they're running commercials they want people so badly now. they never run tv spots.
>>
>>1285188
Some tips from my experience starting a company:
- The actual registering-a-company bit is easy, you can fill out a form and it'll take like an hour and $100 (depending on which state you register in)
- Get an accountant early. It'll feel like you're wasting money -- early on, the accounting is easy with only a small number of transactions -- but really it's so worth it.
- Also accounts related: start saving your receipts and recording your expenses right away. It's a massive ballache to be sure but you're saving yourself time and pain not long down the road
- Reach out on LinkedIn to anyone you think looks related to your field and is local. Some will ignore you but most people are happy to meet for coffee and give some advice.
>>
File: Powder_0.jpg (52KB, 611x884px) Image search: [Google]
Powder_0.jpg
52KB, 611x884px
>>1285753
Thank you for some decent tips. We've been talking about this for a long time now. Accountant is a good idea for later but for now we are planning on working with few numbers of clients. This is basically because everything we do will have to be us doing it, i.e. our production is very limited right now.

>>1285750
Large companies like GE aren't what either of us want to do. I've worked for large and small materials and aero companies, a national lab, and some minor consulting work on the side. Small businesses are very much the environment and attitude that I love about technology. It's sort of the whole reason we want to do this and are willing to throw in everything we've got: businesses are the most effective way to spread technology. It's easy enough to create a technology in the lab where you are just characterizing properties or doing limited testing, but the best way to actually spread the technology through society and the world is to create a product that is competitive and is better than whatever shit is out there.

Large companies are too stale in their operations to take risks and prefer to dominate their sector. Not fun for the employees either, everything is so impersonal ungratifying, not to mention how hard it is to get ANYTHING done it seems. Medium companies are better, the government is good for/at research because if something shows promise you can get plenty of money thrown at it. We want to start a scrappy small business that delivers outstanding products with little moving parts, limited employees, and several solid clients. Basically, if I wanted to work for GE I'll fucking work for GE.

Wow that was more than I expected to write. Thanks for the relevant comment regardless
>>
>>1285188

I've been thinking about this as well. I work in advanced semiconductors and have ideas for new products that would be original and profitable but outside the interest of my current employer which only serves a niche.

Probably what I'll do is file some patents and use some of my university connections to start looking if my ideas are viable. I think the easiest is once your IP is protected is to see if potential customers would be willing to invest to get in early with the new technology. Otherwise seek small business grants to get started. Either way since your not in software you probably need startup capital which is the bitch.
>>
>>1285810
Tell me more about startup capital and bitch factors?
>>
>>1285826

Well the company I work for now was started in Israel so it was easy to know somebody who knew somebody who had 30mil to invest in machinery for tech.

My parents also started a company manufacturing electronics using state small business grants. They got the money but the amount of business plans, presentations and meetings they had to attend made the few 100K almost not worth it.

I know many more examples but once you have the product you need connections. This is my anecdotal experience at least.
>>
This thread is really baffling. I expected a lot of "fuck off reddit". Kudos to you guys for being adults.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.