[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Millionaires of /biz/ I'm getting out of the military next

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (1010KB, 1600x1127px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1010KB, 1600x1127px
Millionaires of /biz/

I'm getting out of the military next year and got accepted to my local business school. Offers majors in accounting, business economics, marketing, finance, real estate, entrepreneurship, operations management, and insurance and risk analysis.

Which one is best? I'm good enough at math to pass calc but don't want it to dominate my career. Trying to make $55k plus starting and low hours so I can have lots of time at home.

Thank you for your kind counsels
>>
>>1283814
>Insurance risk analysis
If you can become an actuary with that become an actuary
Finance if you graduate in a good percentile of your class, go to a prestigious school or mix it with a quantitative degree like math, engineering, physics, statistics etc
Accounting if you realistically expect yourself to do mediocre and want job security
>>
File: 1464476565436.jpg (215KB, 1200x1668px) Image search: [Google]
1464476565436.jpg
215KB, 1200x1668px
Finance is traditionally the best paying by all statistics. It is only one that is same level with engineering, computer science etc.

But that assume you'll get a banking job. Banks are not hiring too much 2016
>>
File: image.jpg (91KB, 615x820px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91KB, 615x820px
>>1283827
I looked into actuary but it seemed to be entirely consumed by high level math alone, am I misguided?

The school is top 80s nationally with a huge emphasis on co ops. What would set a career in finance apart and worst case scenario what kind of salary would I be looking at in a mid sized city?

Again, accounting just seems like sitting Ina back room crunching numbers all day. I'd love a sure bet middle class lifestyle but if my perception is true, I'd go nuts doing that for decades.
>>
Major in math. You can literally get a job in any field. Business is easy to learn- most in finance now are coming from a math, engineering or CS background.
>>
>>1283863
well what kind of job do you want? back or front office? sounds like you don't want to be a number cruncher. do you like working with people?
>>
File: millennials.jpg (80KB, 532x796px) Image search: [Google]
millennials.jpg
80KB, 532x796px
>>1283814
>Trying to make $55k plus starting and low hours
filename
>>
>>1283892
nice cans

The mistake I made was going into finance purely because I thought it would pay well. Ended up being miserable. But now I'm finding my niche, and am already happier. I too come from a blue collar background. Was super excited to graduate and work as an analyst and kiss the restaurant world goodbye. But a desk job is just another sort of hard- it's mentally exhausting. So make sure whatever you do, you will enjoy. Burnout is a real problem in finance, with employees jumping ship all the time.
>>
>>1283902
What niche you go into? and how do you find it?
recent business economics grad myself
>>
>>1283863
Actuary is basically just high level math and modelling, alot of actuaries go in to quantitative finance as well.

Finance as a course at uni is alot of low to mid tier math, however, the typical analyst job doesnt really use that much math (source: my sister is an analyst at an IB, however, they work in the M&A side of the IB, I assume it would be different for buy side IB)

Accounting as a course has less math than finance, actuary, economics courses and as a job has pretty low difficulty of math, I can't see accountants needing more math than exponents and (this is a pretty big stretch) needing to know derivatives (the calculus derivatives) to find maximums and minimums of sales to expenses to find the perfect amount of input to be most efficient.

Also, accounting grads can do alot of different stuff, I think you should look in to accounting consulting work, it has a little bit of basic math, you talk overall strategy and you need to have some interpersonal skills.
>>
>>1283814
The only majors that are worth the degree are in Accounting, and Finance, the rest you can do without a degree. Surely you can do Economics (The most versatile degree in the Finance/Business Industry)?
>>
>>1283892
janny here, prepare to be banned
>>
>>1284183
Risk Management/Actuary > Finance (subjective) > accounting >every other major
>>
>>1283863
University Cincinnati by chance??
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.