[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much effort goes into a franchise? I know there's that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Zrf2h3RD_400x400.jpg (7KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Zrf2h3RD_400x400.jpg
7KB, 400x400px
How much effort goes into a franchise?

I know there's that guy on Reddit who claims he worked 9-5, 6 days a week, but honestly, you shouldn't have to manage the business when you hire a manager.

How much time would you estimate goes into running one or more franchises in the U.S.?
>>
I worked for a franchised Pizza hut ages ago, the owner would stop in like once every few weeks and make sure the store was clean and everything was in order. Other than that I never saw him.
>>
Depends on how much money you have

A rich investor didn't have to do anything

Everyone else just has the illusion of being their own boss while being a wage slave

You never really own a franchise, they just agree to pay you more since you bought in.

You're always better off in the long run to just start a competing business yourself
>>
>>1268123
I worked for a taco bell when I was 18 and owner was always there busting his ass with us. He probably worked more than anyone. His taco bell was the most successful in the state and owned other franchises that he put in work at too. Dudes probably got millions at this point considering how much business he owns but he works his ass off for it.
>>
>>1268636
you make a point but its all about location location location location

if you have a solid location you can become a millionaire easy. There is this drive through mcd that is 24/7 always its always full , met the owner at a golf club , we chatted for a bit , told me how he was broke and took out a loan to open it, now its like passive income . he also mentioned that the manager position is the hardest to fill . youre trusting your store under someone else's supervision
>>
>>1270498

How much money does it take to start, though?
>>
>>1270562
This.

It takes 20+ years to pay off your investment a lot of the time.
>>
>>1270562
depends on the franchise. i think mcdonald's are like 30k initial, then operating expenses as well. there are better resources than /biz/ to get your information from. try franchisegator or something like that.
>>
>>1268123
I heard chick fil a is one of the best franchises to own. easily make over 100k a year but good luck getting approved for a franchise. they have strict requirements which include you going to church. you also have to "work" there to show youre truly invested in it otherwise youll get the boot. if you can get approved they pretty much pay for everything, real estate, stratup costs, etc.
>>
>>1270673
some franchises ask for at least a million dollar net worth and proven business record
>>
I am actually going to be a lot of help here. I own 3 franchises right now. I'm the area manager over all three stores.

Firstly, you ALWAYS want to work in the store for at least the first year. Being the primary manager. Gives you a feel of exactly how it all needs to run, and saves you money from the initial investment of opening a store. Secondly, hiring a good manager isn't as easy as it sounds. You need to find people that are invested in the company. We have a bonus structure where our managers, three at each store, have access to 25% of the stores profits per period. The GM gets 60%, first assistant gets 25%, and the third gets 15%. Keeps people motivated. We require all salaried managers to work 50 hours per week. Which is five 10 hour shifts.

I'll answer any and all questions man.
>>
>>1270713
what would be a good place to start searching for a good franchise? any pointers thanx bro
>>
>>1268123
>you shouldn't have to manage the business when you hire a manager

So you assume your business will be profitable enough to pay for someone else to run it, and that your hired manager will work as hard as an owner operator.

I don't think so anon.
>>
>>1268123
It depends on the franchise (they have forums) - apparently burger king is pretty hands off but obv its not as lucrative

most shit that goes into a mall is a time and money sink (build a bear comes to mind)

subway is crazy fucking mad profitable (where I live the NOI on an average store is 7k per week) but you're late to the game (and other sandwich franchises arent nearly as profitable - lots of quiznos go broke)
>>
>>1270706
>>1270704
I have heard a bit about those kind of arrangements.

They really love store managers who aren't going anywhere in their 40's.

6 Figures plus a guarantee of a job and an assload of money thrown into your Keogh and you can usually have people sink years into that kind of business.

Biggest thing to remember about franchises is that somebody has to put in more work than they are being paid for.

>>1271005
Most Subways I have seen also are understaffed compared to other sandwich shops and they do have a very limited menu considering the number of cold cuts you could stock easily.
>>
File: 1417834000581.png (9KB, 190x159px) Image search: [Google]
1417834000581.png
9KB, 190x159px
>>1270673
No way, McD's is half a million minimum to even be considered, according to their site, closer to around $750,000. Like what >>1270706 said. I will say that Subway is somewhat close to your estimate, though.

>>1270713
>you ALWAYS want to work in the store for at least the first year
But what if I know almost nothing about the store? I've never worked in a McDonald's. Am I totally fucked, or just a little bit fucked?

I was planning on franchising a McD's or something in a few years, and am hoping for some semi-hands-off income. I wouldn't want to have to quit my R&D job to work at a McDonald's for a year, plus however much time I'd spend getting experience at a store before that. I am however okay with checking in on the store for a few hours each week. Is autonomous income plausible with franchises?

Most franchise websites explain that they will provide assistance in things like training and start-up, and I have heard of corporate-applied managers, but I do not believe these were franchises. Would you please explain the managerial hiring process some more? Where do you find these people, other stores?

I like your manager pay system a lot, by the way. Do you mind telling me what stores you franchise?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.