[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't understand why they can't just let kids choose

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: goodbyeash.png (173KB, 411x308px) Image search: [Google]
goodbyeash.png
173KB, 411x308px
I don't understand why they can't just let kids choose their career path at 14. That's how it used to be. There's such a thing as changing careers, it's entirely possible if you made the wrong choice at 25 and can switch. Not a huge deal.

I'm seeing people at 26 finally finishing school, never worked a real job in their life. Work should start at 14. High Schools should only be half of it. A lot of charter schools actually employ this sort of thing. Public shitschools never do.

I knew what I wanted to do at 14 but I was only able to learn what a truly wanted to learn on the streets after working for years by 22. Yet, society said fuck off you have 4 years of babysitting in public education, and another 4 years in university while we fill your mind with mush. Over half the classes were a waste of time and useless. And if you wanted to take college courses in high school, you had to go through a rigorous lesson plan and adhere to the AP testing system, which is far more time consuming and difficult than actual college courses.

The whole thing is a trap. This is why I'm planning my house to be near a charter school or private school so my kids don't waste their lives being brainwashed to be lifelong slaves or cucks.
>>
>>1261127
At 16 I decided I wanted to have 4 careers in life, dealing with the entertainment industry and the tech industry

I am currently on career #3 - screenwriting while still working on career #2 - Web design

I have been fairly successful with music having 2 of my albums chart back to back. With that being said I feel like I am one of the only ones that knew what they wanted to do before I was 20.
>>
>>1261136
This. I had several career paths I wanted to choose but of course I wasn't allowed to do so until I was well into adulthood. Parents and schools shunned me into doing anything other than homework grades and test scores. The little free time I had after school was my only outlet.

We were told to choose 1 thing and that was our lifetime career. THAT'S the problem. There is nothing wrong with choosing multiple career paths, either at the same time or in different stages of your life. Public education is absolute garbage and it's no surprise to see charter and public schools steering away from the 1-lifelong-career-path philosophy for its students.
>>
Public schools can teach you all you need to know to be a productive adult, the problem is that you only get out of school what you put into it and we, as a society, have decided that everyone should be forced to go to school until 18 (although effectively 24 now), so people who don't put in shit get to slouch around until they are 18 (or 26) and then society suddenly starts expecting them to make their own way and it takes a lot of them by surprise.

The ones who just studied what they needed and moved on aren't typically caught as off guard.
>>
>>1261136
Joel stop posting and go to bed.
>>
>>1261177
Being this jealous
>>
Here's what I want[ed] to be:
>Cartoonist
>Animator
>Teacher
>Actor
>Writer
>Fashion Designer
>HEMA Instructor
>Politician
>Something to do with helping other people with their financial goals
I have a ""real"" job now. Every two week I go camping in the local reserve an seriously consider jumping off the edge of the cliff face :')
>>
>>1261127
>A lot of charter schools actually employ this sort of thing. Public shitschools never do.
I went to a liberal arts public high school and even we had a work experience program that gave you credit for up to three hours a day
>>
>>1261127
dude you're autistic if you already had a serious choice at 14. I consider myself early because I choose finance at 16 but if you ask 14 yr old kids what they want to do, they'll say football players and stuff like that, maybe just for the heck of naming something serious they'll say medicine, law etc.

Heck I know highschool seniors who picked law just because they like the tv show suits. And I'm pretty sure 50% of college freshmen don't know shit about the career they chose
>>
>>1261127
lol, retard

anybody with the ambition can have whatever they want

When I was 14 I went out of my way to learn to program and higher level maths. There have existed highly ambitious kids who sought out internships at age 14. Frankly you were a lazy ass and now you're paying for it.
>>
High schools and even elementary schools should do more for career counseling and helping students figure out what they want to do

Millenials my age are still switching programs trying to figure out where they belong while racking up tons of debt

There needs to be guidance at an earlier age that's easily accessible.
>>
>>1262834
>Programming
>In 2003
>For High School students

You're funny kid.

There was a computer science class which taught programming but it was for Juniors and Seniors. Only within the last 5 years has programming for kids been a thing. Even then, it's hardly a full time thing, let alone a part time thing. Extra curricular activities aren't enough
>>
>>1262888
No. "What you want to do is a meme."
>>
>>1262894
what, I learned it myself not in school, that was the whole point of my post
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.