[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it better to get situated in life when you get money or to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: .jpg (339KB, 3080x2134px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
339KB, 3080x2134px
Is it better to get situated in life when you get money or to immediately invest? Like say you inherited enough to buy a house, car and some clothes. Would it be better to buy those things or just invest it all and stay where you are in life. JW
>>
Clothes depreciate rapidly. As does a car.
I'd change absolutely nothing expect a dollar cost averaging program that occurs monthly or biweekly into an index fund. I suggest VNQ or VOO.
>>
>>1259158

houses depreciate rapidly too after adjustment for inflation.
>>
It depends what sort of lifestyle you want, your goals, your environment, etc. Any advice you get that says X is always better than Y is bullshit.

Do you simply want to subsist? In that case the house and car might be the best option, then you don't have to be too concerned about your income outside of saving for retirement.

Do you want to maximize your net worth in the long-term? In that case investing in an index fund might be the better choice.

The fundamental question: is it better to spend $X to eliminate costs of $Y, or to invest $X and deal with costs $Y?

Here's a good article on the subject: http://jlcollinsnh.com/2012/02/23/rent-v-owning-your-home-opportunity-cost-and-running-some-numbers/
>>
>>1259944
I understand your point regarding inflation and the appearance of ones home appreciating. However, I'd rather own my home at the end of a 15,30 year mortgage then let some landlord reap the cash flow and tax benefits. Furthermore, a free and clear deed allows me to cut down on a major housing expense. One third of people's salaries go to rent and in my golden years I'd rather not pay that.
>>
>>1260323
>One third of people's salaries go to rent
Then you're paying too much rent imo.
>>
>>1259034
Setting yourself up to be rent free forever is a fucking good idea
Dad bought me a house now I'm laughing.
I can use the saved income to do what I like with.
And it has taken the pressure out of being trapped in a job that I hate
>>
>>1259158
not when the clothes are a hyped supreme item

>>1259034
andy is the best
>>
well it's up to personal preference
for every 1 dollar you have in your possession now, you're giving up 1+t dollars in the future
>>
>>1260533
Lol not true based on national statistics and especially in the SF Bay Area rental market. Do you still live at home with mom and dad?
>>
if you inherited all the cash at once (for arguments sake, let's say it is 700k), you would be better mortgaging some into a house, investing some, spending some, etc. you get to enjoy a bit of it now and save enough for later.

people who win the lottery and don't know how to manage money typically lose it all. think of money as flowing, so when you make financial decisions, you can allocate a certain amount to flow in a given direction, which will let you reap the rewards (or losses, in the case of buying clothes endlessly) down the line or in the near future, depending on how you manage your money.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.