[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who else here has worked at a shitty entry level job? What did

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: target_logo.jpg (124KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
target_logo.jpg
124KB, 800x600px
Who else here has worked at a shitty entry level job? What did you learn from your experience?

I worked in the backroom at a Target in a somewhat rural part of Texas. I was surprised at how many people would get transferred here from the northeast. I also learned that if anybody is ever transferred from another Target store, it's almost always because they're lazy as shit, and it's hard to fire them as long as they at least show up to work.
>>
Worked the line at Chipotle.

I acquires insane people skills and charm. People wrote me ridiculously positive yelp reviews. Gay guys posted on craigslist missed connections about how cute I was.

Overall though it sucked. That's why I quit after a month and got an actually cool job.

(Full time video production at a company)
>>
>>1243800
>I acquires insane people skills and charm.
Really? Seems like you could just stand there and scoop food while smiling every few mnutes or so.
>>
Same. Warehouse at Target nearly 20 years ago.
First job and taught me i was hired to do a job first and foremost. Managers and supervisors don't give a shit if you're funny or people like you if you don't do the work they need done to do their job properly.
I didn't even learn it myself, my uncle in law made the fact clear under no uncertain terms that this was the case when i was bitching my supervisor out one day.

I was 14 at the time but that stuck with me.
>>
File: 1463068633134.jpg (276KB, 648x586px) Image search: [Google]
1463068633134.jpg
276KB, 648x586px
I'm a janitor attending community college right now.
>>
>>1243840
I learned from my job that managers don't care if you show up to work every day and do your job, they will threaten to fire you over random, menial reasons constantly.
>>
>>1243845
In 20 years working across multiple fields including service, hospitality, menial labour, network administration to current job as commercial electrician have i ever been threatened, disciplined or even hassled.
Maybe have a closer look at your own attitude. Showing up to work everyday and on time isn't a virtue. That's the fucking baseline, absolute bare minimum.
>>
>Who else here has worked at a shitty entry level job? What did you learn from your experience?

That the bosses don't really give a rip if you complain, you have to direct all your opinions to the manager -- the very guy who hired those people and were protecting them from the doing any actual work because they were his neighbors.

Don't pip a squeak, don't do more than you need to do, and don't complain because 90% of the time the manager won't listen to you. The whole gig is a system, where you are a cog, unable express any sort of agency. People don't fail, the systems fail. If you do more work than you should, then the manager will reap the praise and get promoted, not you. If you do less work than you should, then the manager will harass you for not meeting deadlines. Everything becomes a game of unquestionable loyalty, and promotions are based on seniority.

Granted, I shouldn't have been a warehouse laborer with a STEM degree from a somewhat reputable university, when my manager was a community college graduate.
>>
File: 2DOSycH9.jpg (32KB, 472x472px) Image search: [Google]
2DOSycH9.jpg
32KB, 472x472px
>has

22 here, and I still do. I'm on Target Checkouts. Easy work, fairly decent money on a casual rate if you get enough hours. I'm using it to pay off some of my student debt.
>>
>>1243907
how much $ an hour?
>>
Worked at a menards distribution center. Hours were kind of shit and some of the work was a bit dangerous but wasn't too bad.

I usually hear a lot of horror stories about the place and people whining about it but I think that's just the millennial attitude of complaining when they have to actually work.
>>
>>1243907
Just from the experience at my story, checkout seems like the 2nd shittiest position at target honestly. Only Flow team is worse because it's overnight, they keep you there until the job is completely done, and it attracts all sorts of dregs and weirdos.

In terms of the entry level jobs at target I'd rank them like this:

Backroom > Electronics > Hardlines = Softlines > POG > Checkout > Flow
>>
>>1244518
Worked backroom back in the early 2000's. Lots of useful exp from that job if you pay attention. Learning the Target branded experience, comparing and contrasting to a place like Walmart, is an excellent intro to branding and sales. Printing the logistics reports from receiving and learning how they correlate with procedures and actual sales results and productivity is a good intro to metrics, efficiency, and all that jazz. Sales/product stuff such as paying attention to how they promote higher margin stuff like softlines is useful too.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.