[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

when did you grow out of the "work has to be interesting"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

File: libtards.jpg (68KB, 430x539px) Image search: [Google]
libtards.jpg
68KB, 430x539px
when did you grow out of the "work has to be interesting" -meme? i did when i was like 14

there are actually people who fell for it and chose a retarded major like liberal arts or archeology and now complain how there are no jobs for it.

why cant they do the things on their free time? there are people who play golf and dont make any money from it, the fact that people like tiger woods do it as their profession doesnt mean everyone could
>>
>>1208490
18 and i figured out that the industry i was planning on going into (animation) was saturated with college kids piled high with huge art school debt competing for low-wage positions or even tumblr commissions.

Good thing both sides of my brain work
>>
>>1208490

24 after I'd already spent four years and £27,000 on a shit degree
>>
>>1208499
animation is a good gig. and an actual meritocracy unlike most jobs
>>
>>1208490
I got my CS degree because I thought it was fun, but only when I started working did I realize how shitty the job actually is. Sticking with it because the money is dope though.
>>
>>1208490
So what is it that you do? I mean, apart from post on a Polynesian shadow puppetry forum about how smart you are.
>>
>>1208490
I'm so fucking tired of you idiots saying "liberal arts degree" and have no idea what it means. It's a education paradigm. It doesn't mean you study underwater basket weaving. I went to a liberal arts school and I got a BSc, major in computer science and now I'm doing a MSc. Liberal arts just means you had to take courses from multiple subjects outside your major as your electives...
>>
>>1208490
>work shitty jobs I hate
>quit both of them with NO backup at all
>got called literally that week with an offer from my dream job I had applied to and interviewed for months ago and forgotten about

Yes OP stay miserable
>>
>>1208490
never grew out of it i happen to be interested in coding which payed pretty fucking well and lately investment and finance.
>>
>>1208490
>majored in criminal justice
>applied to become a game warden
>passed physical fitness and health exam
>make 70 grand a year hanging out in the woods yelling at Red necks and flirting with bitches
>get to have shoot outs with poachers
>get go boating and yell illegal fishermen
>will my coworkers are bro af
>bitches think it's sexy because I carry a handgun and rifle while I protect nature

My job is amazing but then again I wasn't a loser who gave up at 14 lmao.
>>
>>1209084
Congrats bro, that's one of the best feelings in the world.
>>
>>1208490

>studied what I love (linguistics/international relations)
>got a job in an interesting field that pays well

Suck my dick you mediocre faggot.
>>
>>1208490

30 here.

Here is what I discovered. It needs to be at least SOMEWHAT interesting.

I worked in payroll services and was on track to keep making more and more money. But the work is painfully mindnumbingly awful.

I do a different job that is not the love of my life, but it is somewhat rewarding.

True, no one needs the "dream job" but you need to at least like what you do a little or your career will make your life miserable.
>>
>>1209475

nice.

wish I had gone down this route.
>>
>>1208599
>a education paradigm
>a education
>>
>>1208566
>animation is a good gig. and an actual meritocracy unlike most jobs
top kek m8
>>
>>1208490
It's not a meme
>>
>>1209698
portfolio is shit=not hired
portfolio is good=hired

it's easy to tell if an artist is skilled, even for a layman. on the other hand if you're an engineer whose bad at interviews, you're going to miss out on opportunities simply because you can't communicate your value easily
>>
>>1208490

I started off not believing in that meme and chose Engineering.

I then started really believing that meme after realising how dull and dead end some engineering jobs can be.

I'm not a strategy consultant for a small firm in London, earning quite a bit more than I would as an engineer and enjoying my work a lot more.

It's not a meme OP.
>>
>>1210589

*now instead of not
>>
I'm nearing 30, making 24k, i've never had any interests, dropped out of college to take care of my parents, and am barely making it. I'd love to have a worthless degree to feel like I've accomplished something other than the nice walleye I caught last summer
>>
>>1209698
>>1210571

This dude is getting hired: http://www.rleonardi.com/interactive-resume/

The MFA with a manilla envelope full of sketches is not
>>
>realize this at 16
>go to an accounting degree because muh money, how cares if I'm going to be miserable and working insane hours
>get out of school and can't find a job
>take a shitty AR/AP job at a local company for $12 an hour, job is miserable want to kill myself every day
>work this for two years
>eventually luck into a government accounting job where I'm making good money, have a ton of vacation time, and work is actually fun

I guess the point is go for whatever the fuck you want, because there are still tons of people even on this board who fall for the STEM/Accounting memes and are stuck in shit jobs or out of work. If I didn't luck out my life would be over despite putting my interests aside in hopes of landing a good job. AR/AP positions out of college are death sentences.
>>
Engineering master race reporting in
>>
>>1210599
post pics of the walleye unless youre a filthy liar
>>
>>1208599
It's you who doesn't understand what a liberal arts degree is. Just because you went to a liberal arts schools doesn't mean you got a liberal arts degree. As you stated, you got a bachelor of science degree.

Alternatively, a student can go to a state university and get a liberal arts degree, i.e. a bachelor of arts. Which is what OP is talking about.
>>
>>1211041
Psychology is a liberal art.
>>
>>1209475
Sounds like a cool career. Have you ever actually been in a shoot out before?
>>
>>1208490
It's best if you can enjoy your job, but if not at least do something you're good at or can make you money.
>>
>>1211042
Not sure what your point is, but a bachelor of science in Psychology is NOT a liberal arts degree. A bachelor of arts in Psychology (the much more common psych degree), however, is liberal arts.
>>
>>1208490
Never, I pretty much found my dream job. Always interesting and it pays pretty well for not requiring any kind of college degree (50k starting)
>>
>>1211046
Yeah my bad, I misread what you said.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.