[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.salon.com/2014/06/08/col leges_are_full_of_it_beh

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: back_to_school-620x412.jpg (53KB, 620x412px) Image search: [Google]
back_to_school-620x412.jpg
53KB, 620x412px
http://www.salon.com/2014/06/08/colleges_are_full_of_it_behind_the_three_decade_scheme_to_raise_tuition_bankrupt_generations_and_hypnotize_the_media/
>The price of a year at college has increased by more than 1,200 percent over the last 30 years, far outpacing any other price the government tracks: food, housing, cars, gasoline, TVs, you name it. Tuition has increased at a rate double that of medical care, usually considered the most expensive of human necessities. It has outstripped any reasonable expectation people might have had for investments over the period.
Thoughts, biz?
Is college still the great financial decision it was for generations of yore?
>>
>price goes up
>value goes down
>is it still worth it

sometimes
>>
>Salon
>>
College and school in general is just a meme to babysit kids while they are too hormonal and stupid to be of any use.
>>
>>1180704

This is probably true, a lot of my mates from high school who didn't go to college just fucked around and are only now going to school at 24-25 because they are mature enough to realize they will be in poverty the rest of their lives if they keep doing what they are doing
>>
>>1180704
it's an accreditation system to help employers know you aren't a retard

problem is the pool of employment opportunities is decreasing while the number of college educated is increasing. it's the new high school
>>
as long as HR retards demand degrees for anything above menial tasks, people will go to college

as a graduating senior i am appalled by how stupid 90% of my classmates are. they will put the degree on their resume but it will have no bearing on their ability to function in any position
>>
>>1180695
>salon
>>
If my kid was old enough to go to college next year, I would only pay for Science, math, or business fields.

The arts are worthless, you don't need an English degree to write a novel, and you don't need a Journalism degree to write for Forbes. I have an English degree and a Teaching certification and instead Im a Fraud manager for an oil company, in the end, better pay and perks beat virtue and passion.

College is great for making friends and contacts you'll have for ever, but if your not engaged in that community, your fucking wasting your time. That said, without a 4 year degree don't expect to make more than 50k in the corporate world.

If any of you reading this just got out of college, I know it sucks having to work entry level with other leas educated losers who never went to college or plan too. Hang in there, work hard, get that work experience under your belt and you'll be making the money that society and culture assured you would get in time. It took me 5 years out of college to get to 50k, once you hit that at level, 75l is around the corner
>>
Go to a community college for your first two years and get that General Ed done. There is no reason to go to an expensive university all four years.
>>
You could expect a relatively high internal rate of return from a bachelor's, unless you get a degree in sociology or some bullshit
>>
File: 1375895500410.jpg (167KB, 479x640px) Image search: [Google]
1375895500410.jpg
167KB, 479x640px
>>1180766

Recent computer engineering grad here, I just got hired as a hardware engineer at a startup for 55k. I'm really excited to get some extremely valuable experience and I would not be here without my education. The courses expanded everything, my professors were like friends, and the co-op got me much further than I would have gotten without it.

So yeah, things to consider. I like the arts, but I don't think they're practical. I generally agree that say theater art majors should have a business or accounting major to pay the bills and join community theaters and just get out and do it.

I don't see the need to limit yourself.
>>
>>1181595

This man speaks the truth. Much easier transition as well.
>>
>salon
might as well link the onion
>>
>>1181595
I'm at community college and I feel like a cuck

No one want to socialize and I have zero chance if getting laid because no dorms

At least the classes are OK
>>
>>1181648
Curious, what does your startup do?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.