[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You have won or otherwise earned 100k, post tax. What do you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: Beat the shit out of this box.gif (956KB, 400x169px) Image search: [Google]
Beat the shit out of this box.gif
956KB, 400x169px
You have won or otherwise earned 100k, post tax.

What do you do with it to ensure you never need to work again.
>>
Move to Africa.
>>
>>1177128
buy blue chip dividend stocks. drip. repeat.
>>
>>1177128
>What do you do with it to ensure you never need to work again.
It's not enough. Sorry, anon.
>>
>>1177128
invest it and reap the dividends. re-invest 10% of your dividend yield to grow your stocks as time passes. Assuming your ROI is 10% per annum, you have $9000 per year of not working and making money
>>
>>1177128
>100k
Almost literally nothing. comeback to me with 500K and then we can talk about a MODEST retirement where you basically live in a shack.
>>
>>1177128
Buy Trumpcoins.
>>
>>1177237
I feel like this omits social security which largely covers living expenses as long as you're frugal and added interest while you're retired.

My grandparents retired with 200k in their 50s (yeah, I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea either), but are just now getting to the point where they'll have to sell their house, 20 years later. If they had waited until 60 with 500k they would have been able to maintain their standard of living, which is squarely middle class, until they died.
>>
I think about this a lot. Here's a plan:

First, take all the money and purchase 4 rentals on mortgage. Following the 1% rule, they will be 100k each and have 20k down. At 5%, this will net almost 1800 / month before federal taxes, maintenance and vacancy. After all that, you'd maybe get a thousand a month coming in. You'll have less than 20k left after closing costs.

Then, you want to have somewhere nice to live, but really cheap. You buy something like this to live in (all cash it's 17k):

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2512-13th-Ave-Gulfport-MS-39501/2133793507_zpid/?view=public

You buy it all cash for risk mitigation. It's near the beach, it needs work (which you will do slowly as cash dribbles in), and even more importantly it has 3 bedrooms. Yes, you'll be getting 2 room-mates to supplement your income, to the tune of let's say $400 per person. That's another $800 a month. The rest of the cash, you keep as float. Now you're making $30k per year in an inexpensive beach town with a fully-paid-off house. It may work.

Alternatively, you take your last 20k, buy rental #5 and boost your income another $400 and move to somewhere like Ajijic in Mexico. Nice resort by the lake, quite a few gringos for company, and probably cheaper than even Gulfport. You'll be renting there.

(cont'd)
>>
>>1177434
There are definite problems with this plan, though, mainly with risk. One longer vacancy will drop your income dramatically and I don't like the fact that you won't have any cash reserves if things go tits-up. You'll even be sweating it if a larger repair bill comes in.

It may be better to get the main house on a mortgage (which would be really low) and get the rest of the money working for you too.

Ultimately, this plan is highly leveraged and trades income for risk. But, there are some upsides too.

First upside: you're shielded from inflation. Your rents will track inflation, giving you small raises as rents eventually go up.

Second upside: You're leveraged, so once you're paid off on the house, you'll get a raise. This can be accelerated by working and paying things off faster

Third upside: you're partially shielded from taxes because of depreciation.
>>
>>1177434
>>1177439
Damn, this was an interesting read. I'm not OP, just somebody dropping in, but I think it would be neat to invest in real-estate if I ever have some funny-money. This stuff just seems really fun the way you've described it.
>>
>>1177455
Heh, yea, I love thinking about these types of rock-bottom tight-budget retirement schemes. I'm actually retired at this point on real estate income, so I've had some experience with all of this.

Maybe soon I'll take a drive down to Gulfport and the south cost just to see how it is for realzies. Most of my research about places to live are just internet-based.
>>
>>1177477
do you have a throwaway email and time to teach me your ways sensei?
>>
Buy ETH
>>
>>1178052
Sure, here's a temporary one

[email protected]

Just email me and I'll respond back with my real email.
>>
$100k for retirement? Is this a troll? There is just no way short of living as a hermit. My wife and I spent nearly $90k post tax last year.
>>
>>1178054
>April, 2016
buying ETH instead of buying into the BTC halving
>>
>>1178138
>2016
>buying either
>>
>>1178128
Wtf did you buy even
>>
>>1177200
Retard. He would make more money buying blue chips that dont pay dividends
>>
>>1177434
>First, take all the money and purchase 4 rentals on mortgage.
>getting a mortgage without an income
>>
>>1178571
That's kinda called a job since you will spend most of your life doing maintenance work on your properties.... And not a fun job for the matter
>>
>>1178555
>being this ignorant of stock mechanics.

What business school did you fail out of?
>>
ok this thread has been fun.

Now what would be the minimum amount to retire at 35?
>>
>>1178617
I don't think age has much to do with it. It's mostly about starting capital.

Sure, life expectancy factors in somewhat, but it's more about actual income from investment.
>>
I'm assuming by not having to work you mean not having to go to a typical job again and that you're open to opening a business.

If I had no place to stay I'd rent a cheap ass room for 6-12 months while I wait for my businesses to get going which we'll assume will be like 10k for the year. With the other 90k I'd invest a couple thousand into starting a bunch of businesses, double down on the ones that are giving me the biggest returns and scrap the losers. The idea is that if you diversify by starting enough well researched businesses eventually one of them will work out. There's a bunch of online business you could start as well as some offline ones that require very little startup money and can run on autopilot once you get your systems in place. Some ideas include:

1) Selling products on Amazon. You can easily take a course or find free information online about how to launch products on Amazon. Amazon is cool because you can literally send in 1000 items to them and they will process/ship all your orders for you. It's as simple as finding out what sells, buying it online from Alibaba.com, shipping it into amazon, buying ads for your products, and watching it run on autopilot. Look online and you'll see there's plenty of people making millions a year doing this. With a few thousand dollars you can launch multiple products. Some products won't sell but you can test the market by not ordering too many at once and double down on the winners. There are people who make thousands a day selling one product.

2) Investing in real estate through lease options. I'll let you google that but essentially it's a zero down, almost risk free way to invest in real estate and you can hire virtual assistants to make calls for you.

There's a bunch of other ways but I don't like competition.
>>
>>1179258
>I'm assuming by not having to work you mean not having to go to a typical job again and that you're open to opening a business.

very much so, thanks
>>
>>1177200
What stocks do you recommend?
>>
>>1179258
Any reccs on guides for that?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.