[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it unethical that I visit every thrift store in my city every

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: pic6.png (185KB, 524x420px) Image search: [Google]
pic6.png
185KB, 524x420px
Is it unethical that I visit every thrift store in my city every day in search of goods that are worth much more then they are sold for? ($5 clothing that's brand-name and worth $50+, quality books and antiques, random furniture that sells well on Etsy, etc.)

This is stuff that is supposed to be sold to people who are struggling and I'm taking it and selling it for a profit.

Am I a monster?
>>
no that's pretty much how most people start out.

it might be unethical if you bought out entire inventories and sold it back to them, but i don't think that works.
>>
>>1171675
"how most people start out"

S-so it's okay?

Or are we all monsters...
>>
>>1171668

>rubbinghands.jpeg

You realize that the goodwill CEO's make million dollar salaries? Pretty sure nobody cares about you flipping used Levi's champ.
>>
>>1171678
I feel like I'm literally taking childrens happiness away (I sell childrens toys that I buy by the crate.)

It just feels sticky sometimes.
>>
>>1171679
Yes, it'd be more on the up and up to get a tax license and distributor account. But I don't think it's realistic for a small business to be in retailing today. The bigger chains can cope with a fickle and desperate customer base. They have tons of space where tons of inventory can sit for a long time. You, on the other hand, have little inventory that needs to turn over quickly for you to get anywhere. Good luck.
>>
>>1171679
The brats had it coming for not being enterprising businesspeople like yourself. Parasites.
>>
>>1171679

where do you sell? online?
>>
>>1171724
Online, but also in person through Facebook/Local Auction sites.
>>
Not at all, it's all voluntary. They don't have to sell you the clothes if they don't want to.

Also, most thrift stores, even the charitable ones, like Salvation Army are not there to help poor people by selling them cheap stuff, they're there to earn money which they use in their actual charitable efforts.
>>
>>1171729
This. The purpose is to make money so that they can actually help people. Selling cheap stuff is just a gimmick mostly, and it's almost 100% profit.
>>
>>1171668
My sister does this on Ebay, like thousands of other sellers. She a homemaker but will still rake in what a min wage worker brings in annually...not too shabby.

Some do say it is unethical but it is also playing by rules of capitalism and simple valuation theory: an item is worth what someone will pay for it. Businesses practice this everyday and in every way.

If you hunted down a book for a $1 then I turn around and by it from you for $10 thinking that was fair and reasonable then this is a win win and you made %900 profit. That's Cocaine dealer hauls!! Maybe you shouldn't be doing this after all.
>>
>>1171678
I bet all the Goodwill CEO's get together in room with all of the COO's and they decide to fire all of the CFO's, there's probably 10 of them anyway, too many.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.