[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How smart would it be to try and get into the video games industry?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (46KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46KB, 800x600px
How smart would it be to try and get into the video games industry?

It seems like it's absolutely fucked by feminists and SJWs
>>
the problem isn't sjws it's that too many people are in it now because it's simplified by shit like unity

I hear that over 500 new games hit the app stores every day. hard to make it as a small time dev in that environment

if you're thinking of working for a bigger company they'll treat you like shit because everyone wants to work in vidya
>>
>>1169010
I'd say its a good idea if you're not involved in it for the wrong reasons and are beyond that neckbeard gap.

Its a billion dollar industry, and you have loads of platforms and various engines to fall back onto creation and development. Assuming you want to make and sell your own games, it can be a pretty spiffy return if you succeed. However, the market is saturated with non cooperate games and it can be hard to make something stand out. Undertale, which was made in arguably the worst engine I've ever used (game-maker) managed to reap in about 3.9 million between the year of 2015-2016 according to steamspy. I can only imagine how much that five night's at freddy's owner made between five games now.

As far as general game development goes Writing, Art, Music Composition, Programming are the main grounds needed to be covered. Non development grounds required are Accounting, Marketing, and then finding a legal firm to copyright/patent/ect your works. Eventually public service representatives down the line if you manage to go cooperate.

Considering there is hundreds of game reviewers/players/general other review medias all over the web now you have a pretty good amount of options in marketing said game today if you shoot them some emails and messages.

You're right on the marker about feminism and left wing pandering being a common theme in this industry, but thats mainly directed in the indie game scene. The group of nobodies and special snowflakes who think they're going to be the new-age faces of video games and make ground breaking innovations when they can't even handle facts and being disagreed with. This media is tackled by them because its easier to prey on impressionable young adults, teens, and children because thats the majority in age groups that plays video games. If you keep your head out of the political side and focus on making good games, you're likely to get the positive attention you would want.
>>
>>1169054
Thanks for the response bro, do you have experience in the industry?

If I go into it I'd try to avoid the neckbeard fantasy shit
>>
>>1169019
As with all computer-related jobs these days, it always pays more to be a programmer or engineer. Graphics/sound/storyboard people will continue to be marginalized as their work becomes more automated.
>>
I am a compose music and sound for videogames.
>>
>>1169054
>Non development grounds required are Accounting, Marketing, and then finding a legal firm to copyright/patent/ect your works

Hahahaha dumbass

You don't need any of these things, all you need to do is get artists, programmers and graphic designers to sign away copyright to you

marketing doesn't matter- see minecraft

accounting doesn't matter

then you make fucking bank
>>
>>1169010
you're better off making a game first. get yourself some Unity or Unreal or RPG maker and then lurk /v/ for ideas. It's a lot of work with one person but if you execute that /v/ idea and execute it well you'll have your foot in the door with at least an expanding Indie dev

the other down side from that, besides working your ass off completing that first game, is that you'll probably have to move to America's cancerous ass cheek - California
>>
>>1169140

I do. I've been a hobbyist game designer for 6 years, interned for Playstation under Game Programming for about 3 months (You can apply online and they do international internships last I remember), and I have only recently gone indie.

Have a Bachelors in Game Design, minor in Game Programming.

I wouldn't consider fantasy as neckbeard pandering considering the amounting of creative intensity and world-building you wouldn't believe is poured into it. Especially in Tolkien fantasy. Things like an economic system in game amongst various other details tend to go ignored. I've seen developers and artist alike get extremely disappointed when these details go unappreciated, and for all good reason. If you're in it for animated cute girls and or are a pseudo intellectual idea guy who think he knows the industry hes never been apart of like >>1169162 here, then you'd be a neckbeard in my opinion.
>>
As an art school graduate with a game design degree, I can safely say it is getting taken over by the social justice scene. Game companies that are AAA are trying not to offend these people their hardest and the indie developers are just as full of themselves and just as stupid as Kanye West. The only way to make a difference right now is you have to be the boss of yourself if you're serious about this game business. Get a part-time job while making a game with a good idea and disconnect yourself from these hordes of parasites. Pick the best people to connect or join your team. Do not fall for the traps as they will suck you like vampires.

Or don't. Find something better with your time. Starting positions are minimum wage in my area and getting your foot in the door in the first place may not be worth it. Please choose carefully unlike what I did.
>>
>>1169207
>As an art school graduate
I cringed reading that.

So whats ur new plan now? Are you still going into something with art?
>>
>>1169221
I'm trying to make a game on my own while working a part-time job. If it's successful I'll just make more. If not I got to swing over something else like a degree or certificate that won't be too expensive to get.

The art school shit was a big fucking mistake. Went there because of their high success rate. Should've known there was a catch involving a lot of shit outside of school. Doesn't help most of the students and teachers are left-wing leaning clowns.

Should've went for computer science. That's what game companies specifically say they look for (or something related) when it comes to degrees. Can also go a long way If I'm correct.
>>
>>1169010
>How smart would it be to try and get into the video games industry?
For what reason?

If your goal is to make money, then it's a retarded idea. It's hugely saturated due to every kid and his dog wanting to make games. Because, you know, it's fun. It's kind of like the nerd equivalent of starting a band.

Most indie types fail utterly.

okay, you can make money, but you have to be the cream of the crop and/or have a huge budget.

>>1169162
this guy's first point is actually 100% true, but the rest is not.

Minecraft is the exception, not the norm. And there is no making exceptional bank unless you get really lucky, but the chance of that is close to zero. The best you should hope for is to make a reasonable income doing something you enjoy.
>>
>>1169255
>but you have to be the cream of the crop
also want to expand on that:

"cream of the crop" means a lot of things. It doesn't have to mean the mass market highly polished successful indie bullshit.

It can mean, the small team who have perfected their ability to rapidly churn out games in a certain niche, and do so repeatedly, slowly building up a small but dedicated fan base over time.
>>
>>1169010
It's alright. You just have to game the system. 500 new games may hit the app store every day, but only a small number of them attempt to be clones of successful games.

Just make a ton of clones from successful games and you can probably pull off some okay money.
>>
>>1169191
Good shit, sounds like you'll go far

I had an idea for an open world game based on the second season of the show Jericho but need a team behind it
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.