[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I out that I'm in the National Guard on my resume?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: FB_IMG_1458503807022.jpg (43KB, 639x566px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1458503807022.jpg
43KB, 639x566px
Should I out that I'm in the National Guard on my resume? The job I have in it is relevant to the jobs I'm applying to.
>>
File: 9:11saved.gif (1MB, 393x281px) Image search: [Google]
9:11saved.gif
1MB, 393x281px
>>1153741
>specialize in the act of strategically killing and harming others
>expect skills useful in a governmental job sphere to be as useful in a voluntary free market, not predicated on coercion

If you're applying for a job as a security guard or a police officer, go ahead.
>>
>>1153747
Wew lad.
I fix computers and have a top secret clearence m8
>>
>>1153747
>everyone in the military is infantry

Are all Muslims this dumb?
>>
Absolutely, of course you would.

Employers want to see transferable skills on your resume. I used to interview people for telemarketing positions. I'd always ask if they had any experience. So many times they would say "Not really I just worked at Starbucks" or something like that.

Are you kidding me? If you worked at Starbucks, you're great at working in a fast paced environment, team skills, customer service skills, etc. All of these skills are required for the positions we were hiring for, but they didn't realize it.

You're in the National Guard? You have leadership experience, experience working in teams, etc. A lot of people in the U.S. also give tremendous respect for anyone who serves.

>tl;dr list it
>>
Yes, you're better off including it because it implies focus, determination, and discipline. If your potential employer is a jackwagon like the one in your pic, you don't want to work for them anyways.
>>
Absolutely. For two reasons:

1) If you are still in the National Guard you still have duties to perform on occasion, right? If so they need to know that in advance. Scheduling is much easier when you aren't getting blind-sided by events where the employee knew in advance it was coming up.

2) The existence of a military background on a résumé is something I've always viewed as a good sign since it tends to weed out those with no motivation to actually do work. The employer in OP's pic is a moron since I've had the exact *opposite* experience with every employee that had military training (i.e. they were *better* at handling stressful situations with clients, not worse).

(I'm a CTO for a small IT company if you feel that makes any difference in the point of view for my answers.)
>>
File: 1385105125474.gif (2MB, 230x175px) Image search: [Google]
1385105125474.gif
2MB, 230x175px
>>1153750
>>1153759
>implying that acting as an accomplice to systemic violence is not equally as bad as discharging the violence itself
>>
>>1153750
Navy?
>>
My main issue is that electronics companies tend to be liberal as fuck.

Its kind of hard to explain my 6 IT certs, as well as my top secret clearance on top of my degree in electrical engineering without mentioning it desu.
>>
>>1153809
damn.
>>
>>1153741
dude don't listen to anyone who says that being in the military is somehow going to make you a "worse" applicant. A lot of the time being a veteran puts you at the front of the line because certain employers maintain quotas in which they have to hire a certain number of veterans. It's like being the token female black woman.

typically people who talk shit about veterans do so because they don't have comparable experience. I've gotten offers that typically need like 3 years experience when I went to job fairs, but my background wasn't infantry or artillery (those jobs really don't translate well into civilian work).

If you're intelligence or signals (which is what you should be) or medical (meh) it's going to help you a lot on your resume, but you should never leave out that you are a veteran on a resume or application because there are programs and incentives you're entitled to that you might not otherwise receive.
>>
>>1153809
thanks for le tax dollars champ
>>
>>1154097

He didn't say he was a vet.
>>
File: whatever.gif (1MB, 275x200px) Image search: [Google]
whatever.gif
1MB, 275x200px
>>1154100
I hope you feel great for participating in the perpetuation of widespread systematic violence, and theft.

You've surely made the world a better place and fought for your country in the process, fellow patriot!
>>
>>1154470
it was just a profitable move, arguably the most profitable for me. Ideologically you and I are different so you can't exactly try and assert that your view is better than mine and vice versa.

some people don't care about other people, you do get that right?
>>
>>1153741

> That crybaby female vet

ridiculous. Nearly all employers look at military service as a plus.

Besides, taking to the internet with the complaint is retarded.
>>
The fact that this woman is applying for Macy's shows that she didn't do jack shit while deployed. She probably cooked or handled logistics. Women in the Military is the most fucking stupid expense the government has.
>>
>>1153747
>specialize in the act of strategically killing and harming others
15yo detected
>>
>>1154470
Dude, like the world is evil man, like we should all just smoke weed lmao
>>
>>1154470
you're a childish, smug faggot, stop acting like you're mature and morally superior to people. if you have a job in America you're supporting that big, bad violent system just as much as a fucking computer tech in the national guard. goddamn you're fucking retarded
>>
>>1154470
>bitches about U.S. Military actions
>is on the internet
>>
>>1153931
>military experience
>6 certs
>Top Secret clearance
>fucking bachelor's in EE

Who wouldn't hire this guy?
>>
>>1153741
Maybe she should just marry me and let me provide for her while she bares our numerous chinpanic children with her fertile Hispanic womb?
>>
>>1153741
I don't really buy these stories
>>
I wouldn't hire anyone in the military senpai. Supporting imperlism is literal trash. Plus PTSD and all that.
>>
File: sweden.gif (2MB, 300x182px) Image search: [Google]
sweden.gif
2MB, 300x182px
>>1154470
This post is Crunchy Granola as fuck. Embarassing.
>>
>>1153809
that's kinda edgy
>>
File: 1388703161118.jpg (52KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1388703161118.jpg
52KB, 300x300px
>>1154470
we millennials bruh we didn't support that systematic violence cause we weren't born yet aimiright brev? let's go shop at Whole Foods and #OccupyWallStreet with our iMacs and make a real difference. I'm posting on /biz/ Feel the Bern
>>
>>1156839
Wow dude your generalizations sure do hold ground and hurt muh feelings. Im so triggered. You sound like a classy guy.
>>
>>1153741
You have a many employers who have a boner for anyone with US military service. So you'd get pushed to the front of the line with that alone.
As for the woman in the image believe it or not what Macy's lady said is true. Too many former military people have shit attitudes. They think they're billy badass and do get overly aggressive in situations where it's not needed or the best choice. Some think they're above other people because they're former service men or are from a certain branch (looking at you marines). With that being said not all of them are like this, I've met guys who have been on the front line but are sweet and docile. But the ratio of those with shitty attitude in my experience has been greater than the nice.
I don't think you will have any issue though.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.