[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Majoring in accounting and finance >accounting is boring

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_61881.jpg (45KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_61881.jpg
45KB, 400x400px
Majoring in accounting and finance
>accounting is boring as shit and I just cant accept being a public accountant for a few years working 80 hours for 50 k a year
>tired of telling people my major and them instantly showing a bored expression, I was told it lead to a good job you stupid linguistics major
>go to tier 2 university so I know finance is useless,
> im a junior and too late to switch degrees because I need a job and to pay off debt
>already committed to the fact that Ill go back to night school when im done to become something like a doctor or PA because thats better than getting stuck in the accounting world my whole life

>anyone actually enjoying accounting?
>I thought of just working in it for a few years then using the CPA title to bounce ship into a more profitable manager world but that sounds too vague in the first place.
>>
>>1152666
Its a lot better than entry level work so in that way im thankful.
Still I just dont think you should absolutely hate your work after investing so much time and money into getting the degree to find the better paying job
>>
>Something like a doctor

Do you seriously believe that?

>Hmm weird day today, fuck it I think I'll undertake 250k in debt and 10 years of my life studying desu. Maybe afterwards I'll become a scientist if I feel like it
>>
>>1152670
Well I realize that so I mentioned a PA
>>
I agree OP accounting is a huge trap I fell for it too.

>oh just major in accounting there's tons of jobs and you just have to be slightly smart and will get an easy 40k a year and if you work hard you can make 200k

All lies. I fell for this meme. Didn't network enough and have no family connections and struggled to get a shitty A/R A/P job out of college making 26k a year being a glorified mule for my rich fuck boss still living at home because I'm a poor worthless fuck. This might actually be a blessing compared to actually having got into a CPA firm and having to work 80 hour weeks in a high stress environment for 40k a year and getting brainwashed into the CPA cult of lifeless drones who literally sold out their soul for 40k busting their ass hoping to get middle management positions in a few years for even more stress and a few extra dollars that isn't even worth it.

It's a hellhole you can't win either way. Don't fall for the meme and get out if you still can.

I'd go computer sci if I could do it all over again but then I'd have to compete with the HB-1 workers.

I'm trying to get a government job that will be the only saving grace.
>>
>>1152709
You're just lazy and unmotivated

You'd have become unsuccessful with any major.
>>
>>1152710
Nah, I had a 4.0, did a lot of volunteer work during the tax season and worked small shitty part time jobs whatever I could find during school. I just made the mistake of not joining any of the accounting frats while I was going to school (I guess they were more like clubs) which all the elite firms do their hiring from. The accounting community is kind of like a cult it's actually scary not that I'm kind of away from it.

Accounting really is a soul sucking profession. You won't understand until you experience it firsthand.

I develop websites as a freelancer now on the side and make a decent living and will probably quit my job in a couple years. My goal was to get my CPA and develop accounting software but I didn't suck enough dick in college to get into a CPA firm and if they don't hire you by your senior year kiss that dream goodbye.
>>
>>1152720
Currently work as a corporate accountant for Coke. DESU it's not the best but it's a really low stress job with a lot of vacation time. Don't go into public accounting and you should be good to go.
>>
>>1152666
>accounting is boring as shit and I just cant accept being a public accountant for a few years working 80 hours for 50 k a year

This is precisely why I dropped out of accounting after 2 years, familiy.
>>
Be smart and do Economics instead
>>
File: 1418006901588.jpg (68KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1418006901588.jpg
68KB, 768x1024px
>>1152666

>go to tier 2 university so I know finance is useless,

what is with this meme on /biz/ these days?
>>
>>1152817

>Be smart and do Economics instead

and also this meme?
>>
>>1152720

>thinking a frat was going to make you successful

No wonder you didn't make it
>>
>>1152720
>My goal was to get my CPA and develop accounting software but I didn't suck enough dick in college to get into a CPA firm and if they don't hire you by your senior year kiss that dream goodbye.

Can't you get into a small firm? Here (Quebec, Canada) the firms are divided Big 4/Medium/Small (around 100 employees)
There are like 12 firms total, including the Big 4

Where do you live btw? How did manage to not get into a firm with a 4.0? How old are you?
>>
>>1152720
Forgot to ask, has your knowledge about financial accounting and taxes been helpful in your daily life or side business?

And when you say you make a decent living, you mean from your freelance site development or from your shitty accounting day job?
>>
>>1152709
80 hours a week. fuck that shit.
>>
WHAIT OP this is the thread i was looking for,everytime i made a post about accounting or Economics no one comment FUCK

I live in Argentina and here acconting is a really good job (better than Economics bcause it's dificult to get job) but accounting in other countrys like yours is USELESS,like they don't even make that much and its 6 years to get the fucking degree

but economics is like more risky but i can do a master and it would be great to work in another country or something like that
>>
If you want to work 80-100 hour weeks why not go into investment banking like I am...
>>
I studied accounting and got my CPA. Started in Big 4 and now I'm a sales engineer for a software company and make 120k at 26. Accounting is good, dummies.
>>
Accounting is fine. Don't blame a whole profession because of your own faults.
>>
>>1152666
Accounting feels like getting pounded in the ass all day long. No job is more disgusting.
>>
Do people really think they can come out of university and walk into high paying jobs??? Everyone has to climb the ladder one way or another.

As an accountant at a big 4 firm, I work 50 hour weeks for 40k a year. Once you qualify you can leave and work a chill job or go for a career.

Not bad options... Some very wealthy people I know are accountants or at least trained as one then moved into different industries
>>
There seems to be some myth that getting an accounting degree means you have to take an accounting job. You don't. You're eligible for just about any business role. It's just that going straight into Big 4 and public accounting, for most people, is the safest and easiest path.
>>
>>1152666
I work in gubmint and earn about 66k a year, not including superannuation.

I'm also an accountant and studying the Aus CPA.Things are pretty gud atm.

Work life balance is ridiculously nice.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.