[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>want to go to live in China >normal salaries there are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: pudong blue.jpg (17KB, 474x321px) Image search: [Google]
pudong blue.jpg
17KB, 474x321px
>want to go to live in China
>normal salaries there are shit
>have no idea how to go work there without getting paid a shit salary

I just want to get HSK 6 and eat xiaolongbao, /biz/ ;_;

Anyone else in this boat?
>>
Have you looked into teaching English?
>>
>>1152626
Yes

Considered it after college (I'd met a lot of Engrish teachers while there for a year during my undergrad), but decided against it - I'd be a year down the line with no real experience to show for it.

Looking back, it could have been a good option, may consider it for a career break or something.

For the moment, I'd prefer to go there as part of my normal career
>>
>>1152632
well what's your major now? try to get into a company that has a presence in China and see what you have to do to be placed there. Knowing how to speak the language will be a necessity.
>>
Expat in Shenzhen here. Do you have guanxi? You need guanxi. Showing up with no idea of anything will get you laughed out of the country.

Once you're established and have a decent grasp of the culture and language it's easy. If you're white and willing to bust your ass. Work is everything here. You also better be willing to assimilate if you want a social life beyond being treated like a rare zoo animal.

>I just want to get HSK 6 and eat xiaolongbao

You sound like a pathetic chinkaboo with no conception of what things are actually like. This is a second world country, and unlike Japan, there's no cultural obligation to be a good host. Foreigners are second class citizens if they're lucky.

>>1152626

Officially you need two years of documented experience, a bachelor's degree, and should have a teaching cert (recommended, but not a requirement). Realistically, you need guanxi, which is what I used in place of that to land my initial teaching job.

I realize I'm harping on the importance of guanxi, but it's impossible to understate the importance. It's everything here.
>>
>>1152748
>guano
How did you develop this, anon?
>>
>>1152748
I've never heard anyone try and make teaching English in China sound so hardcore.
>>
>>1152778
I established relationships by visiting several times and actively working at them. A genuine interest in Chinese culture - kung fu and its history in my case - and demonstrated willingness to invest effort in it goes a long way. Think of it as if the entire culture and economy are based around networking. I have literally gotten multiple jobs just by being a friendly white who can demonstrate understanding of how the society operates. The actual work and my lack of experience were irrelevant; it's about appearance and mien.

>>1152780
Teaching is stupid easy. The Chinese education model is nothing but rote memorisation. What's hard is adapting to a way of life and a perspective completely alien and in many cases directly opposed to western culture. There's a huge expat district here full of crusty fuckers who hate China and its culture because they can't swallow their pride and accept the way the country is. They are desperately unhappy.
>>
>>1152844
>What's hard is adapting to a way of life and a perspective completely alien and in many cases directly opposed to western culture

so what is the Chinese way of life in a nutshell?
>>
>>1152877
Communism, but not in the exaggerated stereotypical way - though you can see a good bit of that - or even in a truly Marxist, economic sense, as the society is extremely consumptive and materialistic. "Community" or "hive" are perhaps better words. The entire purpose of the individual is to be a piece of something greater, and to sacrifice itself to that ideal if it's useful to do so. Very much the opposite of America's "rugged individualism".

Paradoxically, everyone is trying to hustle or work an angle so they can get ahead of the pack. It's extremely selfish and mercantile. For example, they are not shy about egregiously polluting in order to cut costs and make some extra bucks.

In conclusion the real essence of Chinese culture is duality; being able to say or present something while doing the opposite. Things are often very two faced. But I'm biased because I have a very German sense of no nonsense directness (and work ethic, lucky for me). plus I live in the /biz/ of China: Shenzhen has no real culture or history. People come here solely to get paid; the place is a ghost town during CNY.
>>
>>1152910
Chinese communism is way way distanced from Marxism though

The core of Marxism is that the workers control the means of production

the Chinese would centralize and exploit the workers to the highest degree possible
>>
>>1152914
Read again, I specifically said we are not Marxist.
>>
Honestly, speaking as a Chinese person who routinely works with Chinese people and has a Chinese family, don't go to China for business. It's neat for family, heritage trips on vacation, but seriously don't go to China.

The entire expectations put upon you for a 'real' job is immense, people have simply learned to fake it and push the faults down the line. It's not worth it. I recommend Singapore, HK, Japan, or S.Korea.
>>
>>1152523
op, never ever go to China unless coke'nd'sluts. living there is almost as bad as any 3rd world shithole, Chinese have a tendency to fuck foreigners over 7 different ways.
>>
>>1152523
I live in Taiwan. It's a pretty good place to eat dumplings and learn Chinese. Internet isn't blocked either. Pretty cheap too.

I work online so I don't know about jobs, but there doesn't seem to be much for foreigners apart from English teaching which pays shit apparently.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.