[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A general question for STEMfags, particularly engineers: how

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: cary beth engineer.jpg (65KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
cary beth engineer.jpg
65KB, 960x960px
A general question for STEMfags, particularly engineers: how incompetent does someone have to be to get fired from a staff engineering position making ~$75k to falling back on a job making ~$55k as an engineering technician?

If you saw this on a resume would you conclude that the individual must be incompetent?
>>
>>1151297

If they only had one thing on their resume, I would assume the person is incompetent. yes.
>>
>>1151303

They have a college internship, the one job as staff engineer, then the job loss and reduction in pay, shifting to another employer.

So they can be assumed to be incompetent? How'd they slip through the cracks?
>>
When did he get let go? If it was during a downturn then he may have just been unlucky.
>>
>>1151297
Depends who is doing the hiring. If its someone with an engineering background they would likely not care as long as you can convince them that you can do the job. Everybody who is in engineering for longer than 10 yrs has either a drinking problem, personality/attitude problem or issues with their work ethic due to burnout. Its an area where what you build HAS TO WORK, not some powerpoint feel good bullshit. Make them like you and convince them you can do the job, the rest is details.
>>
>>1151319

No downturn.

>>1151321

I'm the one hiring.
>>
File: 1389453616008.png (121KB, 399x388px) Image search: [Google]
1389453616008.png
121KB, 399x388px
>>1151297
it'll look fucking terrible. you can't quit and you can't find a new job. you're trapped.
>don't forget, you're here forever

Now you understand why you're a wageSLAVE.

Besides, nobody likes a quitter. Hang in there chief lol
>>
>>1151324
What does it matter then? Talk to the guy and make up your own mind, 30 min over the phone should be enough.
>>
>non-engineering hiring engineering position

There are so many things wrong with this statement.
>>
>>1151361

I'm in chem. This person is civil.
>>
>>1151362
I don't know what a civil eng tech even does
>>
One is architectural/designer. The other is implementation/monkey.

If he fell from 75k to 55k and is applying for another 55k, then he's not smart enough to architect but good enough to follow complex instructions.

Or, he had a shitty mentor.

Pick him up.

If he went from 75k to 55k and now he's trying to step back into 75k, be very very cautious and bring in a Senior engineer. Not a Director, not a VP, but a brainiac
>>
>>1151297
Sometimes engineers like myself look at if the job is interesting rather than the wages. Also there are other stuff like "can I work from home?" or flexible work hours, cooler projects, better position and so on which make me choose a job over better wages.

Could be all sorts of reasons why he got fired, restructuring in the company and so on. Might have nothing to do with his work. But who writes their previous wages on the CV?
>>
>>1151401
This
Also more $ = more responsibility & stress. Its not automatically better to get paid more.
>>
>>1151297
Don't know about regular engineering but the sky is the limit for incompetents in IT. The easiest way to get fired is actually to know _more_ than the people you work with/for.
>>
I would hire him OP. An engineer with actual shop experience is a massive asset. I'm an engineering manager myself and I can't count on my hands how many times my staff have made some design that is nearly impossible to actually service or fabricate solely because they've never actually built anything with their own hands. Someone with that kind of insight will make your life soooo much easier.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.