[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've heard all over that finance will be getting more technical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

File: lines-of-code.jpg (521KB, 2235x1500px) Image search: [Google]
lines-of-code.jpg
521KB, 2235x1500px
I've heard all over that finance will be getting more technical etc...

Is it really worth it to spend time learning programming when the opportunity cost ( ;-) ) of learning programming would be less time spent on learning finance?

Can't we just outsource the programming?
>>
>opportunity cost ( ;-) )

explain this

do you not believe in the concept of an opportunity cost or what?
>>
>>1145051
>Can't we just outsource the programming?
You can, but you get exactly what you pay for.
>>
fine i'll admit it

i've taken an economics course or 4 ;--)

#cheeky
>>
>>1145051
the shortest answer is that in order to really know how to understand how financial indicators work, you have to Math. Coding is math.

....as a side note. I worked as a mutual fund salesperson because i did not know math. I wanted to trade but didn't have the skillz. ..Then the recession happened and the only people i knew who had jobs were technicians, engineers, and medical professionals. ..i went a got a computer science degree. Now i actuallly earn enough $$$ to invest and i can write the code to do it. LEARN TO CODE.
PROTIP- start with anaconda distribution of python
>>
>>1145081
so out of all the languages you would recommend python?

what about C++?

what do you think is wise to spend the most time on?
>>
>>1145084
hmm, how to explain the difference.

The grandad of all modern programming languages is C. Then it was upgraded to C++ for more functionality. If you understand C++ then all other languages will make some sort of sense; C++ is their daddy to some extent. But C++ is a bitch for parsing data. An explanation would take too long. Since C++ is a bitch to parse data, some geniuses wrote langues specifically for this. Of those, python is the easiest to lean. C++ is not intuitive where python is. You can 'read' another persons python code and know more or less wtf is happening. This is not neccesarily so with C++
>>
>>1145084
short answer is most quants "people who use code to trade" use python (most popular, and free), matlab (expensive proprietary math software), or R (never used this; popular before python, and still popular)
>>
>>1145081
PROTIP: don't enter a saturated market because an idiot tells you to do so. Coding is understanding, and once we understand it, we teach computers to understand it. Dying.

>>1145051
Outsourcing programming is exactly what will be the standard in a couple years. Half of the worlds programmers will be african, indian, south-american, chinese, ... Once these people obtain solid internet access and are able to devote and invest more time than us, oursourcing cheap programming will become common.

Don't let facebook, uber, etc. lift you to heaven, they are exceptions. I'm not saying it is impossible, but highly unlikely.

Finance is become more technical because we choose to make it more technical. At its core it will always be more psychological than technical and that's what the smart ones bear in mind.

Sure, a decade ago analysing a graph with a computer was impossible, and up until now and probably for the next couple years loads of profits are to be made, but after that, competition will be too fierce, margins will decrease, and the rich will benefit once again in the long run.
>>
>>1145084
Learning to program is like learning to drive a car. Once you learn one vehicle you will obviously be most comfortable in that vehicle but you could get out and drive pretty much any other vehicle with a few minutes of familiarizing yourself.

Programming is not really math unless you are doing some graphics stuff or possibly optimization, in which case you need a solid grounding in specific math theory stuff. Almost all enterprise programming though is either website/database development and maintenance, or processing. Unless you work for an extremely small company you will never do website design (arranging stuff on the screen) or statistical analysis. Programming is about solving problems and building new features without ruining the house of cards that's already been built.
>>
>>1145095
did someone tell you about saturated markets at 18? faggot
>>
>>1145097
lol graphics is math.
>>
>>1145099
Elaborate
>>
>>1145095
i sense zero personal experience.
>>
>>1145097
> "math theory stuff"
>>
>>1145103
facebook and uber was just badly worded
>>
>>1145110
I did some OpenGL stuff in college and that shit blew my mind. I'm just calling it "math theory stuff" because I have no shame admitting I do not understand it at all. Matrix transformations are just not a thing my brain can wrap around easily.
>>
>>1145101
Of course it is... he meant graphics programming, not drawing graphics on mspaint .
>>
>>1145114
>Matrix transformations are just not a thing my brain can wrap around easily.

It doesn't matter that much. Underneath the hood, yes, OpenGL calls like translate, rotate and scale are matrix math. But you just have to implement them once and they're just an abstraction you deal with. It's important for you to understand what is going on underneath the hood with that, Phong shading, Bresenham line algorithm and all that, but you implement that once and then are dealing with higher levels of abstraction.
>>
>>1145114
Are you fucking retarded
>>
>>1146282
Is everyone here fucking retarded?
Especially you OP with your ;-)
>>
>>1146288
at least we know for a fact >>1146282 is retarded.
>>
>>1145101
>lol graphics is math.
ever tried programming an engine, KEK do your python scriptkid and stfu.
>>
>>1145081
>Coding is math.

not really
>>
>>1146450
Coding is logic
>>
>>1146484
math = algorithm = logic

but go ahead and talk out of your ass some more to sound like you know shit.
>>
>>1146503
language is also logic. I code for work every day and I rarely use math. If you want to go very abstract you can say language is math or something but I don't believe that's what you meant in the first place.
>>
>>1146503
hahaha jesus christ I hate it when people think that they make smart comments.

So by your LOGIC (get it the topic at hand):

Coding is pure logic, I cannot explain it differently
Math is algorithm which is also logic
Therefore coding is Math?

Your scripts must be filled with misused = and == signs.
>>
>>1146503
Bleach is mostly water, we're mostly water, therefore we are bleach
>>
>>1146529
flawless math bro
>>
>>1146537
I know right
>>
>>1145051
Depends on the job
Overall, VBA is all you need for corporate finance jobs, sales and analysts. Hell, it's even enough for some assistant trader positions.

But if you go into more important trading roles, like market making, prop trading, or a quant desk then they're gonna ask you to know some other languages (usually C++, Python or R)
>>
>>1146512
>rarely use math

admission of not knowing math. But somehow knowing one allows a comparison. From the language of you all, Not one of you has worked in both fields. ..and c++ is not used for trading. Anyone with experience knows that the language just isn't equiped with the right tools. Im out. argue amongst yourselves. OP ..learn python with quantopian. If you really give a shit take a C++ class over the summer at your community college. If you are a hard-ass google "learn c++ the hard way". Its the best learn-it-yourself coding site i have ever seen. They have "python the hard way" as well. good luck. I'm an ex-broker ..current computer engineer. those are my creds.
>>
>>1146512
algorithms = math

just because it doesn't have numbers doesn't make it not math. take a university math course at 400+ lvl and learn somthing.
>>
>>1146628

You made a stupid statement and got proven wrong. No need to get emotional about it.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.