[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need to get a finance job in Chicago in the next few months

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 1457137774300.png (976KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
1457137774300.png
976KB, 750x1334px
I need to get a finance job in Chicago in the next few months biz. Any advice for this? Can someone hook me up here?

>msf from the shittier end of top 20 graduate B schools
>taking level 2 of CFA in June
>currently am in corporate finance at a big manufacturing company in a city 4-5 hrs away (good exp working for senior mgmt but I'm done with this)
>>
>>1139668
Under no circumstances do you want to live west of Western Avenue or south of Pershing. Live in Bridgeport if you want to save money Ukrainian Village/Wicker park if you don't care to.

If you clean out the snow from a street parking spot you should mark it as your own by putting lawn chairs in the spot when you go to work.

The gay district is called boys town and it's located around 3200 N. Halsted. Fag.
>>
>currently am in corporate finance at a big manufacturing company
>(good exp working for senior mgmt
what's your definition of Senior Mgmt? If you're rubbing elbows with CFO / CEO already then stay there in investor relations until you make contacts

assuming you want some kind of financial services. You get new job offers from people you know by working with them and you have the position to do that.

firms do massive layoffs all the time and you're competing with others with CFA charters AND ivy league MBA/msfs. don't be stupid

>implying you'll pass l2
>>
>>1139724
That is my definition of senior mgmt but fuck this. Investor relations is nothing it's a private business. There isn't really working with anyone outside the company so that isn't an option.

This is not constructive advice I need to know how to get a job.

>>1139720
I am not planning on living in a shithole and I am open to the burbs.
>>
>>1139740
>it's a private business
alrighty then I advise you to get a corporate finance job at a public company since that's your industry before you jump ship where you know nothing yet faggot
>>
>>1139747
I'm done with corporate finance in this form. Want to get a job at a bank or asset mgmt analyst.
>>
File: 1357450551888.jpg (27KB, 312x230px) Image search: [Google]
1357450551888.jpg
27KB, 312x230px
>>1139751
why are you done with corporate finance?

What will you say in the interview? You need a great explanation that is better than you just want to make bank in investment banking
>>
>>1139761
I'm not totally done with it but I'm not going to sit in the position im currently in basically a wagecuck job for 10 years before I make decent money.

I will say that I'm looking to take my career in a new direction with a company I can grow with.
>>
>>1139668
Assuming you went to UIUC, how was the MSF program? I was considering it, but only if I can Jew the government for enough money.
>>
>>1139807
That would not be a good assumption because what I hear is their business school sucks dick and is not anywhere near the top 20
>>
>>1139820
You're right. I thought it was higher since their undergrad isn't too bad.

What do you think about going to University of Texas for a MSF. I had a shit GPA (3.2) in undergrad but always did well in core classes (3.85).

I feel like if I went to grad school I could easily maintain a high GPA and move up in the industry more quickly. I'm working as an analyst in Asset Management right now, but at an unknown firm.

Should I just keep working on CFA, or go to a decent grad school, so I could find a better employer? I got a 710 on the GMAT.
>>
File: 6972011.jpg (22KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
6972011.jpg
22KB, 450x600px
>>1139761
Added to my "niggers eating money" folder
>>
>>1139857
CFA you will learn more but it's a huge commitment and the vast majority don't finish. I was an economics undergrad and I would be up shit Creek if I didn't have an msf.

I looked at uta but I only applied to quant programs (didn't get admitted to quant program where I went).

Sounds like a good idea desu especially if you can get your employer to pay for some. My grades were shittier than yours but my GMAT was higher.
>>
>>1139890
Hmm.... I might consider it then. I am also an Economics major to clarify. Thanks for the insight. Would it make more sense to do both? Like would I be able to get into a better Masters in Finance program if I complete the CFA?
>>
>>1139908
I passed level 1, I could finish level 3 in like ~1.5 years, assuming I can pass both 2 and 3. Obviously I wouldn't have the charter (lack of experience).
>>
>>1139908
Yea if you have passed the exams (these are fuckin hard especially level 2 if you are an undergread) you can get into a really good school.

I would never be able to pass this stuff on my econ degree desu.
>>
>>1139887
I don't think thats even $100
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.