[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I became a truck driver? >$1,000 bucks a week. >Can

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: hqdefault.jpg (33KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
33KB, 480x360px
Should I became a truck driver?
>$1,000 bucks a week.
>Can listen to podcasts/radio all day.
>Constant adventure
>Easy as fuck
>>
>>1133525
>incredibly lonely
>>
Dont forget dying from lack of sleep, back problems, circulation problems, skin cancer, lung cancer and low prestige
>>
>>1133528
Don't forget contracting an std/sti from the cheap trucker stop whores.
>>
>>1133528
>>1133530

Not OP but I'm already way ahead of all this. Sounds like I'm meant to be a truck driver lol

But seriously to OP. Why not become a car salesman bro? I made 4,000 last month without even trying. My actual bro made 10,000 and he's 21
>>
>>1133525
I think you have to buy your own truck???
Correct me if I am wrong.
>>
>>1133527
Ever listen to trucker radio?
You can pick them up everywhere.
Kind of interesting to listen to.
>>
Easy as fuck? Ya think ? Moron !
>>
File: Capture.png (637KB, 701x564px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
637KB, 701x564px
>>1133525
hate to shatter your dreams OP, but trucks will be automated within 5 - 10 years.
>>
>>1133555
you are
>>
>>1133545

What kind of sales does your brother do?
Also, how did you get the job? Used or new cars? If new, what brand? What questions did you get asked at the interview? Did you have previous sales experience? Thanks!
>>
>>1133525
why don't you learn some valuable skills instead of wasting years of your life doing something that will soon be automated ?
>>
>>1133555
It depends on the company and the route.

If you are salaried by the company, they usually provide the truck.

If you are contracted out (where the big money is), you must provide your own truck.
>>
>>1133563
>>1135046

top kek trucking won't be automated anytime soon if the auto-trucks are running on streets with people.
>>
>>1133525
'
>3 year trucker here

Ask me anything OP. I make around $1400 a week after taxes. Home on the weekends.
>>
>>1135081
It would be great if you could buy a truck & hire it out. Let the compooter do the driving and go along for the ride...
>>
>>1135088

Do you do drugs?

Is trucking dangerous?

What is the craziest thing that has happened to you on the job?

What's the ratio of at home to on the road time?
>>
I'm a cargo van driver, which is very similar, in regards to sleeping in your vehicle and traveling all across the states.A little bit easier though, since it's a lot smaller and lighter vehicle.
First off, it's hard as fuck, sometimes you drive 20 hours straight with no sleep, wired on red bulls and coffee, so be prepared for that.
Second 1000/week is shit money and if you're gonna do it, you should be paid per mile, and also have a 100 $ daily even if you're not driving.
This is how it works, and drivers are the ones who make the rules, cause there's a huge defficit of them.
I would ask for 50 cents per mile, so if you do 4000 miles in a week, which is pretty standard, you're gonna make 2000 $.
Anyway, I don't recomend it, it's really hard and lonely and I would do anything else for 3000 $ + a month, but I'm new to the states(from eastern europe) and this is the best deal financially that I could get at the moment.
>>
>>1133527
Normiebook, XM radio, CB and talking on the phone.

>>1133528
>dying from lack of sleep
In the US truckers are only able to drive 11 hours in a day, most truckers do around 10 for HOS reason.

> back problems
I sit with my feet on the dash like a lazy boy. Plus i take a break every 4 hours and walk for 30 mins or lay down.

>circulation problems, skin cancer, lung cancer and low prestige
All personal problems that can be fixed by having good well power.

>>1133530
only at run down/back road truck stops. The big boys like TA/Loves/pilot etc are very clean and have security.

>>1133555
Most drivers are company drivers. Only be a O/O after 5 years of OTR

>>1133560
>trucker radio
Do you mean CB?

>>1133563
>>1135046
I doubt it. there are 3.3 million truckers in America, plus the teamster union. Most truckers that have had a CDL for a couple years can get a job making about $80k a year. M-F

>>1135070
OTR are paid by cents per mile. Anything over 45 cent is very good. Local drivers are paid for hourly wage and normally start at $20
>>
21 yo trucker here after taxes it's only ~$900 a week
>>
>>1135093

>Do you do drugs?
No! Company and DOT random. If you fail, you lose your driver license for 15 years.

>Is trucking dangerous?
fuck no, i feel saver in a semi then a car

>What is the craziest thing that has happened to you on the job?
I dont have anything. I'm a pretty normal person. I stay to myself at the truck stops and drive safe.

>What's the ratio of at home to on the road time?
I'm home Friday-Monday morning.
>>
>>1133525
sitting for 7+ hours a day is very unhealthy
>>
>>1135094
> 20 hours straight

10 on 11 off. Unless you're doing shady shi... oh.. you're a slav..
>>
>>1135094
>but I'm new to the states(from eastern europe) and this is the best deal financially that I could get at the moment.

You are getting paid dude. Stop fucking around before you get yourself or someones family killed.
>>
>>1135141

played not paid lol

also, you are looking at some real jail time if you get stop by DOT or live in jail if you kill somone.
>>
>>1135094
I work for the rail road, were in the shitter now but in a few years once business picks up I recommend you at least apply. bare minimum i make $5200 amonth mediam income is $7800 a month.
>>
>>1135081
so what , instead of 5 years, maybe it'll be 10 years? you're still wasting those years on a profession that will be phased out while gaining no transferable skill
>>
File: image.png (56KB, 239x200px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
56KB, 239x200px
>>1133527
>lonely

Come on dude this is 4chan. At least a trucker has to interact with people at some point.
>>
>>1133525
>1000$ a week
>alot
>>
>>
>>1135695
>$1000 more a week than you make
>>
>>1133525

I was making $1600 a week in England driving for Royal Mail before Christmas

And in my own bed each night

>>1133563

That will be a slow roll out and only effect linehaul to begin with

You can't automate securing a load easily. Or automate tight yards, changing a bulb, swapping out a lead, checking the load is secure etc
>>
>>1133525
Before his heart attack, my grandfather worked himself, owned his own tanker, and transported jet fuel for the government from Cincinnati to Columbus (about 1.5 hrs) twice a day.

He made well over 6 figures and had an otherwise normal work day. (had to get up at like 3 am though). That being said, I don't know how much of that went into the shitty parts of self-employment like health insurance and the payments on his million-dollar truck and million-dollar tanker.
>>
>>1133525
Also, if you have a significant other (doubtful on 4chan) or some buddy you don't mind spending 24 hours a day with, you can invest in one of those trucks that has amenities in them and take shifts transporting constantly (unless laws have changed to restrict taht, which are possible). You're never gonna lose a bid if you can promise a 9-hour trip being completed in 9 hours instead of 8 hours, a several-hour stop, and another hour like is currently required by regulation.
>>
>>1135737
and doing this, you can just work your ass off for a few years and be set for life.
>>
Hmm, are there any qualification requirements for that? I am in uni right now and the degree will probably wreck me, so getting a truck license and doing that job might be one of the few things I could do.
>>
>>1135751

> qualification requirements

A CDL and able to pass a DOT drug screen
>>
>>1135713
Stop throwing piss jugs ray!
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.