[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw can't decide on a major please /biz/ you're

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: 1452482803887.jpg (31KB, 456x320px) Image search: [Google]
1452482803887.jpg
31KB, 456x320px
>tfw can't decide on a major

please /biz/ you're my only hope

what are some good majors that will definitely land me a job after graduating

at this rate im thinking about just quitting and becoming an electrician
>>
Double major in a hard and soft science, e.g. econ and chem. Tranfer to prestigious school for MBA if you aren't a retard. Get money
>>
accounting. you can do literally any role in business with a foundation in accounting
>>
invest your money on knee pads instead pham
>>
>>1133599
>>1133594
what do you think about geology
>>
Electricians can make decent money
>>
>>1134292
4/7 years is a long time famalam, right now id say nice degree, oil probably back on a upswing but its so volatile, I'd rather be the guy selling oil then discovering it right now.

If there is a geology specialization for Rare Earth Materials these days you would be a KING if you were able to find those on a regular basis.

Its definitely interesting.

>>1133594
Honestly what this guy said OR health care like nurse practitioner is retarded money and opportunity for a masters degree. Though being a guy is pretty embarrassing in nursing. 100k starting is pretty damn nice. Or you can try EMT and see if you like it then go to Physicians Assistant in a couple years if you do, though that is like 70k starting. Demand is good though.

Right now college is literally just being a huge math nerd, a dude who programs or some nursing bitch, otherwise its a scam you should stay the fuck away from and go into Electrician and make your own business someday eeking out a fairly comfy blue collar existence with a cute wife and loving kids.
>>
File: image.jpg (34KB, 426x333px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34KB, 426x333px
Is an Econ degree worth it, I really enjoy economics
>>
Be an electrician if you have any actual interest in it. Or a general contractor. If you are good, you will always have work. Do something with your hands. No one can build shit anymore.
A good friend of mine has a roofing company with his brother. They have been doing it for many years. At this point, their laborers do the heavy lifting. One brother is the foreman, the other is the sales guy that does estimates and books the work. They take home, I shit you not, about $700,000/year between the two of them. They are roofers.
>>
>>1133506
Don't do the labor thing and go electrician. It is a niche thing, and has such a cap on earnings.
Here's what you do:
>go to college first and get general education out of the way
>quit college and work for a couple years
>try different things and take as many chances for building leadership/management experience as possible
>once you have a pretty good idea about where you see yourself, finish college with the program you want
>you may even choose to complete your college while continuing to work
>get degree and break into management

This is the way you go.
>>
>>1133506

Look at charts with undergraduate employment by major. Employment rate on graduating, initial salary, 10 year salary etc.

Then take some initial classes in them. Maybe a chemistry class for petroleum, discrete math for computer science or whatever. Maybe some classes can go to different majors. If you find a well-paying major you like, go with that.

As long as it is top 20% of salary, take what you enjoy. A happy pharmacist makes more than a miserable programmer who hates his job. And vice versa.
>>
STEM, Business, or Bust.

>>1134508
As an Econ degree holder, it's a mediocre middle between STEM and Business and you need ancillary skills to make it pay off (R, other big data type things) that you will not be educated in while at university. A love for actual, hardcore economics, on the other hand, can only be satiated by a high position in academia or at a government agency, and those require PHDs.

You'd seriously be better off going either STEM or Business.
>>
>>1134577
Damn, can you recommend any business major that doesn't involve a lot of math? I'm very bad at math
>>
>>1134577
But I'm also very knowledgable on economics and the stock market
>>
>>1133506
>asking strangers what you should do with your life

something you find interesting and enjoyable you stupid faggot
>>
>>1133506
>degree
>job
Don't fall for that idiotic idea. It was good, 20 years ago. Now it's oversaturated as fuck. The only careers worth studying for are (no, not STEM) something like Doctor or Lawyer. Shit you really can't just learn on your spare time and get a job with.

I'd gladly go back to 18-19 and work my ass off instead of doing university. The years you'll be working, saving and learning to invest it to grow it, will be invaluable compared to the dumb people who went and got a degree that will take the study time + 5-10 years to pay off. Remember: as long as you have debt, you aren't actually making money.

Also, note that experience > education. Anything you want to study, look at it thoroughly and consider: "Can I learn this in my spare time while getting actual work experience"? You'll find that most professions, yes, you can learn them in your spare time and you're way better off with the work experience (and money). Schools will not give you a head start. Getting a head start gets you a head start, ya dig?

>>1134292
>geology
Are you retarded? No.

>>1134485
>electrician
Excellent choice. Anything like that will always be needed, and locally.

>>1134577
>business
Fuck off. STEM is saturated as fuck. If you really want to be a bean bag monkey, take any job you can and while you get actual work experience, learn programming or something actually in demand in your spare time.
>>
>>1134589
>But I'm also very knowledgable on economics and the stock market
Great. There hasn't been a greater time for small retail traders/investors.

Get a regular job, or get a short education/certificates for something you can do locally and which is always in demand (carpentry, handiwork of various kinds, electrician etc). While you work that for a very decent entry pay, learn to trade. In the end, it won't matter if your salary isn't going to advance as quickly because you can actually make your money grow and your initial advantage of decent pay + no debt makes you a clear winner.

Don't be a faggot who mills around and gets some degree just to get one. Note how many successful people lack any real degrees, even if they're notable people in their fields. You need the internet, your brain, time and AMBITION. School kills the latter three of those.

>>1134591
>start with fun
I find activity A boring. I think it could fit my skills though, so I learn about it. Eventually, I get really good at it from all the practice. Now, since I'm so good at it, A is fun.

Is A fun or boring?
>>
>>1134616

It interested you because you thought it could fit your skills, a personal assessment that cant be gleaned from asking strangers with no context whatsoever.
>>
>>1134620
True, but the point was that you shouldn't go "I find this fun" and then start from there, if you want to really find what you DO find "fun". Things become fun because you're good at them, usually. So maybe OP is good at fapping, browsing 4chan and playing video games. Well, that's not very a exhaustive list, and you can't conclude from those activities that he's never going to find anything else fun.

Something that is initially boring because it's difficult, or which just takes a lot of trying, might turn out to be fun later when you've got the hang of it. So don't start with what you find fun, start with what you think you'd do well at. If you're stubborn and keep trying even when failing, then this can expand to almost anything you like, as long as you keep going.
>>
>>1134577
While most of what of what you said about econ is true, if your school has a good program it can actually be better than business. Econ is only as "mediocre" as the university you go to.
>>
>tfw furloughed STEM lord
>tfw considering self-studying and becoming an actuary
the starting salary is lower than I make now, but at least it's stable. I just don't know...
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.