[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it too late to make a career change? I've always heard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: CcRcfKrWEAAb9YQ.jpg (116KB, 836x507px) Image search: [Google]
CcRcfKrWEAAb9YQ.jpg
116KB, 836x507px
Is it too late to make a career change? I've always heard and been told that once you go general labor, it's impossible to get into anything else.

I'm 22 and have been working general labor since I turned 18. I work at a food plant and make $18/hour, taking home around $3K a month after overtime. I hate my life though. I work 7 days a week and always feel tired. I just want to get a cozy cubicle job making the same but working less. What should I do?
>>
what is your job at the food plant, how much do you have saved up, what are your expenses, cost of living for your area? what other industries in your area?
>>
>>1115264
>I've always heard and been told that once you go general labor, it's impossible to get into anything else.
Heard from who? Guys in their 40s-50s who got stuck in deadend jobs because they were too dumb to do anything else?

Apply for some office assistant jobs or some shit. Once you get in the game you can start working your way up. You probably won't be any happier though.
>>
>>1115264

no its not too late. I started studying software dev at 26 and now im working in the industry not even 2 years later.
>>
>>1115264
I interned with no experience/education and got full time, 40k/year through hard work and luck (though probably not in that order).

Just put yourself out there every chance you get.
>>
>>1115264

Anon, allow me to share my perspective. I have a 'cozy' office job at 24 yrs doing IT work making the same amount as you. I sit all day and have the liberty of reading books and articles throughout the day. I'm still not happy. Why? Because the pay is still shit at the end of the day and still come home tired (though probably not as much as you). It's only good in that it allows me to save up for college, which you should be looking into. All of my peers make >$60/hour and all of the structural office politics are not worth it for anything less than that amount. So I'm calling quits soon and going back for a degree with a nice chunk of savings.

It's true that most college degrees are a meme -- choose wisely. And it is also true that people with college degrees have not seen steady wage increases (it has remained stagnant) -- people without degrees have seen a DECLINE in wages, making those with degrees appear as if they were increasing. With that said, getting a degree is still the better route unless you start your own business, which is very risky.

It is not too late. I'm older than you and making a change. Good luck.
>>
File: 1436380513084.jpg (42KB, 495x636px) Image search: [Google]
1436380513084.jpg
42KB, 495x636px
>>1115264
You can, but it would probably require schooling if you wanted to keep or increase the pay you're getting
>>
>>1115264
It's too late. Enjoy your manufacturing job and be sure to thank Obama 5 times a day.
>>
>>1115264

It's never too late to make a career change, or change your life altogether.
>>
I have a lot of 40-50 year old students in my undergrad classes. There's still time but if you work and go to school at the same time it's going to be hell so just save a shitload of money and then go to school.
>>
>>1115376
Tell me more please, I want to do this.
>>
>>1115444
I'm 18 right now and was going to get several certificates and a major in technology information. Would you advise against this?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.