[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do any of you buy things cheap, fix them up, and resell them?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1455576511621.jpg (674KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1455576511621.jpg
674KB, 2448x3264px
Do any of you buy things cheap, fix them up, and resell them?

Things like furniture, cars, or electronics especially.

I am looking to do that for furniture, but I like to hear some input if anyone else has done it before.
>>
>>1109266
I used to buy toys missing parts and large lots of parts, then sell the complete sets for a fair bit of money. But then that dried up when people started thinking parts were worth as much as the complete set.
>>
>>1109266

I've never seen much money in this in any regard. Even cars.

The only thing I have seen work is guys that know how to fix phones.

> get broken Iphone for $100
> fix it
> Sell it for $400
>>
File: _57__14630.1410064074.1280.1280.jpg (136KB, 1280x611px) Image search: [Google]
_57__14630.1410064074.1280.1280.jpg
136KB, 1280x611px
>>1109266
I do it. I specialize in mid centruty modern furniture. All the hipsters want it now. Go to thrift store, junk store, auctions, and Sundays for estate sales.

Use CL to familiarize yourself with local asking prices for said furniture.

In Austin, TX, a small mid century modern chest of drawers can go for $235. You can find then for 45 to 95. Smear dark Citrus Shield wax on it and it looks very nice.

My best sale was finding a Witco "Tiki" dresser for $65 and selling it to a well known Austin mcm seller for $750 later that day. Stuff like that happens every 24 mos.

I sell 20 dressers a year plus a lo of lamps, desks, chairs.

Non-mid century stuff can be patched and sold for 100% mark up minimum.

Use Youtube to learn how to paint / stain certain woods correctly.

I've never met any thieves in the used furniture biz.

A million new families a year are created in the US. They will all need dressers etc.

I have a day job and this sort of furniture work refreshes my mind and is very interesting.

Pic related. It's the Witco .
>>
>>1109266
You could easily save most of that ice cream its just the bottom thats fucked.
>>
>>1109636
Bicycles. I used to buy junked up bikes and fix and sell them at huge mark ups to dumb ass hipsters. It was a good business in Nashville.
>>
>>1109892
Thank you anon, very insightful

>>1110072
/biz/ - frugal
>>
>>1109266

The only folks I have seen that can do decent at those things are folks who are in the particular business that they can benefit from their hobby. Such as a person sitting at home trying to rebuild a car will not get the return that a mechanic who already has the tools and equipment necessary to do the task can get. I know a guy who made like 20k a pop rebuilding VW vans, but he had a shop where he could do all the work and had the stuff he needed to do it on hand. So if you find something you are passionate about and set up shop you can do it. But to randomly pick up things and restore them I doubt you will see a profit.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.