[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, I don't mean to bother anyone, but I need some advice.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 1395007919058.png (639KB, 900x1825px) Image search: [Google]
1395007919058.png
639KB, 900x1825px
Hey,

I don't mean to bother anyone, but I need some advice.
Sort of a NEET right now, but let's not get into that. I have some job prospects that are very different and I am literally tearing my hair out trying to decide what to do. What do you guys think:

1) nuclear engineering in a beach town that nets around 100k (but it is shift work and probs hard as fuck)

2) aerospace eng. for probably 60k with big company

3) aerospace eng. for probably 60k with small, unstable company and will be very stressful

Do I go with the money? I'm sort of young and i think that type of money could do some serious shit to my life (investing wise) I'm not much of a career fag and really don't know what i want to do for a career, so we can avoid the dream job talk. idk idk idk

>24 yo
>ME degree
>finally got entry lvl job prospects
>wtf nuclear?
>aerospace meh...
>>
bump bump *sweating*
>>
I'd do the nuke for a while because the money is good as fuck and that will look awesome on your resume assuming that it winds up being temporary.
>>
File: 1387733305837.jpg (135KB, 661x960px) Image search: [Google]
1387733305837.jpg
135KB, 661x960px
>>
File: 1303711183544.png (15KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
1303711183544.png
15KB, 150x150px
>>1108404
thank you based anon. ppl tell me that it will look good. surely it could translate to other fields right?
>>
>>1108397
hahaha
>beach town
>100k
and its holding you back because its 'probs hard'
Man! You're fuckin young, this is the time for hard work, and money, and being a hard worker with money living in a fuckin' beach town.

You shouldn't even be thinking about this, you daft motherfucker. Go with the Nuclear Engineering bro
>>
>>1108397
e e e anyone else? please?
>>
>>1108422
thank you. it seems like that to me too. to be clear: the beach town is Charleston SC. option 2 is in denver CO and option 3 is in austin TX
>>
>>1108422
the only thing that is holding me back the nuclear part, only bc im not sure what job prospects outside this job would be or how it would translate. thanks again mane
>>
It depends what you want out of life OP, there is no objective best answer.

If you want to climb the corporate ladder take option 2.

If you want to eventually start your own business take option 3.

If you want to retire early take option 3. You will save fuckloads of money living in a small town on a salary like that. If you budget and invest properly you could realistically retire in your 40s.

Personally I would take option 3, I don't ever want to fully retire, I believe retirement kills.
>>
>>1108436

*retire early take option 1* obviously
>>
>>1108436
interesting. i would think that option 1 would better allow for starting my business bc of more $. i dont want to retire either man. i do want mullaw tho...
>>
>>1108428
Oooh ok that does change it a bit to be totally honest. I'd much rather live in Denver or Austin than Charleston. Where are you originally from? Maybe you wouldn't mind the South

>>1108430
That's fair enough, to be honest I'm not sure either. You should do some research bro google will be a good friend to you. Good luck buddy, and no matter which one you choose remember to throw yourself into it and not have any regrets because regrets are for suckers
>>
>>1108443
im from Bama man. haha i like the south, but denver is fucking sick
>>
>>1108442

For a startup in the engineering space you are easily talking millions, funding that out of your own pocket is unrealistic, and you will desperately need the skills you learn at the small business.

But if you are talking about starting a bar or a food truck or whatever then yes option 1 is good too.
>>
>>1108446
yeah you're right. i kind of just want to sell this product i designed. kickstarter that bitch, which will be on the backburner no matter what i do
>>
>>1108447

Yeah definitely, in addition to basically free funding kickstarter also provides a lot of WOM marketing. No sense funding it yourself.

In addition to cross-disciplinary skills at the small business you are also more likely to make valuable contacts imo. Also if you work there you could more easily ask for equity as part of your package, either initially or more likely at your first pay rise.
>>
>>1108451
hmmmm... so you don't think 100k vs 60k should be a concern?
>>
Austin's a pretty cool town. If the startup's not total shit then it's definitely worth considering.

On the other hand you could save a hell of a lot of money working at a nuke.
>>
>>1108454

As I said, it depends what you want

It's a lot safer path for sure. You're basically guaranteed to retire with a couple million dollars as long as you save and invest diligently.

Or if you want to use it as a springboard to get in to property development, leveraged investing, or a traditional small business/franchise it's a great choice.

But if you have dreams of pitching to VCs and having a C on your business card, it's not going to help you get there.

But you might also want to take it, save for 5-10 years, set yourself up with a house or two and then go after the startup/corporate space.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.