[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How viable is a career in programming? I've been teaching

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: Lenny.jpg (17KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
Lenny.jpg
17KB, 512x384px
How viable is a career in programming?

I've been teaching myself C++ and actually been having a lot of fun with it. The idea of having fun and being productive has been lost for a long time for me.
Currently enrolled for next year, gurned 18 a few months ago
undeclared major
>>
There are no jobs left in programming, sorry to say.

You're going to have to change majors if you want any sort of future. Otherwise, you may want to consider professional sports if you have any athletic proclivities. Are you at a large university? Players get recruited at those locations for professional basketball and football.
>>
>>1107679

It's absolutely true.
>>
>>1107674
Just knowing code will get you nowhere. Consider getting a Software Engineering degree. There a still a lot of jobs around and only more in the future.
>>
>>1107683

0/10
>>
>>1107684
Eh, look, another "they are no jobs left, go make a business" guy. I forgot that I'm on /biz
>>
>>1107679
This guy is a fucking dumbass

>>1107674
Programming is a solid career path, where you will make a nice, comfortable salary. I'm pretty sure the median starting wage is somewhere around 50k, and midcareer median goes up to 80-90k.

If you enjoy it, and you're young you're in luck. Keep learning more languages to stay ahead of the curve and you'll do just fine.
>>
Career programmer here.

I've been trying to find programming gigs for years now. Thankfully in my country we have minor league baseball, which has kept me and my family afloat for the past decade.

Don't fall for the same scam I did, racking up student loans to pay a mega nerd to teach me how to write esoteric witchcode. Fucking Poindexter Madoffs screwing the country over.
>>
>>1107674

desu you should just learn java if you want the most job opportunities. C++ is pretty niche and only used for high performance applications.
>>
>>1107679
gr8 b8 m8 8/8

>>1107674
If you're having fun and being productive, at your age that's all you need to do to be a programmer really.

Programming (assuming you're in the States) is actually a great career in terms of long-term outlook. Someone has to program the trading software that everyone uses, after all. Just stay competitive with India - but if you're having fun, you'll do fine.
Here's some tips if you want them:
--learn languages that challenge your mindset, if a language doesn't make you think at least a little differently OR improve your earning potential it isn't worth it.
--challenge yourself, work on different projects to improve your portfolio. Things outside of school really improve how you look in the programming world.
--do something every day. Write however many lines of code. Read something new. Whatever. Here's a Github repository to inspire you.
https://github.com/keplr/programming-projects-for-n00bz
Personally, I'm completing all 100 of these myself.
You can probably access your college library's online databases which usually include some sort of ebook systems (mine does).
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.