[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is six sigma actually useful or is it just junk science? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: download.png (3KB, 275x184px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
3KB, 275x184px
Is six sigma actually useful or is it just junk science? I'm reading a book on it right now, but remain unconvinced, sounds like a lot of proceduralisation and over complication of relatively simple tasks. GE uses it though, so do a lot of other big companies like Chevron and HP, just wondering if anyone has had a positive/negative experience with it?
>>
Does anyone even know what the fuck I'm talking about?
>>
>>1107017
its a corporate meme like SAP, its not a genius system but it has fine fundamentals for the general case, much like SAP it does overcomplicate things but thats going to be what happens whenever you try to standardize everything between so many different areas
>>
File: Dilbert.jpg (38KB, 504x350px) Image search: [Google]
Dilbert.jpg
38KB, 504x350px
>>1107017
It's a method to minimize the numbers of defected products.
If your company works on a field where it is necessary use it. If it's cheaper to make some waste goods, you can fuck yourself with it.
>>
>>1107017
Nothing can replace competent management of competent employees. If you don't have that, no fad process is going to help you.
>>
>>1107070
Some companies have that but see six sigma as the 'extra edge' though. In my experience procedure is good for certain tasks, but for jobs that require a certain amount of judgement I don't think it would work well.
>>
>>1107017
6S Black Belt here. It's useful for very specific value streams but is by no means a management system. Lean aka Continuous Improvement is a much better holistic and self-supporting system for managers to cascade demand and priorities while empowering the front line to raise and solve problems.

Take the Space Shuttle program for context. Six Sigma would ensure that as few as possible of the thermal heat tiles would be defective. Lean is like mission control, monitoring everything and focusing on the mission first and the details second.
>>
Quality Medical Engineer here and desu 6sigma isn't really needed. Nearly all companies operate to 3 sigma which in a normal distribution allows for 99.7% non defective products. 6 sigma costs companies loads to implement under the guise of saving money and you'll get 99.99966% non defective products. So I'm not convinced that the difference is really worth all the extra time and effort. I mean in the medtech industry everything is double and triple checked so the defective products will be caught. I think samsung were the first to do it. I'd say it's more for bragging rights
>>
>>1108044
How long did it take you to become a black belt and is it worth the effort?

Lean Management does make a lot of sense to me, very simple and logical approach.
>>
>>1107017
I'm in pharmaceutical manufacturing and it is a huge concept in the plant. There are a bunch of people employed just to continuously monitor and improve the 6 Sigma processes implemented. I am not completely sold on it and definitely think it is a corporate meme but I do believe the original ideas are very helpful (reduce waste, save time, improve product output) but I think it overly complicates a lot of basic concepts
>>
>>1107017

I was trained in it but for someone in maintenance, i didn't find much use in it. I think it is good for optimizing manufacturing, but you don't need to take it to six sigma levels. Economic reasons may make it expensive and not benefitial.
>>
>>1107017
its just comon sense in japanese
>>
>>1107017
“Efficient market theory [is] a wonderful economic doctrine that had a long vogue in spite of the experience of Berkshire Hathaway. In fact one of the economists who won — he shared a Nobel Prize — and as he looked at Berkshire Hathaway year after year, which people would throw in his face as saying maybe the market isn’t quite as efficient as you think, he said, “Well, it’s a two-sigma event.” And then he said we were a three-sigma event. And then he said we were a four-sigma event. And he finally got up to six sigmas — better to add a sigma than change a theory, just because the evidence comes in differently. [Laughter] And, of course, when this share of a Nobel Prize went into money management himself, he sank like a stone.”
>>
My company is paying for my green belt.

I am milking them for all i can.

By the time im done with them, ill have my CFA, MBA, and 6 Sigma (hopefully black belt)
>>
>>1107051
Is that a real dilbert strip?

>tfw I went to school in michigan for business and it revolved around manufacturing even though I studied finance
>mfw the finance stuff they taught me is is literally 15 years out of date
>mfw all the profs are fat people with tenure who were successful in the 80s before manufacturing moved to SEA

I could have studied something useful and timeless like math or sales but nooo I learned this Six Sigma bullshit I will never ever apply. How did I not understand a business education was geographically dependent?
>>
>>1109897
Please give me some context on that quote.
>>
>>1109897
Can you explain this further? Doesn't make a lot of sense without much context. I think it's trying to say the guy who invented 6 sigma was a tool...
>>
>>1110690
Yes.
http://dilbert.com/strip/2006-11-26
>>
>>1107017
It was an industrial and research statistical standard that has been turned into a corperate meme by upper management without technical backgrounds.

I'm a systems engineer and I'm going through this bullshit right at a new job even though as an engineer it is literally my job to already solve problems.
>>
>>1110720
It's from Charlie Munger, chairman of Berkshire Hathaway. I think it's referring to Michael Jensen as he apparently publicly debated Buffet regarding efficient markets, and he did win a nobel prize
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.