[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Playing god in Africa

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

I still really want to attempt to use ultra-cheap manual labour on a massive scale to change the climate and landscape of some really shitty part of Africa, though now that I think about it I'd be definitely willing to get some kind of profit from it just as long as I was still making a major socioeconomic contribution; in fact, could the two tie in well with each other?
What really matters is that I exploit cheap labour with the perfect balance between doing it for their sake so that it has a meaning beyond personal profit, but I also take profit from it so that I can keep the project running at a huge scale. I'd be the nonexistent middle ground between a charity and a business.

Is this viable at all, or is it delusional?

Pic unrelated, I'm bad at finding OP images.
>>
>>1106359
i want to pump a whole heap of ocean water into central areas of australia so more rain happens in the adjacent areas
>>
>>1106444
Unless you dug your massive pit connected to the ocean really deep (more than a few metres), wouldn't it just turn into a salt lake?
And unless you made it really shallow, it wouldn't be that great for causing evaporation and thus rainfall.
>>
>>1106359
Africans are lazy fucks. That's the fucking truth. You will need to have some middle man that makes them work hard. See South Africa, they can speak shit about apartheid all they want but whiteys brought them where they are. Anyway make as much money as you can and gtfo.
>>
Are you me op? I wank to the thought of using mercenaries and killing off competition over there.
>>
>>1106475
That's what everyone does, it's boring.

>>1106485
What, like exterminating companies that use the local populace for cheap food production?
>>
>>1106488
No

>find places where businesses could thrive
>pay locals to kill rebels/gangstere, work with u.n. and shit
>make mad dosh as local businesses thrive
>>
>>1106537
But isn't the biggest problem in a lot of areas not the petty criminals, but instead the much larger and tougher groups (e.g. the local government) as well as the weather itself?
>>
>>1106539
Yeah, thats what makes things interesting.
>>
>>1106542
Not OP, but my wet dream is to build up enough wealth, higher an army of mercenaries, and just take over an African country. I would then establish myself as King and spend the next 30+ years revamping everything from education to industry and infrastructure, using my mercenary army to covertly raid gold and diamond mines in the local area for funds. From there, become the eminent superpower of the continent, and establish an African Co-Prosperity Sphere where I will enforce my policies onto the countries that join and eventually integrate them into my Wakanda-esque paradise once they have reached a sufficient GDP and educational standards.
>>
>>1106542
I guess then you have to contribute so much to society and the economy that the people will defend what they've gained.

Not to mention how to figure out how to change the weather itself. The only way I can think of to stabilise rainfall is to dig a pit connected to the sea, but that's a lot of work and would stop working when it gets congested with salt.
Though I do wonder, could one make that amount of salt useful?
>>
>>1106547
There are permaculture techniques to desalinate water.
>>
>>1106603
But that salt must go somewhere...
Separating the salt and water is simple enough if you're looking to create rain, the desalination is already done if you've created rain, but that leaves salt behind and you can't desalinate salt.
>>
Salt has a plethora of uses if its clean.
>>
>ywn exterminate all the brutes
t.Kurtz
>>
>>1106641
But this is rural Africa we're talking about.
And salt at the bottom of a lake might not be very clean.
>>
> get a small army
> lots of gunz
> lots of suppliess
> boats, choppers, 7tons, humvees
> lots of jp8

Take over the blood diamond industry and turn it into a starbucks like franchise as you grow offering competitive minimum wages and healthcare. DA BEERS BTFO
>>
>>1106645
Nothing will get done in africa without a modest security force. If you can't keep them from shitting in the lake then you don't have the capability for international business.
>>
>>1106660
I could try make it so that they can earn money from what they do and I just take a small cut of it for organising and running everything, and any kind of permanent production established (anything that literally grows on trees, or otherwise naturally develops) is free for them to take.
In other words, if they shit in a lake used for salt collection, they're shitting in their own and everyone else's livelihood rather than just mine.

By the way, I'm wondering, might it be a good idea to use said salt to build housing?
I'm thinking of this process:
>build house out of salt bricks
>rain melts the bricks together
>put clay surface over salt to protect from further melting
Wouldn't do much for insulation, but a strong material that is seen as a waste product of an irrigation lake seems good for building with. Multi-storey mudhut anyone?
>>
>>1106681
Im not sure about housing due to the way salt reacts with water, but there aee some very decent ways to use muds and clays to produce earth bricks that can be very insulating and strong if used correctly.

Salt could be useful for regulating vegetation in an area with a lot of pest plants or plants that attract bugs. Im not sure the best way to purify salt, but there are a multitude of rudimentary medical applications, and also great ways to preserve meats and use as seasoning.

I've also heard of mangrove trees turning salt into a freshwater vapor that could be collected off the sides of a greenhouse. Im uneducated in that subject butbits interesting to think about. Plants have many applications if used right. Im sure they could make the area more sustainable if you wanred to.
>>
>>1106700
Maybe you're right about using mangrove trees, because the problem with using a simple lake is that the whole thing can congest with salt; evaporation only gets faster if you have a very thin surface layer of water.
If the biological process of mangrove trees is what's regulating evaporation, then evaporation could end up slowing down as the water runs out, preventing a salt congestion.

However, two problems with this:
>a larger lake could be required for the same evaporation rate
>organic maintenance of salinity of the lake may not work as the lake can only lose salt through the channel/tunnel connecting to the ocean, which is quite the bottleneck if distances from the ocean requires the ocean connection to be narrow
If there was a surface channel and underground tunnel leading to the ocean that might work well even without mangroves though, fresh water goes in through the channel and anything which doesn't evaporate comes out the bottom extremely saline.

Of course, then I create a new problem of firstly requiring a connection to the possibly very distant ocean, which is a huge amount of extra labour, and a truly massive amount to create the tunnel underneath; and how can I be sure the tunnel won't congest with silt? It'd be a flooded tunnel that's almost impossible to send someone through.
>>
>>1106359
http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-great-green-wall-of-africa

Somebody beat you to it buddy, work started nearly 8 years ago.
>>
>>1106728
>billions of dollars
Goodness, what are they paying the workers?

With that kind of money, you could set up strips of arable land going through the Sahara which point in the direction of the wind so that the sand doesn't spready across them.
>>
>>1106359
>I want to terra-form a part of africa
>posts an anime OP image

great start guys
>>
File: 1453161667752.jpg (161KB, 600x849px) Image search: [Google]
1453161667752.jpg
161KB, 600x849px
>>1106827
>not putting anime as your OP image so that the thread gets bumped more than it would otherwise
It works great with pictures of Momiji on /v/, a thread that would 404 with zero replies instead ends up running for at least a dozen replies, sometimes a few dozen and then a mod deletes it.
>>
>>1106546
and american blacks will still literally scream at you for being rayciss
>>
>>1106717
>Very possibly retarded idea incoming:
You could possibly have an artificial lake with a cleanable bottom that could be drained, scraped for salt and silt, and then refilled with "Fresh" water reserves. There could be a web of canals leading fresh water from large solar stills spread across your property towards the central "Lake".

There would likely need to be a system of domes and large rain and humidity catchment locations all over the place. A network of storm drains and canals would have to lead to this central "Lake" and the freshwater would need to be stored in a series of large tanks of some kind.

There would have to be some serious water treatment and recycling going on, and once you could effectively purify water coming in from the ocean, a major pipeline would be helpful.

I'm diverging into "Build a green city in the desert" territory now though. I already forget what the business application would be.
>>
>>1106908
Where does the fresh water come from though?
Is your idea that by creating rivers and a lake, at any one time there will be more water in the system than there otherwise would be?
That could actually work, although I do still like the idea of evaporating huge amounts of seawater.
>>
>>1106359
The chinamen are already two steps ahead of you:

https://youtu.be/A0C4_88ub_M
>>
File: morgan freeman .png (823KB, 806x552px) Image search: [Google]
morgan freeman .png
823KB, 806x552px
>>1106359
I hope you werent thinking about farming
>>
>>1106911
I am probably getting the science wrong, but initially I think you would have to have water treatment and recycling infrastructure already in place. The first fresh water would need to probably be trucked in, then once humidity and rainfall caught up you could collect the freshwater from solar stills and greenhouses. All water would be recycled eventually..
>>
>>1106359
Op this idea has actually been around for a while, google sahara sea. A guy named Donald Mackenzie wanted to do it in the late 1800s I believe and actually got some traction but it never happened

It turns out that the Sahara used to be a sea and as a result, it's mostly below sea level so all you have to do to make your idea a reality is dig a canal to let the water in
>>
>>1106926
>tfw grandmother was a friend of Mugabe's first wife
She didn't even seem to care Mugabe was evil, she was getting interested in his goons before that.

>>1106941
If you adjust the environment to not lose water to other environments as easily, then that environment will over time gain more water without moving it in.

>>1106947
It's a pity I can't find any elevation maps that will show me the exact border of the Sahara Sea, but goodness, when I read that I read "obliterate the Sahara Desert" which seems like a pretty awesome life goal.
>>
>>1106546
Lol Mark Thatcher tried this. Last I heard of him he was being raped in an African prison.
>>
>>1106359
you dont understand africa, you are enemy for them by simply being white, they wont trust you, wont work honest for you, wont be motivated by you, probably will one up you. so let it be
>>
racist neocolonialist capitalist pig
>>
Sorry, but Exxon, CocoCola, and many others already thought of your idea. Africans practically worship CocaCola.
>>
>>1106901
>implying I'm not a black American
>implying I won't pull the race card if anyone tries to shut me down
>>
>>1107045
Is it like that everywhere now?
Definitely wasn't like that in the past.

>>1107071
Well, I'm not just talking about using cheap African labour, I'm talking about doing specific things with it.
>>
the best you can offer really is support for education in those areas

the more old myths and ignorance are stamped out the more likely in time that things change for the better.

Europe and America didn't change overnight, and neither will Africa in your lifetime. You can only nudge it slowly in the right direction.
>>
>>1106915
the whole point of this video is to show that African workers are some of the shittiest out there

they will lie and steal and not do work
>>
>>1107842
I suppose if I said that an area providing free housing would also provide free education to a family as long as anyone in that family working worked honestly, then that means that there's more reason for them to actually do the work I pay them to do.
>>
>>1107850
but the second you look away they would slack off and likely steal shit
>>
>>1107858
Well, if you hire a hundred workers all working in one site, it seems easy enough to have one manager managing them all.
>>
>>1107864
yfw the manager nignog starts stealing
>>
>>1107867
Steal what? The digging tools?
It's them who gets fired if no work gets done.
>>
>>1106728
>http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-great-green-wall-of-africa
you guys should really watch manderlay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFk2Vy1bWHQ

>never cut down the old lady's garden
>>
>>1107141
>"UNCLE TOM"
gibsmedats will do olympic-grade mental gymantics to turn you into the bad guy.
>>
>>1106537

It would just happen to you in a few years.
>>
Are you me OP? I've always thought about going to Africa and starting my own sovereign nation. I think it would be pretty easy. Africa has so much un-used potential.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.