[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm interested about chemical engineering . The thing is:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1.jpg (19KB, 320x460px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
19KB, 320x460px
I'm interested about chemical engineering . The thing is: I suck at math. And all basics subjects for this degree are: math, physics and a little bit of programing and then chemistry (i suck at all of them, as much as I like to pretend I'm good at everything and everyone thinks I'm the shit).

But if i say i want to change my degree for the third time to my parents They'll beat me up and then well all die together. I think it matters to say that I changed my degree twice now and all friends of my family and my own family have lost faith I me in the academic department. My parents say I don't even have to do it anymore.. They just say they'll set up a business for me and I don't have to study. That shits on my confidence so damn hard.

Is it possible to do a degree while being bad at these subjects that are at the core of the course? If I study will I become good at mathematics like Iam in philosophy and derivatives? Or am I just dumb?
>>
>>1101995
Take an IQ test. Then match it with the average IQ of a chemical engineer.

Otherwise there is nothing wrong with doing a job that does not require a high mental capacity, you can do trades or other skilled work that is high in demand
>>
>>1101995
If you suck at math I guarantee you'll have a tough time with ChemE. Why the hell would you be interested in it?
>>
>>1102393
Because the work field is fucking beautiful man. And I want to have a profession that makes me use full and not something that is just going to make me a parasite in society.

Keyword: Usefull
>>
I think its also in good taste to say that I have borderline personality disorder... Thats the reason I keep changing degrees. Do any of you have tips for me to maintain myself in ONE degree until the end? Because if I didn't have borderline I would study hard and make even chemE work. But this fucking desease keeps me from it
>>
I'm a recent ChemEng MSc graduate.

As for my experience, you can get by if math isn't your strong suit. However, it'll be pain forever if you suck at ALL the core subjects. You won't like studying and you'll hate the work afterwards.
>>
>>1102452 i mostly hate math.. I was good in physics on highschool and at one point it was my favorite subject. But i know that in The grad course itll be much harder.

The course is morning and afternoon. And there's a massive library where we can study. Do you think that by studying after classes I could make me good even if I dislike some subjects? Be honest.

And what do you do now for job? I'm interested in the pharmaceutical industry
>>
File: 1455666428704.jpg (12KB, 635x532px) Image search: [Google]
1455666428704.jpg
12KB, 635x532px
>>1101995
>>
>>1102470
When you say you like physics but hate math what do you mean? They are the same, especially for chemical engineers. Very little chemistry is involved in chemical engineering, for most calculations in industry you will also use iterative programs because the problems are too complex (really the equations governing the reactions are too simple).

I was also in a similar situation. I started as poli sci. interested in law, switched to philosophy, switched to international relations, dropped out, switched to electrical engineering, then to chemical engineering. I think my parents were more supportive than yours but I was also going to community college when I was switching majors.
>>
>>1102595
It was definitely different for me in HS. So I never paid to study also it's federal university so its free and very very good. They even give food-aid and transportation -aid.

The thing to keep swichting though is that I lost credibility with my parents. They don't trust me to finish anything. It's mostly embarrassment that I feel to change again you know? That's why I want to decide the course I want and then get back to my meds so that I don't drop out in the middle..
>>
>>1102431
i dont mean to diminish youre experience but the best thing for you to do...is deal with it. perhaps you have life on hard mode or perhaps your a bitch and got suckereed into listenting to "dr greg" who thinks the answer to any type of discomfort is nurerotypical medication.

dont an illness define you and dont make excuses for it, dont bring it up and dont focus on it

1 2nd that you should take an IQ test online (dont pay for that shit its way too expensive-queendom has legit IQ tests for free) then match up what your interests are compared to your IQ

if you choose any type of major that is "easy on math" then you are setting yourself up to be a societal leech bc every other lazy self entitled asshole wants to take the easy route as well (ie _studies, literature, "education", political science,etc are all bullshit degrees)

also can you honestly say that you are giving your 100% effort, bc if you actually were then you wouldnt need to make the thread you did, you would know the answer.

give it your all and if you come up "short" then you will honestly know your limitations, but if you dont try and dont study on your own then you will always be wondering "what am i good at"
>>
>>1102660
I never took physics or math in high school so everything about those subjects I learned in college. To be a successful engineering student you must be able to use and understand a range of mathematical techniques that range from simple to complex. If you struggle with mathematics now you can still learn, it might take more time than other students.

In order to avoid embarrassment maybe you should take a survey of math and science courses. By taking a wide range of science and mathematics courses you might gain more insight into what you really want to do. Chemical engineering requires courses from most disciplines so this would also contribute to completion of the major.
>>
>>1102470
What I do know for a job is sorta atypical for ChemEngs.

I work for a contract lab, doing a lot of regular bench-level chemistry, while also being the company go-to guy for scaling up syntheses and commissioning chemical reactors and pilot plants. It's very diverse work and I love it.

Pay is 65000$ at entry-level.
>>
>>1102792 that sounds great to me even though I have no idea what it is you actually do haha
>>
>>1101995
>I suck at math
>I want to be an engineer

You're gonna have a bad time fampai
>>
do a degree in information systems
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.