[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

By pouring continuous data about stocks into bars and barbershops,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

By pouring continuous data about stocks into bars and barbershops, kitchens and cafés, taxicabs and truck stops, financial websites and financial TV turned the stock market into a nonstop nazional video game. The public felt more knowledgeable about the markets than ever before. Unfortunately, while people were drowning in data, knowledge was nowhere to be found. Stocks became entirely decoupled from the companies that had issued them—pure abstractions, just blips moving across a TV or computer screen. If the blips were moving up, nothing else mattered
>>
>>1099324
I'd argue that the advent of low-cost brokerages and in particular online brokerages is equally to blame.

It used to be that getting into the markets required that you hired a stockbroker, a respected professional who from a reputation standpoint was on par with doctors, lawyers, and accountants. And while the financial merits of stockbrokers and their fees can be debated, there's no question that they served as gatekeepers and failsafes to prevent people from getting into stocks who had no business getting into stocks.

Then stockbrokers started marketing to the masses. First as scams, and later as legitimate "low cost" brokerages. Stocks for the people became a popular selling point, and every moron with a phone could have their own brokerage account -- and none of the advice or restraint that would have come from a professional broker.

Theory: Do-it-yourself stock picking started (or at least massively magnified) the wealth gap in America.

Finally, we come to the current age and current generation, who "play" stocks on their phones like it's Flappy Bird. As OP said, stock have become completely decoupled from the companies that issue them. They're just notifications on a phone screen.

Fortunately, indexing arrived on the scene not long after brokerages opened their doors to main street. John Bogle created a way to democratize the the markets while minimizing the side effects.

Ironically enough, I doubt he realized at the time what studies would later prove: he'd discovered the most efficient, most optimal way to invest for the long-term player.

Interesting stuff OP. Thanks for the post.
>>
>>1099324

> le everyone is stupid except me meme

This is true try to make money out of it faggot.
>>
>>1099324

t. Benjamin Graham
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.