[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>It's not what you know, it's who you know Do normies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (436KB, 1940x1292px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
436KB, 1940x1292px
>It's not what you know, it's who you know

Do normies actually believe this?
>>
>>1095499
>tell some guy i work with (intern at a bank) that im interested in working for a public accounting firm
>he says he knows some accountants and will email them
>next day i get an email from a partner at the firm and says hes known my contact for years and respects him etc.
>day after that get an interview for an unlisted position with the firm
>by the end of the week get emailed an offer letter

it is most definitely who you know.
>>
>>1095499

Do you know why normies have jobs and you're a broke dick neet shitposting on 4chan?

It probably has something to do with the belief system
>>
The more I learn, the more I realize it's who you know.
>>
>>1095499
Sadly this is often true. I think sites like thedailywtf.com spring from the related belief that you have to laugh to keep from crying.
>>
>>1095499
>went to bottom of the barrel college
>got job pretty quick somehow
>friends graduate later
>a couple ask me if my place is hiring
>position comes up
>recommend them
>one gets hired because we needed someone ASAP
It's like 80% connections and 20% knowing more than the next guy.
>>
>>1095499
Ive literally seen nepotism turn a bachelors degree in bus admin into a vp of a commercial real estate company in 2 years so yeh , its "who you know"
>>
>>1095499
What you know multiplies what you can do with who you know. Both factors should be >0.
>>
>>1095534
Everyone has an anecdotal story, this proves nothing.

>went to good but not ivy league university
>got straight As
>no friends, no industry contacts
>applied for silicon valley internship with resume consisting solely of GPA and a listing of the skills learned in various classes
>impressed interviewer by solving algorithmic problems
>got the summer job, 6000/mo
>completed degree
>graduated with honors
>now work full-time, starting salary was 100k + stock + bonus totalling 150k in the first year
>still no contacts

For me it was 100% knowing more than the next guy.
>>
>>1095499
this is actually true though

i found this out interestingly though-- by world of warcraft

i was a really skilled death knight player back in wrath and i would always be top of the dps charts thanks too my death bringer's will but at the end of the day i had to pug everything because i was underage and didn't know how to form relationships with people also didn't help that there was a million dks and ret pallys rolling on the same gear

but again it was also my fault too because i was so skilled i could have made my own guild too clear heroic modes

so its like a yes and no because you can make it with other people's help or you can stick out out alone and make it too

i think i have mild autism because i explained this with world of warcraft
>>
>>1095499
It's only true for unlikeable losers who people don't want to hire. Seriously, if you're worth a shit they will hire you no matter what. /biz/ is no different than /pol/ when it comes to them thinking the game is rigged because they failed.

Game isn't rigged, most people on here are uneducated or unlikeable (I dislike most of you quite a bit just because of the loser attitude). Some faggot will tell me I'm wrong but I'm not, people want to work with likeable people.
>>
>>1095499
It's true anon.
>>
>>1095499
literally true

there's millions of people out there with your skill set now. everybody goes to university, it's not like the old days where you could standout on skill

it's just all connections now
>>
>>1095499
combination of both

people undervalue networking, especially in university.. then wonder why their arts degree on its own doesn't get them a job and end up wanting to vote for bernie sanders
>>
>>1095499
I kind of have mixed feelings about it. I've seen it work that way, but then when I look at my own experience it didn't work out that way. I got my job despite the fact that I didn't know anyone at the company I currently work at. I've been promoted within my first 6 months working and received a $10k raise already. I think ultimately your merit is more important than who you know. Because of my work ethic I've developed connections that will be useful in the future when I can finally apply the "who you know" thing, but those people wouldn't back me up if I was a total shithead.

Or maybe I'm just lucky. Who knows anymore.
>>
Well, its pretty unanimous ITT.

Friends and family in good positions will ALWAYS give you an advantage. Besides, normies don't even say that line, they're the ones who think a degree is enough.
>>
>>1095554
You definitely have mild autism, though WoW was also my first who you know experience. One of the better warlocks, always had shitty gear because puggz. Got into a top 100 guild that noticed my performance > my gear. Started pulling between world 7th-30th for my class.

In the real world, I'm at a company that does work for basically every game studio and Disney, along with a few musicians. My uncle's friend got me in. Figure if I make some other contacts I can hit Pixar.
>>
>>1095527
this
>>
>>1095527
>>1095865

SAME FAG
A
M
E

F
A
G
>>
I got to my internship without anyone, normies just wanna use that excuse for their own pool of shit.
>>
>>1095552
This works only if you're top tier. I'm sure there was an average "friend" that you beat out.
>>
>>1095499
What you know is irrelevant because everyone has a degree now, there are 10,000 job seekers that can do exactly what you can do.
>>
>>1095527
>>1095865
you will not get away with samefagging, fag
>>
>>1095499

It's true though. Here's my story.

Situation:
>Be me, employed within same company for three years
>No movement at all, but become skilled and versatile in my position
>Head-to-head with a coworker for a management position. He's higher seniority by two years
>Upper management hints that we are two of four prospects for the position outside of a new hire

My upper hand (who you know):
>Friend bartends at a lounge downtown
>Friend also serves a certain regular and his friends
>The regular is the VP of operations at my company and his friends are some of the upper management
>Having known this for a while and currently seeking advancement, I plan to visit the lounge around the same time the VP and management are there.
>My friend had already mentioned to them a while back that we knew each other but this time mentioned that I was currently at the lounge
>Friend snags me, I meet the VP and upper management and end up enjoying a few drinks with them
>I learn a ton about company happenings and really hit it off with everyone there
>Two weeks later, I receive a letter from the VP congratulating me on my promotion and put a side note that I should feel free to join him and the rest of upper management for a drink to celebrate
>I went for that drink and now I'm currently half a year into my new position. I'm now sitting in on more meetings and getting involved with upper management frequently.

Might sound a bit more like luck, but it definitely helped having a friend in the service industry. That friendship has paid off in a lot of ways but this payout was $11K + bonus annually.
>>
>>1095499

It's who and what you know.

Who you know is equally important at the low to mid level, but as you get higher and higher, your contacts become more important.

Basically, just about everyone can make it to 'I can own a home and live comfortably' on 'what they know', but most people get caught up in overspending.
>>
How exactly can I make connections?
Everyone seems to want to be friendly to me, if that info helps. As in, they will open the door for me, but not the person near me, or they will greet me and befriend me, but not the other.
>>
>>1095948

Be friendly to people.

Express interest in their affairs in general.

Be at the party/at the function/whatever.
>>
>>1095499
Are you more likely to go out with a chick on a totally blind date, or one your good bud set you up on.

>>1095913
This story summarizes why its "who you know."
Management got to know one of the candidates beyond that of the others, through planning, luck, whatever. They felt that he's a seemingly cool guy and took the chance on him.

If you're running a business, you'd want who you know, because you can be more confident they're going to be more dependable than who you don't.
>>
>>1095948

Friends and family can all be considered connections, so there's a start. Attending industry conferences will always yield new contacts if you're willing to partake and socialize.

I will say that the most overlooked aspect of making contacts is actually keeping on contact. A lot of people forget that they need to keep their important contacts engaged from time to time and really show interest when doing so. It's the same way you deal with friends and family, actually.
>>
>>1095499
Housemate is looking for work for over a year. Randomly, some guy he knows moves over. They meet once, he has a job earning $80 per hour the next week. That's 150k a year after being unemployed for more than 12 months.

It's all about who you know.
>>
>>1095962

>If you're running a business, you'd want who you know, because you can be more confident they're going to be more dependable than who you don't.

Exactly. I could only assume that the others who were with him (the VP) at that lounge were very close to him in those regards and surely had proven their integrity.

It's really something that people should take note of when dealing with higher-ups because they are, after all, people. And people are very subjective in the professional world.
>>
>>1095948
Check out networking groups. But be weary, there's a lot of pyramid schemers at some. Other, more close knit groups can provide contacts and even friends for life.

If you want to get really clever, go hang out in bars and restaurants where you know higher level business people will be. Grab a beer, strike up a chat, and you never know what can happen.

Just make sure you try to do more listening than talking. Politely ask professional questions about the other person. Everyone can enjoy sharing things about themselves, and its the best way to build a quick relationship with someone new.
>>
>>1095794
eh maybe not, it is really hard to get groups as a young kid in WoW since nobody wants to hear a 12 year old in voice. i know i hated that shit
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.