[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi, /biz/. I work a shitty minimum wage job for 48-60 hours a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1455534794391[1].jpg (518KB, 2500x1443px) Image search: [Google]
1455534794391[1].jpg
518KB, 2500x1443px
Hi, /biz/. I work a shitty minimum wage job for 48-60 hours a week (data-entry). I get a lot of free time during the first half of the 12 hour shift, so I am left to do whatever the fuck I want, and I'd rather use it productively.

I have decided to take up programming. Eventually I want to land a job that is at least above minimum wage for starters.

I know that I'll need to learn multiple languages etc.
What do I start from though? Which language (or combination) will land me a job in the shortest period? (note that I do not intend to stop learning there)
How long should I expect to be learning to land a job in the best case scenario? 6 months? 1-2 years?

This thread is also for discussing the general job market.
>>
>it's a what programming language should I learn episode

seen it so many god damn times, pls kill yourself or at least lurk more
>>
>>1094921
I didn't say which one I should learn, fag. Which one should I start with?
>>
>>1094921
>lurk
>on a board where posts disappear every couple of days
>on a board where nobody should re-ask old questions

Anyway, OP should start with either VB6 or a simple website with PHP, JavaScript, or both. What you want is an environment where you can get a window or page up without fucking with a million little tools. This will allow you to gain a basic understanding of data types (integers, strings, etc), control structures (ifthen, loops, etc), and libraries with visual feedback (buttons, alertboxes, etc).

After you master that stuff, then you can move to more difficult subjects like databases, graphics, etc.
>>
>>1094907

Read thourhg this thread, OP:

>>1066843

Lots of good information and discussion in there.
>>
>>1094963
>implying those at different questions
seriously though learn kneepads
>>
>>1094907
Depends on what you want to do really.

Statistical analysis? SQL, SAS, Haskell, Python, etc. Web development? Java m8. Learn java and all your wildest dreams will come true.
>>
>>1094969
>>1094982
>>1094988
Thank you all for your responses.
>>
>>1094990
Learning a language is easy, and gets easier after you've learned your first.

The thing you need to learn is the math behind programming. Discrete math and algorithms, not calculus. If you don't learn these concepts, you're as bad as the H1B visa Indian who's code I have to review and correct.
>>
>>1094996
I see. So basically having a sense of logic and understanding thoroughly how the computer thinks and how the shit I write works?
>>
>>1094996
unfortunately if you're in an average business environment you'll rarely use any complex algorithm because your code needs to be simple enough for everyone on the team to understand
>>
>>1094988
How does one "learn java"? What do I need to download to start making webpages? How do I go about making a website? God damn, I even took programming in first year uni but I still have no idea how to actually MAKE a webpage that other people can view.
>>
>>1095081
I have no idea brah. I don't know java, I'm more familiar with the statistical analysis stuff I mentioned. I'm just a data analyst brah.
>>
>>1095081
>How does one "learn java"?

have you tried googling "how to learn java" you lazy faggot?

you will never amount to anything

>>1095002

I'd recommend taking a free class on algorithms first, there's a good one on coursera
>>
>>1094984
I second this, kneepads is a good language to learn, it can get you $90k/yr starting
>>
>>1095059
And depending on how stupid your team is, you can be extremely limited in what you're allowed to do.
>>
File: efficient algorithm.png (67KB, 665x559px) Image search: [Google]
efficient algorithm.png
67KB, 665x559px
>>1095081
How does one go poo poo in toilet.

I dun forgot how to make brown :(
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.