[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guy with summer internship offer at Goldman Sachs here.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 10

File: image.jpg (73KB, 640x375px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73KB, 640x375px
Guy with summer internship offer at Goldman Sachs here.

Ask me whatever.
>>
File: TECHIES.jpg (35KB, 594x334px) Image search: [Google]
TECHIES.jpg
35KB, 594x334px
Are you a Jew? or just a shithead who doesn't care whether or not their profession needs to be morally justified.
>>
>>1094411
No, I'm a goy.
You'd be surprised but most people who work in investment banks (at least in london) are not jews but europeans and indians (with a few chinese around).
>>
Give a quick summary of your resume (uni/work exp etc).

Did you aim for getting the intership since a younger age or did you just have good RNG?
>>
>>1094416
Top 5 UK university doing engineering.
My university stuff is mainly working for a charity organization.
I got good RNG getting a spring insight at another top investment bank but flunked their interview at the end, but it was for the better in hindsight.

I never heard of banking until my first year of university so I read a shiton on the subject real fast and self studied a finance book.

I also practiced common interview questions online, especially brain teasers. It helped a lot.
>>
>>1094427

Are you a normie? I had interviews at banks and failed them all due to bad social skills. Same for all my other interviews with other industries.
>>
>>1094429
I'm not a social butterfly but acting like a normie is definitely a requirement. Everybody can do a banker's job, you don't need to be a genius at all, bankers want to hire people they can stand 10 hours a day, so you better be friendly and genial and polished too.
>>
>>1094427
What type of engineering did you do? Just about to start my masters in Industrial Engineering, and kinda want a consulting/banking job despite doing a bachelors in Computer Engineering.

Also attending a top uni with decent merits outside of my studies.
>>
>>1094433
Chemical engineering, I chose it only because it had the highest salaries. But the oil industry is in the shitter these days so it's banking or bust.

Banks like engineers, especially for sales and trading (what I'm going to do), but you need to appear polished even if you're sperg.
>>
>>1094435
What advice would you give to someone who wants to follow the path youre taking
>>
>>1094453
Go to a top university, read the wsj or ft everyday, study a finance or corporate finance book. Try to find the causes of different market phenomena. Why did the yen suddenly go up? Why is gold tanking? Why is oil and equity moving in tandem?
Why does apple have a low p/e ratio while google's is high? what is the expected value of a dice roll?

If you can answer these types of questions and can get past HR screenings (by going to a target), you will have a very good chance.
>>
Yo big ups on getting the internship, I like to see people on this website doing great things.
>>
>>1094403
do you see a lot of nobodies wind up there after a few years experience?

have my 7 and 63 but right now I'm pulling $50k~/yr in a call center. might be looking to make a switch soon
>>
>>1094474
Thanks

>>1094493
I'm heading into the securities (markets) division, most people there are lifers who try to retire early or get fired when the markets go bad.

I think switching from a separate industry would be difficult.
>>
>>1094496
Hey dude, I'm going to a mid tier engineering school which is also doing a target school for business and other soft shit like that

I'm doing eng/business

How good to my marks need to be in order to get hired in the trading and potentially quantitative side of an investment bank?
>>
>>1094496
yeah, I mean I'd want to stay in the brokerage business, but I'd like to go work for the big jews like goldman to make more money some time in the near future
>>
>>1094503
I heard in the US they require high gpas, like 3.8-4 or whatever. In the UK if you got a 2:1 (which most people get), that's totally fine.
>>
>>1094507
Go for it. Try getting into an off cycle internship or go for a masters or finance mba, you'll have a good chance.
>>
File: 4.jpg (171KB, 1920x960px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
171KB, 1920x960px
>>1094427
>I never heard of banking until my first year of university so I read a shiton on the subject real fast and self studied a finance book.
>Banks like engineers

Been in goldman interview in nyc for the real intern positions you clearly not have been. Yes, hmmm.
>>
>>1094525

Follow question, to get in to the quantitative side of trading, what's better: Computer or Mechanical engineering?

What is better in general if one wanted to work in finance?

Thanks for your reply
>>
>>1094546
What's strange about my comments? I did not know a single thing about banks or finance until university. Banks love engineers and quantitatives for sales and trading positions.
>>
File: 3.jpg (121KB, 1400x800px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
121KB, 1400x800px
>>1094558
>what's better: Computer or Mechanical engineering?

best luck i can only wish for your hopes. hire degree they dont. hire 30 years of coding experience few banks will
>>
File: 2.jpg (102KB, 1200x676px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
102KB, 1200x676px
>>1094560
Banks love engineers and quantitatives for sales and trading positions.

best of luck i can only wish for your engineering career young padawan
>>
>>1094558
Computer engneering (same as computer science right?) would be more useful because sales and trading is becoming more and more automated and knowing how to code or understanding it at least should be very helpful. Try to get some finance courses alongside it, ideally a computer finance module.
>>
>>1094546
>>1094562
>>1094565
why are you so autistic, stop this
>>
>>1094562
You're pretty autistic aren't you. At goldman and other banks I interviewed (and received offers) like deutsche bank, were full of engineers alongside econ, finance and maths majors.
>>
>>1094403
I have a question. Why do you think this is some great feat? Interns are a dime a dozen and literally shit tier, even at GS. This is the second thread that you have made and it sucks just as much as the first.
>>
>>1094572
When did I make the other thread?
>>
>>1094572

You have to have some amount of unwarranted self-importance to carry yourself the right way to get a spot at GS.
>>
>>1094573
Then maybe there is another tool just like you here. He also had an AMA thread about being an intern at GS. Also, I like 2 scoops of sugar in my coffee.
>>
>>1094577
>>1094577
I'm not even an intern yet, just got the offer lined up ;^)

But hey if u got a question about the markets I'm all ears.
>>
>>1094580
>if you have any questions
Not really scrub. If I think of any coffee related questions I'll come back to this thread though.
>>
>>1094427
what book?
>>
File: image.jpg (70KB, 386x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70KB, 386x500px
>>1094658
I used this book. Succinct and well explained., very good into book.
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 346x499px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 346x499px
>>1094668
sorry, very good intro* book

if you want to know more about the bond market and bond yields and other fixed income instruments, the best book in the business is this one by fabozzi.
>>
>>1094403
>>1094525
>>1094668

Btw all these IDs are mine, I'm just switching wifi networks (I'm always on the go).
>>
I work at GS as well. Congrats on getting to work on the projects that aren't worth the cost of a full time employee's salary.
>>
>>1094496
Do you mean like dcm or ecm?
>>
>>1094546
>>1094562
>1094562
>>1094565
New 4chan meme, somebody screencap this, I will make it my lives goal to make yoda a maymay
>>
File: poop.png (29KB, 1099x287px) Image search: [Google]
poop.png
29KB, 1099x287px
It's not hard getting an internship at a bank, if I was going to college i had an offer a few weeks ago, instead i got a job at a asset management company without a degree.

Making partner within a year boys.
>>
>>1095637
No, securities division is sales and trading, ecm and dcm are an extension of the investment banking division.
>>
>>1094403
What does Rothchild's dick taste like?
>>
>>1094580

Sup man, CS summer intern offer here for S&T

Did you interview for summer this year or convert your spring week ?
>>
>>1095745
Failed spring week interview at another bank but successfully interviewed at goldman. Went from a bad situation to an even better one.
>>
>>1094435
>Chemical Engineering
Good thing your going into banking, or else you'd be looking at chemicals coming out of pipes for the rest of your life...

From one engineer to another good luck anon!
>>
File: 1455512876949.png (713KB, 780x884px) Image search: [Google]
1455512876949.png
713KB, 780x884px
>>1094403
I'm going to an ivy league school and have connections to GS. What are my chances of getting into IB after graduate school?
>>
Congrats, buddy.

What's your top trade idea? :^)
>>
>>1095849
Thanks bro

>>1095862
Very good if you go to the right graduate school and study the right subject (hint: finance).

>>1095883
Buy bank stocks, they're cheap now because retarded ass(et) managers are pricing in a recession that's not coming.
>>
is it just me or is edith cooper hot in a weird way
>>
>>1094567
Computer engineering is different to computer science

different degrees with engineering (at most schools) requiring higher entry requirements, however, there is significant overlap as the software side (which is what i believe al computer science is) is often shared
>>
>>1096327
Should be perfectly good for a finance position especially if you want a job in an algorithmic trading company.
>>
>>1096327
Woah, programming is not what all of Computer Science is.

If you want to do algorithmic trading, you need a strong understanding of algorithm complexity and efficiency. You will have to go through the intense theory which you won't touch in CE.

CE is still very valuable in general, since it lets them know you can handle stress and work your way through hard math, but CS is what you should do if you know exactly what you want.
>>
>>1096426

There is a unit I can do called algorithms and ther are a few other software stuff in Computer Eng, however, looking over the guides of what is necessary to complete my degree, there is significantly more electrical engineering stuff/hardware stuff than software.
I don't necessarily want to be an algo trader, i just want to be a trader in general, which i figured the heavy math in engineering would give me an edge of all the CS plebs
>>
>>1094427
Welp you're a fucking liar. Thread over
>>
>>1096032
Does undergraduate matter? I have a degree in environmental science with a good GPA. Also I studied abroad for a year in China
>>
>>1096410
respond 2 me dammiyt, is edith cooper hot or not
>>
>>1096611
Her face is symmetrical, it's not displeasing to look at. At the same time it lacks any real distinct features aside from her jawline
>>
>>1096636
nah fool id hit that shit b
>>
How did you answer the "Why Investment Banking?" question.
>>
>>1095835

was it a spring week interview at Goldman too or did you do a spring week at Goldman then interview for the summer conversion or just interviewed direct for summer at Goldman ?
>>
>>1096410

Do they hire law graduates (or lawyers?) or is easier to get hired with a business or finance degree?
>>
>>1096486
Why do you think I lie?

>>1096552
I believe banks mainly recruit econ/finance and maths/science/engineering for quantitative roles. I'd give it a go but you'd need a good story about why you chose env sci for undergrad and now want to do finance (had a spark etc). You can always rebrand yourself with a masters.

>>1096611
She's back office
>in2 the trash it goes

>>1096660
Well I applied fo sales and trading and wrote that I became highly interest in the financial markets and how they were based on the aggregate of human emotions such as greed or fear, rather than any real efficiency and i liked the idea of using technology to take advantage of these human failures. I said that I learned about my interest in the subject from business courses at university.
>>
>>1096684
I did only one spring week at one bank (which I failed) and had no other work experience. I then applied to the normal summer internship route for the other banks and got goldman (and a few others). Funnily enough shit banks like hsbc either rejected or ignored my app. hsbc had this bullshit psychometric test and insta rejected me.

>>1096743
It's easiest with a bus/finance/econ degree. If you're doing a law degree at a top university it still shouldn't be too hard to move into investment banking (maybe not sales and trading though) but you need to explain why you want to switxh and prove that you understand basic business and financial concepts.

If you're already a lawyer it would be more difficult because banks mainly recruit from the university intake (the so called track), you'd need to network your way in with contacts in the banks, this could be done by working in m&a law and other law activities that are close to investment banking. I've read stories of lawyers doing this so it does happen.
>>
How can I get into IB if I started at something like a further education college?
>>
>>1094403
How much suck did you have to dick?
>>
>>1097023
>further education college
Is that like a college for retards or something?

>>1097265
>>
Do you see any statisticians there?
>>
>>1097376
Sure maths and stats guys are common especially on quantitative desks.
>>
Whats their current leverage ratio?
>>
>>1094415
>You'd be surprised but most people who work in investment banks (at least in london) are not jews but europeans and indians

Pretty fucking much. You excited OP?
>>
>>1097351
I think he means a city college or community college.

A local school you do your first 2 years at to save money and where old people go to further their education. He'll be fine as long as he has good grades.
>>
>>1096979
>shittier banks ignore your application
JPM Here and this is so true. I even applied towards a recruiting agency with close relations to my current bank and they rejected me.

It helped me to understand rejections aren't personal and that it's a fucking lottery, where you win by not playing(applying) and just talking to people already there.
>>
How much do A levels matter?
I'll be going to either Liverpool, Leeds, Manchester, Loughborough or birkbeck (pls rate/10 for each) to study maths.
My a levels are shit, probably gna get BBC (lower offer because of extenuating circumstances )
>>
>>1096979
>>1098484

Also incoming Buldge Bracket intern here. I am IBD tho. Happened the same. I didn't pass HSBC situational test and a lot of "not top" IBs rejected me without getting to the first round, however I managed to get internship offers at two Buldge Bracket Banks.

If you apply at an Investment Bank you actually need a lot of luck to pass the HR screening and get to the first round.
>>
>>1098560
What's your background? I'm not Ivy and I'd like to try out IB someday, but I feel I'd have to network my ass off.
>>
>>1098564
Public school here and IB here.

You have to work twice as much as an Ivy league prick for a job but if you're hungry enough that won't be hard. Keep your GPA above 3.5 and get out there and attend meetups for business/programming, depending on your field. Build stuff and always write your ideas into business proposals and formal documents like that.

All that combined will make you very interesting to people at the meetups and then you can ask them for contacts.
>>
>>1094403
so are you actually in IBD, or just PWM?
>>
File: 1455685269762.jpg (147KB, 640x675px) Image search: [Google]
1455685269762.jpg
147KB, 640x675px
>>1098574
>Keep your GPA above 3.5
>tfw even if I ace all of my classes in this final semester, it'll just float me up to 3.44
Fuck Chemistry classes, man. I'd probably have to rely on networking heavily. I can't lie when I'd say I'd go buy somebody from /biz/ a round of beers to get an internship like that.
>>
>>1098598
That's close man, you have to realize most people are in 2.0 range. You gotta learn to pimp out yourself. Like, spin the fact that you aren't 3.5 as something that motivated you, since you knew you were so close. Or that you didn't give a fuck about GPA and challenged yourself and still got your GPA in a healthy range.
>>
Salaries are pretty much the same with any other bank/company so nothing special here.
>>
>>1098598
Just say you have a 3.5GPA. I have a 3.31 and write 3.4

Nobody cares to make sure.
>>
>>1098625
Thanks for the good vibes, anon.
Networking is one of the harder parts honestly, especially if your school has no Alum in high places.

>>1098671
Yeah, I was hoping to push it up to 3.5 and finally be able to say I grad'd with honors but I certainly don't want to waste time and money for extra classes. I'd rather just pursue a MBA after getting experience.
>>
this fag goes to imperial college london: an institution full of fucking autistic sellouts who think making 45k is some panacea to their miserable lives.
>>
Don't be like me and graduate with a 2.0 gpa. Take the offer and get experience.
>>
>>1098436
What's google. Anyway seems to be around 9.

>>1098469
More anxious, gotta prove my mettle to get a full time offer.

>>1098500
Loughborough sends a lot to back office, but generally those universities won't easily get you front office. Fine for back and middle office with manchester and leeds probably higher alongside loughborough than the others.

>>1098589
Neither, S&T.

>>1098804
Damn, why the hate bro?
>>
i swear i've seen the exact same thread a month ago, are you happy about this internship ? im starting to think that offer never existed.
>>
>>1098986
The other thread wasn't me bro.
>>
bro? are you sure the metal plate in your head is not loose? Please, read a textbook on corporate finance, and fancies himself to be a finance whale with a big swinging dick. you're just another dowg with fleas. do you even know what is a catalaxy? I went to imperial, saw the incoming peril, set up a boutique hedge fund in year 3 and guess what bud: I made 800 thou in hong kong gold this morning. go enjoy your 45k for 70h weeks, you faglord
>>
>>1094403
>>1094432

>gets a job in one of the most toughest IB banks to get into
>casually shitposts on 4chan

Yeah, you probably got a job at some shit tier IB bank and mad that you got rejected from Goldman

Nice attempt though 8/10 got me to reply
>>
>>1099273
>things that happened
>>
>>1098946
So should I focus on Leeds and Manchester, and if I don't mind back office go Loughborough?

Is back and middle office even THAT bad? Considering front is the stuff everyone dreams for surely they can't be worthless right? Also thats at the best and biggest. What about boutiques?
>>
>>1099321

listen, you total fag. I will have you know that currently, I am riding two things: first is the imminent ETH pump and I am leveraged to my eyeballs, and second is your mum. case closed
>>
>>1099408
if you are going to leeds or manchester, you might as well not go. get a white van and a btec in plumbing - you will be better off
>>
>>1098946

listen here, bud. I am honing in on you. do you think there are countless of peeps in chem eng getting gs internships? corporate finance by pearson - do you think countless people rent it out from imp library? buddy, I've already got yr deets and will be reporting you to FSA for not fulfilling your fiduciary duty. you are creating a pump and dump in the gs internship market - you're a goner m8
>>
>>1095713
>thinks it's an offer letter
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.