[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I fucked up and am gonna be graduating with a degree in economics.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: economics_and_maths.png (242KB, 520x324px) Image search: [Google]
economics_and_maths.png
242KB, 520x324px
I fucked up and am gonna be graduating with a degree in economics.

What's the best way to get more technical? Learn to code?

technical degrees are the future

stem, accounting, finance etc
>>
>>1078215
>his Econ degree didn't have any metrics and modeling courses
>even worse they probably offered the courses and he didn't take them

M8 there's nothing wrong with an Econ degree. The problem is you.
>>
i took econometrics homie

econ majors aren't the only majors that can do linear regression analysis
>>
>>1078215
What are the math courses you had to take? My undergraduate university has both a BS and BA in econ but the BA didn't require the extra math. (BS was also through the business school). Did you have any electives available like forecasting through the math or stat department?
>>
unfortunately did the BA

so just calc basically
>>
BUMP FOR HELP
>>
>>1078215
I would just do the CFA, and learn some useful programming languages. Python, SQL, JavaScript, etc..

Then buy some modeling and financial mathematics books.
>>
>>1078269
No man, of course they aren't, but if you don't combine your Econ classes with regression modeling, statistics, and math then you might as well have majored in poli sci.

Economics is not a bad degree and you can get employed. I'm saying this as someone who had a job lined up as a data analyst before I graduated(May 2015). I now make $55k/yr + a yearly bonus. It's not a bad degree. I know the salary I provided isn't super great, but I'm pretty happy with it right out of college.
>>
>>1078215

You did not fuck up, you are just a lazy fuck who is not working towards what you want.

Listen to this guy:
>>1078332

Talk to recruiters and people already in the kinds of companies / institutions that you want to work in. Find people who have interned in nice places. Talk to them about what they did. Read, read, read and learn what you read. Make yourself a useful resource in a field.
>>
File: 1453273664063.jpg (64KB, 728x1044px) Image search: [Google]
1453273664063.jpg
64KB, 728x1044px
>>1078215
Learn Python!!
It will change your life.
>>
>>1078269
You'd be surprises how far multivariate regression can take you internship/job-wise.

I am an applied math&statistics major, and last summer all I did was some regression modelling (and basic gradient descent implementation that I picked up from that Coursera course).

Despite knowing how to do more advanced things, that simple method was my bread and butter.

That being said:
Learn more useful math and stats.
Learn to program.
Learn to use Excel very well.
Learn basic financial modelling.
Get some licenses/certificates.

There is no reason not to do these things when it is free to learn 99% of it online.
>>
Recently chose econ as my major, BS though, and probably will double with math or something. But now this guy has got me questioning my decisions...econ (the technical side) is decent right? I go to a a good school if that's relevant
>>
>>1078632
I'm the applied math and statistics major from directly above, and I would say economics is useful. I would love to have double majored but the department at my school is shit. Still took a handful of courses though.

Coupling it with math, stats, CS, even finance, is preferable, because you want tangible skills.

I think good economics classes can do a lot in teaching you a certain way of thinking. Supply and demand. Opportunity cost. Sunk costs. Liquidity preferences. Being able to frame something game theoretically (even loosely). Thinking about incentives.

Even if a lot of the specific models learned in an UG degree are bunk, the toolkit is a good one.
>>
>>1078640
Good to know, thanks. I was originally thinking a double major with math or stats would just give me lower grades (curve is set lower I think, and classes are harder) and make grad school more difficult to get into if I choose to go that route. But it's sounding like the degree is best complemented by actual technical skills, not just high grades. Does that sound about right?
>>
>>1078653
I am of the opinion that technical skills are important to differentiate you from other candidates and snag an internship/job.

This does not necessarily mean you need a double major to pick up said skills. You could teach yourself using internet/books, take a minor, or your econ major may even have plenty of technical courses if your department has its shit together.

What are you considering going to grad school for? If economics, you may very well want to double major to be competitive.
>>
I am a statiststician and all analyst jobs I apply to say that they are looking for someone with a degree in a quantitive subject like "statistics, mathematics, physics, engineering, economics blablabla". It doesn't really seem to matter as long as you have a solid quantitative base. What they are really looking for though is people who know SQL, R, SAS, Python. Combine SQL with one of SAS/R/Python and I see no reason why someone with a degree in economics couldn't get an entry level data analyst job.
>>
>>1078689
Sounds like you'd need to take some CS classes pham
>>
File: sodom.png (466KB, 684x1955px) Image search: [Google]
sodom.png
466KB, 684x1955px
>>1078629
This is decent advice.

>>1078622
This is life changing advice.
>>
>>1078689
The easiest path is to focus on SQL and excel right away. Look up w3 school and SQL on coursera. Focus on power pivot and the like in excel. OP admits that they lack a strong quantitative background but could still make good money as a business analyst. They can work to gain other skills that are more quantitative while building solid work experience.
>>
Economics best degree senpai
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.