[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How exactly does one find a low-tier/minimum wage position?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Fat_3fb0e1_5576352.jpg (55KB, 500x598px) Image search: [Google]
Fat_3fb0e1_5576352.jpg
55KB, 500x598px
How exactly does one find a low-tier/minimum wage position?

I am looking for a job before I go to University and I'm struggling to find anything. There seems to be a lot of competition for even the lowest of tier jobs.

I have noticed many of them ask you to apply online now, is this worthwhile or is the chance of getting an interview this way nearly impossible?
>>
>>1078031
Apply online bruh. If you know how to get around the filters put in place by HR in the online application process, getting a call for an interview is pretty manageable. Also certain positions are in more demand than others.

If you think you can hack it, look into overnight stocking. There's a night shift differential, meaning you make a buck or two more an hour for working overnight, and they are always hiring because turnover is so high. It's a shitty job, but if you're just doing it short term it's a good way to get almost full time hours and less shitty pay. I was able to save up about $2k doing it for a summer when I was in college.
>>
If you like dealing with people: print out some resumes, walk around your town going into stores and restaurants handing them out to the managers in them saying you're looking for an entry level job. Be dressed reasonably neatly but you don't have to be in a suit.

If you prefer an office environment: apply to every temp agency in your town / city online. Take their tests for word processing, Excel etc. (if you can't score 100% on these kill yourself).
>>
>>1078041
Basically this. Personally, I've had great success early on with temp agencies. Try Kelly Services, Randstad, etc. Give them a call, send them your resume, dress reasonably well, seem eager to work and not like you want to kill yourself. It's much easier than just shooting applications everywhere online, because that is shit. Before using an agency, I got a grand total of one interview (from fucking Burger King) by sending out my resume and applying online. Through the temp agency, I've gotten a bunch, had a few good jobs that I've used to supplement my income through school. They get paid if you get hired, so they will work to get you hired. They also usually have good relationships with their clients, so it makes it smoother. Give a local temp/employment agency a call and ask to come in and interview/take tests.
>>
If you do the surveys shit like mcdonalds just put the best answer for all (strongly agree or strongly disagree in some cases), on your resume, match as many keywords as the job responsibilities lists

If that doesn't work, make some friends that work shitty low wage jobs and ask them to hook you up
>>
>>1078037
Yeah i was considering a night-time stocking position.

I guess it's nice to work in the most chill time of the day but kind of sucks to mess up sleep schedule although the few bucks extra makes up for it...

I'm just wondering if it's better to apply to places in person rather than online. Seems like it's very hard to a call back(out of the few times I've applied online I've never heard back but I guess that's a bit low sample size and equal to applying in person anyway).

>>1078041
>>1078050
I tried the temp agency thing but idk if it's the ones near me or what but they only offer some SHIT-TIER 40+ hours/week factory labor work. The place reeked of shit, the would-be employees smelled like shit and looked like drug addicts and teenage parents and the staff were overweight and disgusting.

I looked around and then left after seeing what it all looked like.
>>
>>1078031
collection agency if you can find one. im an operations analyst at a mid size agency and theyre always looking for more collectors. mostly cause the work sucks, low wage, and constant drive to meet your targets.
>>
>>1078031
Apply online, but make sure you tailor your resume/application to the job posting as close as possible.
>>
>>1078160
It's p general though.

It's just:
- Name
- Work Experience
- School
- Other skills
>>
>>1078031
>apply online, application is sent directly to hiring
>apply in person and hope whatever soft face retard you give your application to actually gives it to the right people

Online is much better.
>>
>>1078167
In your other skills you should try and put shit that they specify on the job posting. Like if they say they want collaborative employees you should put down "collaborative" and give some past work or school experience that shows that you're collaborative. Shit like that, sort of.
>>
>>1078171
True but I thought if you added a face to your name it was a bit better? - That's why people try to hand their resume directly to the manager right?

>>1078173
Don't really have much of that... I just added relevant shit that has to do with management and such as bulletpoints under my work experience and for "other skills" I just added some interests and other stuff to fill up room and also show what kind of person I am.
>>
>>1078173
>>1078178
So basically I added that I helped train a couple of coworkers and worked well together with other coworkers, etc.

Didn't really go too in-depth though(it wasn't extensive, just a manager asking me to help train a new employee since I was very on point with the job), i could elaborate on it further in an interview or something though.
>>
>>1078096
>>1078279
Depending on your area, look at a Randstad office. Seriously. I just got a job from them this week within five days of giving them a call. Also, pad dat fuggen resume. You need to sell yourself. Don't lie, but stretch the truth. It's like when commercials say "number one movie in america!" when it's the number one selling movie in the town of bumfucknowhere indiana and nowhere else. Exaggerate, but NEVER lie. And call a staffing agency, seriously, especially if they're national staffing agencies. They work to get YOU work.
>>
Guize any tips on online applications?

I get stumped on the "what would you do" questions. Usually most options are very similar so idk desu.
>>
>>1079329
Well?
>>
>>1079329
Please reply.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.