[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WHEN WILL YOU PEOPLE FINALLY REALIZE THAT THIS IS WORSE THAN

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: Screenshot_2016-01-21-14-03-18.png (56KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-21-14-03-18.png
56KB, 480x800px
WHEN WILL YOU PEOPLE FINALLY REALIZE THAT THIS IS WORSE THAN EVER BEFORE
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/15/a-recession-worse-than-2008-is-coming-commentary.html
>Banks may be better off today than they were leading up to the Great Recession but the government and Fed's balance sheets have become insolvent in the wake of their inane effort to borrow and print the economy back to health. As a result, the federal government's debt has now soared to nearly 600 percent of total revenue. And the Fed has spent the last eight years leveraging up its balance sheet 77-to-1 in its goal to peg short-term interest rates at zero.
>Therefore, this inevitable, and by all accounts brutal upcoming recession, will coincide with two unprecedented and extremely dangerous conditions that should make the next downturn worse than 2008.
>First, the Fed will not be able to lower interest rates and provide any debt-service relief for the economy. In the wake of the Great Recession, former Fed Chair Ben Bernanke took the overnight interbank lending rate down to zero percent from 5.25 percent and printed $3.7 trillion. The Fed bought longer-term debt in order to push mortgages and nearly every other form of debt to record lows.
>The best the Fed can do now is to take away its 0.25 percent rate hike made in December.
>Second, the federal government increased the amount of publicly-traded debt by $8.5 trillion (an increase of 170 percent), and ran $1.5 trillion deficits to try to boost consumption through transfer payments. Another such ramp up in deficits and debt, which are a normal function of recessions after revenue collapses, would cause an interest-rate spike that would turn this next recession into a devastating depression.
>>
>It is my belief that, in order to avoid the surging cost of debt-service payments on both the public and private-sector level, the Fed will feel compelled to launch a massive and unlimited round of bond purchases. However, not only are interest rates already at historic lows, but faith in the ability of central banks to provide sustainable GDP growth will have already been destroyed, given their failed eight-year experiment in QE.
>Therefore, the ability of government to save the markets and the economy this time around will be extremely difficult, if not impossible. Look for chaos in currency, bond and equity markets on an international scale throughout 2016. Indeed, it already has begun.
>>
>>1053195

Not ready yet.
>>
They can, and will, go to negative interest rates. This will coincide with the banning of cash, and further erosion of our privacy and other rights.

Negative interest rates will save the economy's ass, but at what cost.
>>
>>1053236

I borrow and they pay me?

lol wut?
>>
>>1053238

No, silly. With cash gone, you have to keep your money in the bank. And every bank will have negative interest for savings.

The negative interest on loans will only apply to banks loading from the Fed. Joe Schmoe will have to pay the bank as usual.
>>
>>1053198
No nancy permabear

The qe moneys being held by banks who we pay slightly hogher than interest to not release the money

They can just release it in a controlled fashion as they increase interest rates and create a balance between interest rates and inflation
>>
>>1053195
I hope your right I have 10k in SPY Feb 26 puts...
>>
>>
>>1053195
no
>>
File: greenspan.jpg (70KB, 625x413px) Image search: [Google]
greenspan.jpg
70KB, 625x413px
>>1053297
> as they increase interest rates
>>
>>1053195
The banks arent better off today than they were pre 2008 their derivative exposure is higher and now there are less too big to fail banks that are far larger than there were before. The government has far more debt and is even more bankrupt than pre 2008 and the dollar is weaker than it was then.
>>
>>1053195
Hmm.. It's awfully worrying when even the mainstream start talking of recessions and crises..
>>
Oh yeah, OP, it is sooo awful...I am shaking already...NOT
>>
The DOW is universally regarded as one of the most retarded and irrelevant indexes in the US by any serious investors.

Only braindead mouth breathers look at it and think it says anything at all about the US economy as a whole.

Stay in your fucking containment board.
>>
>>1053195

Not to mention a great deal of the US economy growth the last years have been due to fracking, which is most definately loosing money, and we will see a host of defaults within the next 2 years, with tens or hundreds of billions of loans not being paid back.
>>
>>1054548
Their toxic assets have been written off. The banks are in a much stronger position. Check out citibank for example which is doing very well.
>>
>>1054783
Also not sure why the dude is saying it is bad for the banks to be in treasuries and consumer loans. Treasuries are safe as hell and loans to consumers is what banks do. Not like commercial loans are safer.
>>
What would be the effect of such a recession on the dollar's strength relative to the euro?

I keep my savings in both (I live in Europe but also have a small US company) so I would like to optimize my savings for any big rate changes.
>>
>>1054793
I don't see European strength in a US recession. Matter of fact, they should hit recession before us. So no major currency changes.
>>
>>1054811
>they should hit recession before us

That's a bit surprising. Why do you think that?

And do you think there's a country or group of countries that would clearly profit from this?
>>
>>1054814
>Why do you think that?
Well a number of reasons.

Germany is getting hit hard with autos right now and is basically the China of Europe.

Europe in general had a longer great recession than the US with a much longer recovery period.

Also the Europeans still have big debt issues.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-hint-of-trouble-in-european-debt-1453155026
>>
>>1054783
>toxic assets have been written off
>government bonds have been written off
>>
W A I T I N G F O R T H E D I P
>>
>>1053249
So if were going to have a cashless society, or have major limits in withdrawing cash do we switch to bitcoin?
>>
Please god. I just got a 10% raise. I need for stocks to go on sale.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.