[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /biz/, is studying architecture worth it? >will I find

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Hi /biz/, is studying architecture worth it?
>will I find work
>how much money can I expect to make in the EU (compared to an engineer)
Atm I'm in my first semester of mechanical engineering but I find myself being unsure if I can finish it with acceptable grades, also architecture interests me a bit more.
>>
Don't make this type of inquiry. It'll only disappoint you. All anyones says is how hard/impossible their field is, and it's all bullshit. Yes, you need to work hard, but if you put in the hours and have any semblance of talent (and no major mental/physical disability preventing you from succeeding in said field), you will make it. You can be whatever you want to be within reason.

If you're going to be doing what you're doing for the next 40 years, you might as well be passionate about it.
>>
>>1046669
I'm just scared of failing my engineering degree, despite actually being passionate for the field... thanks for your input though
>>
>>1046673

You're not going to fail if you put in the work. Millions of people have done this before you. Do you really think they are superior to you? Be proactive. Talk to your professors. Tell them about shortcomings/what you're struggling with, and let them know that you want to be as good as possible. If you are proactive with a professor, you really can't fail.
>>
>>1046677
Well thanks for the words I guess, I'll just continue studying engineering for now and maybe switch later if I can't do it.
>Do you really think they are superior to you?
No I don't, but I'm a huge procrastinator which ruined my school education (especially maths) and I have a huge deficit in learning methods etc, despite my IQ being well above average (which is a problem I can imagine a lot of people are confronted with)
>>
>>1046652
well I am an architect in the EU, so ask me anything.
>>
>>1046704
also the thing you posted, could never get approval in the EU, too much idiocy and norm breaches.
>>
>>1046704
do you actually get to design stuff/ be creative?
how much do you make a year?
do you work commission-based?
do you have a masters degree?
>>
>>1046704
I'm not OP, but I want to ask some questions. What are the differences between the job of a construction engineer and the job of an architect, which one is more payed/needed and do you have any tips on how to choose between the two? Also, is it hard to find a job in Eu?
>>
>>1046710
>do you actually get to design stuff/ be creative?
Yes, your main work is to be creative. However while working in an office, you'll mostly work as a cad-monkey the first couple of years, in which you'll have to prove your creativity in order to profile yourself.

>how much do you make a year?
while working in an office, do not expect great salary. you are not experienced, and only experience is what makes you valuable, since your worth is measured in the responsibility you can take in completing the projects. let's say in my state austria, your minimum yearly salary for a master graduate is €21.897,40 Netto.

>how much do you make a year?
Once you are commisioned and are a member of the architecture chamber, thus self-employed, you'll find architecture work very easily (I do), it is possible to earn €5000 in three days. this is what your goal should be if you want to make good money. however working as an employee with a 5+ experience and a responsibility of leading your own projects independently could get you a 3000 - 5000€ as well, depending what you are worth.

>do you work commission-based?
self-employed and as a member of the chamber you get a honorar which you calculate according to the now obsolete HOAI, that currently serves as a guideline. you can also work in an office by that system and earn more than being employed, however you'll not get your vacation payed.

>do you have a masters degree?
yes

>>1046712
>job of a construction engineer and the job of an architect
hard for me to say what a construction engineer does, since it is a broad field. from my relation with construction engineers, they are engaged in constructing a project, that you as an architect envisioned, designed and planed. that is the main difference. in my state a construction engineer is not allowed to design public projects or projects of social value, this is only allowed to be done by a skilled and educated planer, the architect.
>>
>>1046712
>which one is more payed/needed
construction engineers are engaged with working on constructing a project, and as such are surely more in demand, than an architect that is engaged in designing it and creating plans how it should be built. architects are thinkers, thus if you are a person that wants to create things from scratch, architecture is the field. construction engineers on the other hand are employed in order to construct those designs, so if you are more interested in the actual necessities of constructing a given plan, construction is probably more for you.

>Also, is it hard to find a job in Eu?
It was never hard for me, but some people seem to struggle. one should bear in mind, architecture is not a job, if you want to excell in it, it has to be your life, else you'll spend your days working as a demotivated cad-monkey.

Very important thing one should think of is that architecture is a very broad field, there are alot of things one can specialize in, and you should think about it in your first years of study.

(I for example design space-stations for the ESA currently, and am making a PhD in aerospace sustainable habitat construction)
>>
>>1046652
What a stupid house design.
>get home drunk
>fall to your death
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.