[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't want to be an engineer. Is Accounting the next best

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 4

File: 1450116884459.jpg (175KB, 900x1350px) Image search: [Google]
1450116884459.jpg
175KB, 900x1350px
I don't want to be an engineer. Is Accounting the next best thing? I go to a university that is like #20 in the country for accounting/business undergrads in general.

[spoiler]it's penn state[/spoiler]
>>
Be an engineer. I don't graduate for another 6 months but I already have a job for 75k. And I go to a state school... Do yourself a favor and be an engineer.
>>
>>1034872
What university? Are you a particularly good student?
>>
>>1034876
Also interested in this
>>
NO DUDE

I fucking wish i went with engineering.
>>
>>1034876
>>1035087
Don't believe this joker. There were engineers like that in my graduating class, but every one had family connections. Engineering's not worth the headache if you don't enjoy that kind of work.
>>
File: me.jpg (24KB, 349x349px) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
24KB, 349x349px
>>1034865
>mfw just arrived to uni
>roommate is engineering student
>so how hard is engineering?
>oh i have like a 2.whatever and i've wanted to do engineering since middle school, easily had a 4.0 in high school, took AP classes..."

AKA if you're not better than this guy, don't even think about engineering

literally not coming back after this semester is over. holy shit fuck engineering. i'm taking a bunch of gen-eds just to get an easy GPA. college sucks. go into trade or start business at home, anons. no joke. just got here and it's robot hell.
>>
College is a meme, son.
"UHHHHHHH WHAT DO I STUDY THAT ISNT SATURATED AND WILL GUARANTEE ME A SIX FIGURE SALARY AND A JOB RIGHT OUT OF COLLEGE"? You fucking faggots make the same goddamn thread every day on here. This is /biz/ not college.

Here. >>>/adv/
>>
>>1035423
*/college/
>>
>>1035419
Maybe you and your roommate are just stupid, anon.
>>
>>1035426
i'm brand new, a freshman

i'm very close to cancelling my registration before classes start so i get full refund. i'd rather go into a trade. i already hate university. it's just so dumb.
>>
>>1035442
You're probably not even good with your hands. You good with power tools, anon? Like climbing ladders? Like being on your feet all day? If not, you won't cut it in a trade.
>>
>>1035445
well, i hate uni and if trades don't work, what are even my options? fuck
>>
>>1035446
Become a mail carrier.
>>
>>1035446
Or just get a job and work there long enough to build up a pension. You don't have to make $100k a year to be fucking happy. Idk why /biz/ encourages this thinking. As long as you have a steady job that you can retire from after 20 or so years, that's great.
>>
>>1035462
>You don't have to make $100k a year to be fucking happy.
You have to make about 200k to be happy. Unless you're happy not ever having a family or living in Butt Fuck, Nowhere, Population: OP.
>>
>>1035442
>TFW you want to cancel but $500 deposit is keeping you in

Kill me now.
>>
>>1035479
just do it anyway dude. i just called my mom and told her i'm canceling everything. i might have to take a fucking taxi home
>>
>>1035462
>work there long enough to build a up pension

are you just making shit up off the top of your head? how many jobs do you think exist in the year 2016 that offer a pension, outside of the military or some police/fire departments?
>>
>>1035491
>just do it anyway dude. i just called my mom and told her i'm canceling everything. i might have to take a fucking taxi home

I can't man. My parents would legit kill me.

Plus the $500 deposit kind of fucked me over, don't really want to waste it. Plus I'm only going to community college so...

Then again, sunk cost fallacy... Should I just go with it?
>>
>>1034865
Don't do engineering if all you want to do is make money.
>>
There's always the military, Coast Guard is pretty cushy. People never think about maritime stuff: merchant marines/ yacht hand/ seaman etc. The Paul Hall Maritime School has a free 1 year program, when you graduate you are part of their union and able to get work on large cargo ships. The pay isn't great but you can use the experience to do better things.
>>
>>1035517
Honestly seems pretty fun. I might look into this.

I've always kind of wanted to sail around and adventure like that... Not sure if I'd want to do it fulltime 8 months of the year or whatever though.
>>
>>1035504
Pls help.

Should I just cancel and not tell my parents about it? I'd have to spend my day in the library or something then.
>>
>>1035520
I met some guys in French Polynesia who came in on a merchant marine vessel. They had like 30 hours of leave. They were a good bunch if guys, mostly clean cut, intelligent people.
You sign up for a voyage, and work one voyage at a time. So you can take as much time off as you want, but you won't make any money.
Easiest way to get into it is to start with a Z Card (issued by the Coast Guard) and start working on whatever ship you can as an ordinary seaman. After like 9 mos or something and taking a couple week long classes you can become an able bodied seaman and it will be much easier to get work.
Like I said there's also the Paul Hall school, Merchant Marine Academy, or if you want to take your chances at possibly ending up with a biring ass desk job you can join the Coast Guard.
>>
>>1035547
No don't do that. Just finish the damn semester man, and see how it goes. A year of college is still helpful if you want to try for certain government jobs.
>>
>>1035551
>No don't do that. Just finish the damn semester man, and see how it goes. A year of college is still helpful if you want to try for certain government jobs.

It seems downright terrible senpai.

Plus I feel like I'm just wasting my time and money... If I only finish the semester and then don't continue I'll still have wasted the money. I guess it's not that much but still, it just feels an entirely wrong move although not crippling by any means.

>>1035548
Sounds cool, I'll look into it. I'm guessing you don't really have much if any computer and internet access tho, right?
>>
>>1035592
>feel like im just wasting time

You were about to decide to spend the rest of the semester in a library to not make mommy angry.
>>
>>1035592
Also if I were in your shoes I would continue the semester but try and crash some classes to make up for the ones I dont want.
>>
>>1035678
>You were about to decide to spend the rest of the semester in a library to not make mommy angry.

Was just an example, I'd probably look for a job and work instead.

>>1035680
I don't want to go at all man. I just think of that money earning dosherdoo in an Index Fund when I imagine spending it on something I don't even enjoy.
>>
>>1035495
No I'm not. Work for the state or local government and you'll have a pension. Work for the post office and you'll have a pension. Work for Amazon, Amtrak, any big bank, a good company for over 20 years and put your time in and you'll have a pension. Learn a trade, get in with a union, and you'll have a pension. Not rocket science.
>>
>>1035744
Bump
>>
You're in a better position than I am OP.

I wish I realized I should have gone into a trade my freshman year instead of my senior year when I was too invested to go back. Now I'm crushed by 30k in loans and I'm working a job I'm having less fun with in an office rather than blue collar life I experienced over the summer
>>
>be
>>1035419
>>1035442
>>1035491
>cancel
>take taxi home
>taxi driver is some 50 year old electrical engineer who was laid off and is doing this to makes ends meet
>tells me how I need to do what I want to do and not what others want me to do or what I think I'm supposed to do
>suggested just getting a job somewhere
and just do what I want to do until I figure things out

Other than him being religious, he was really cool.
>>
>>1036017
Smdh

What your parents say senpai
>>
>>1035419
FUCK your retarded fucking roommate.

I'm an EE student, graduate next December.

I have a 3.37 overall GPA and a 3.85 in EE. This shit is not hard. Those retards who claim engineering is hard are the same jackasses that go party all weekend and never study or do their coursework. Then they decide it'd be a grand idea to cram and both other students for help the night before exams.

Engineering is not that bad if you actually apply yourself.
>>
>>1036031
This. I've just applied to 5 Universities for ME masters. With side courses like managment. Hopefully I'll get into one.
>>
>>1036030
They didn't care because I canceled everything before any classes started, so I get all of the money back. I'm just going to get some job at a store and save up some money while thinking about what I want to do, paying a bill here and there. The taxi driver was really cool
>>
>>1036075
Fuck dude should I do the same thing?

It's only community college so it's not that much but still...
>>
>>1036083
I canceled because I was paying full price($15,000 per semester) and if I didn't cancel today, I would have had to pay that with them taking off 20% of the refund every week, I guess.

I'm very glad that I got out before I was stuck in it for like 5 months.
>>
File: dogeman.jpg (95KB, 1080x1676px) Image search: [Google]
dogeman.jpg
95KB, 1080x1676px
>>1034865
whether it's engineering or accounting, if you hate it you gonna suck at it
>>
>>1036087
>$15000 per semester

What in the fuck? Is that just tuition?
>>
>>1036097
It was the total cost for a semester, with dorm/meal plan. Do you understand why I left, now? I don't know what in the hell I was thinking, but I'm glad I got out.
>>
>>1036099
Good to hear senpai.

what about me tho, should I bail this shit or what?
>>
>>1036125
I doubt you're paying a whole lot for community college, but if the credits won't transfer to a university, what's the point?
>>
>>1036166
Parents man, that's what.

Fuck I feel like just cancelling it and getting some construction job or something so I can earn some money while thinking about life.
>>
>>1036171
This guy I was in the taxi with, who was driving me home(it cost me about $280, all of my christmas money by the way) basically told me to just have fun because life will go by very quickly. He's about to turn 50 and he was saying that he remembers like it was yesterday that he was my age(20) thinking about what he wanted to do with his life. He's divorced with 4 kids. He said to just get a job to make some money, have fun, and think about what I want to do because I have the time. I'm only 20.

>>1036171
It's not even your parents decision.
>>
>>1036181
It is their decision man. I'm a fucking failure, they gave me a lot of money and will be disappointed and kick me out if I don't go. I need to go for at least another semester but I really don't to...

Not even sure how I'll tell them desu.
>>
>>1036185
It's not like you're throwing away a full scholarship to Stanford or something, anon. It's community college. Just go when you want to go.
>>
>>1036181
Its his parents decision if he's being a fucking neet leech.

>>1036171
Go to community college you lazy fucking faggot. Don't be a quivering vagina about it. Either that or get the fuck out of your parents house and work at McDonald's.
>>
>>1036191
You are a piece of shit. Don't feed in to the lazy whiny bullshit.
>>
>>1036194
>>1036196
I don't know enough about his situation.
>>
>>1036191
Paid deposit plus parents will be pissed. I haven't done shit for so long, pretty much lost hope of living normally someday.

Should I just cancel and not tell them and work during that time instead?

>>1036194
>>1036196
Wow very compelling argument. Could you use some more swearwords? It really gets the point across clearer.
>>
>>1036197
Telling him to better himself is better than telling him to continue being a piece of shit neet.
>>
>>1036199
Dont be a lazy sack of shit. Go to college. Learn something. Better your life.
>>
>>1036202
What part of "I want to get a job instead and not waste my time there" don't you get?

You sound like you're projecting, I get mad at other losers too but that's only because I'm ashamed of my own situation.
>>
>>1036031
>>1036055
>engineers
>going to parties
I thought they did the opposite. Just stayed in their room and played xbox. That's how it was in my college
>>
I was a loser five years ago, then I went to community college, then university, then I got my degree, and I have my job. It is not difficult. If your parents are willing to support you going to college, you should take the chance.
>>
>>1036207
>>1036211
Didn't link your comment.
>>
>>1036220
I wish I could just go straight to University though. I really don't want to spend time in community college.

How hard is the work? Do you even need to attend class desu?
>>
>>1036231
You really don't want to go to university first. It's too overwhelming. You spend a lot of money on basic general education credits. There are a lot of idiots. You have to live in a dorm room, possibly, and they always suck.

Go to community college first, save money, and then transfer over to university, no need to mess with dorms or any of that.
>>
>>1036250
I'll be getting jewed on transfer credits though, will barely get any, possibly none at all.(really retarded I know)

Smfh
>>
>>1036257
Tell that to your parents, then.
>>
>>1036231
If you are not an idiot then you will do fine. There is no busy work like in highschool. How people fuck up is that they take it too lightly. It is still college and you are paying for it. If you keep up with the work that's assigned then you should easily have a 3.0+ gpa.

Take the classes that you need for your associate degree and don't fill up on the underwater basket weaving classes.

If you are good at math, try to finish up to calculus. After your first semester or two, you will figure out what you are good at. Don't freak out and try to plan what major you will have before you step into a class.
>>
>>1036257
If you are going to a shit community college that doesn't have credits that transfer to a local state university, then you have to be careful.
>>
>>1036269
>>1036274
Fug. I gotta think of something... Maybe I'll just find a full time job and do that instead
>>
>>1036283
Some people go that route, then go back to community college when they want their careers to start growing. If you get a full time job, then take a couple of night classes a semester at a decent community college.
>>
>>1036283
Also, I am having a hard time believing that your credits from english 101 wouldn't just transfer to a university somewhere.
>>
>>1035495
My uncle just retired. He was a construction worker who moved up to making $200k a year and at ~40 has a pension of $5k a month.
>>
>>1036302
Canada senpai. So the shit is all retarded and doesn't work the same
>>
>>1036304
You meant he owned a construction company?
>>
>>1036307
Don't you have like free education then? Wtf.
>>
>>1036317
He didn't own one, but he wasn't physically working in the sun either.
>>
Guys im a 3rd year computer science, should i drop out and work in the cannery?
>>
>>1036327
So manager?
>>
>>1036344
Yes. Computers are just a fad. Nobody needs that shit. Everyone just uses phones anyway. XD
>>
No one is hiring graduate engineers anymore, so there's that. You really need to be very good or very connected or both if you expect to find a decent grad role as an engineer. There is of course decent work for experienced workers
>>
>>1036323
Not free just partly subsidized I guess.

~4k tuition per year for community college ~7k per year for University although some schools/programs are a bit more.
>>
>>1035504
Go into trades.

University seems to be shit nowadays.

Get into an education with a solid career end game - aka most trades.
You can get educated/learned for free
>>
>>1036485
I don't know how and I'm not sure I'm cut out for it. Seems like it has immense competition and doesn't pay all that much.
>>
>>1035442
>confirmed
Not everyone can hack it in college, I guess.
>>
File: Urbanplanning.jpg (122KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
Urbanplanning.jpg
122KB, 620x349px
I don't know about engineering, OP, but stay away from accounting like it's the plague. Anyone I know who does accounting is either boring as fuck or hates their life.

Also, asking here as it doesn't seem worth a thread, but what's /biz/ opinion and planning as a career? I did a business degree, with a major in business law (Ireland, so not actually qualified to practice law without further study and an apprenticeship) and a minor in management. I'm thinking of doing a masters in planning & development for a career as an urban planner, as law is apparently somewhat relevant.
>>
>TFW going to have to lie and not attend to the senpaitachi

Feels shit desu senpai.>>1036485
>>
>>1034865
>penn state
>#20 in the country for accounting/business
top kek m8

And no, accounting is shit, you'll be working for 20 years or so before you get to the good salary, and at that point, you'll probably be borderline suicidal.

take a business related course like applied economics, management, finance, or project & supply chain management.

then, either set up your own company - can be something you come up with yourself, or simply approach business-illiterate tech school kiddies who want to be the next google, and convince them to take you on board to help get the administration side of things done, then kick back and enjoy a comfy salary.

Also, i'd advise trying to do well and get a transfer to a better school - you could try UPenn since it's in the same area, but you may have to take another year out or forfeit credits, shit like that.

People don't go to college for knowledge, they go to (good) colleges for making contacts.
>>
>>1036283
Apply for a job at Costco. The cashiers make $15 an hour. Not bad money.
>>
>>1036487
It doesn't pay much to start but after those first four to five years, you'll be making pretty good money.
>>
>>1036529
UPenn is in Philly and Penn State is in State College. Don't know how far the two are from each other.
>>
>>1036594
>>1036597
I've applied before. They never even called me back.

If it pays so much I'm guessing they only pick the best applicants and with the competition nowadays tbqh I wouldn't be surprised if I'm competing with several middle aged people with decades of dependability and experience. I could see how they would choose them over me.
>>
>>1034865
Go into Industrial Engineering.
>Easiest engineering degree
>Great job security
Then, after you get some experience get an MBA. After that consulting or work your way up to be an owner or CEO.
>>
>>1036607
Did you apply for an apprenticeship?
>>
>>1036806
I don't know how to in Canada. Wouldn't mind doing something cool like electrical work tbqfh.
>>
>>1036808
I'll do you a favor and look, bro.
https://www.ecao.org/electrician.asp
http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/3400appr
>>
>>1036808
If you are in Ontario you will never get into electrical unless you are well connected. 3:1 journeyman/apprentice ratio
>>
>>1036833
Yeah I've fucking heard that. Kind of sucks

Worst part is one of my relatives was going to hook me up with a pretty decent apprenticeship but they ended up getting into a fight around the time so it didn't work out.

>>1036832
Well yeah but I mean how to _ACTUALLY_ get one.
>>
>>1036835
You have to apply...
>>
>>1036835
I'm an electrical engineer and wanted to get into an electrical apprenticeship to get dual ticketed as an electrician. Every new grad sparky that I talked to went out west to get their hours.
>>
>>1036529
> they go to (good) colleges for making contacts.

Penn State has the largest alumni network of any university in the world and was ranked #1 in the country for recruiting by the WSJ.

Lurk moar
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.