[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how accurate is this? >tfw dont know what to major in, heard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 298
Thread images: 19

File: image.jpg (254KB, 857x721px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
254KB, 857x721px
how accurate is this?

>tfw dont know what to major in, heard finance is a good all round degree
>getting cold feet, dont know what is a good degree and what is bad
>just want to become a ATC
Is finance a good universal degree? Or should I shoot for something like Statistics or Math
>>
>>1032995

Look,

The only point of the degree is to show employers that you can take orders well, and work hard.

So just pick the degree with the most taking orders and work (Quantum Nuetrino Physics in a cyber kinetic vacumm) and that degree will have the most value

The easier the degree, the less it is worth
>>
>>1032995

Why is finance ranked so low? Starting salary for a banker is 70,000 + bonuses at worst lol
>>
>>1033149
Good luck getting a banking job.
>>
>>1033159
Being in a target school skews my view I guess
>>
File: 1449878720824.jpg (224KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1449878720824.jpg
224KB, 768x1024px
here is the real ranking

>god-tier (fresh, high paying jobs wherever you go, shit is p hard too)
mechanical/electrical/chemical engineering, computer science
>would be god-tier if there were related jobs for bachelors degrees -tier (better go to graduate school)
physics, math
>above average-tier (connections preferred/prepare to get a boring or hard job for barely middle class salary)
accounting, finance, the other engineering majors, nursing
>average tier (better have some passion for this shit and be really good to get a job at all)
economics, language translation if you plan on moving straight to the country with native speakers for the rest of your life, rest of the business majors, IT
>shit-tier (100% waste of your time and money)
most other things
>>
>>1033004
PhD in hoop-jumping
>>
it's not

if you go to a target school for finance you probably make more out of undergrad than any other of these degrees

it's made by an angry stemfag
>>
>>1033181
what is a "target school"
>>
>>1032995
only quantitative degrees are worth a damn
even in finance an engineering major would be preferred over a finance one
>>
>>1033184
and not sure how old this chart is but stats and cs should at least be god tier, given the current trend in big data and data mining
>>
>>1033184
>even in finance an engineering major would be preferred over a finance one

Lol shut the fuck up
>>
CRNAs make more than a lot of engineers lol
>>
It's mostly accurate. I don't hear any about any majors below "good tier" ever doing super well. Try to aim for good tier at least
>>
>>1033183
hpysm
>>
>>1033187
he is right thou.
the main problem with the chart, is a lot of that stuff doesn't matter unless you are going for a masters in it. Such as mathematics/astrophysics/ any science/ Not saying you can't get lab work with just a B.S. but you won't get paid a lot.
Like Veterinary studies. You don't do shit with a b.s. in that. you go to fet school after. and it is on the same tier as accouting, which is a 5 year degree
>>
>>1033149
It's obviously been created by STEMfags who, to be fair, did have the most desirable degrees 5-10 years ago.

It's all regional variation about what's in demand though. I live in the biggest UK FinTech hotspot outside of Londok for example, so the only worthwhile degrees are those which will get you into either development or FSI.
>>
>>1033160
>target schools

Unless you're at an Ivy League school, Oxford, Cambridge, or similar, it doesn't matter where you studied as long as it's in the top 10% for your field of study.

You can study at a top university and still be a fucking pleb that no bank will want to hire.
>>
>>1033311
No he isn't? He literally isn't right at all.

I had to do a skills assessment of my Consulting practice within my Big 4 firm, I could tell you the breakdown of degrees and can tell you right now, you're talking about of your ass.

Highly quantitative roles, a lot of maths/statistics based degrees. Otherwise degree makes no fucking difference, it's the person you hire not the degree. Degrees are just a tick in a box to get to second stage.

The best market data analyst I know studied History of Fine Art. Stop forcing your bullshit engineering meme friend.
>>
>>1033336
You misunderstand me. I just said engineering>fiance. I know degree doesn't matter
>>
>>1033339
If we're going for overall quality of the degree, then probably.

Utility in gaining employment with an FS firm? Finance is more useful, solely because of the domain knowledge involved.

They might have a better degree, but I'm not going to hire a maths PhD over a BA French grad to teach a French class.

I know so many plebs who studied supposed top engineering disciplines though, typically haven't seen the same from Finance grads. Also I'm 100% not a Finance grad. My Business Technology degree is much more memey, but as a Business Technology Consultant, it's kinda useful.
>>
>>1032995
Wow. Actuarial is actually listed, and it's exactly one tier below mathematics.

That's more accurate than I expected.
>>
Why would you listen to unsourced images on 4chan?

I remember years ago people would always respond to everything "lol who would ever listen to 4chan? It's a satirical website!". Now people actually believe and argue the dumbest shit...
>>
Can someone break down the difference between computer engineeing, computer science and IT for me?
>>
>>1032995
What is "Transportation"?

Marine Transportation is hilariously good.
>>
>>1033443
IT is for retarded Indians and women it's also capped at like $50k/yr
>>
>>1033186
Don't forget IoT.
>>
>>1033168
>electrical engineer friend
>straight out of uni purchased low level manufacturing equipment (few years ago)
>got a contract today for $600,000 for 3-4months work.
>didnt even give a shit, happens all the time
>>
>>1033330
??? Guaranteed your talking out of your ass. NYC BB have pretty good presence within NE schools. Ivy leagues and whatever prestigious groups are shit compared to better geographically located Uni's and schools with better career centrers.
>>
File: MilesDavisKindofBlue.jpg (33KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
MilesDavisKindofBlue.jpg
33KB, 400x400px
Honestly the best major to go for in my honest humble opinion is MechE.

>stable salary
>work isn't fucking boring (just have to get into R&D to do more interesting things rather than CAD)
>versatile and broad
>challenging, not a lot of people can get an engineering degree
>always in demand

I would've chosen CS but you just mostly code for a job. I guess it doesn't matter if you enjoy coding.
>>
>>1033982

no they're not. That's why they are target schools. To keep it simple: if you're at a target school let's say you have to be top 20% to get into banking while if you aren't at a target school you have to be top 10% or even top 5% if the uni is a shitty uni.
>>
>>1033339

engineering is better than finance if you want to work as an engineer. If you want to wort in the finance industry then you're wrong.

But don't worry, all the engineering students are arrogant af thinking they are superior to other just because the others don't study engineering.
>>
>>1034029
>engineering
>doing shit others tell you to do

good for society, someone has to work
>>
>>1034033

>doing shit others tell you to do
hahaha You have no idea what we do in the finance industry.

So tell me anon, do engineers what they want or do they have to follow orders from their clients or bosses?
>>
File: 1448816750888.png (128KB, 252x289px) Image search: [Google]
1448816750888.png
128KB, 252x289px
im in transportation...
>>
/sci/ here, this is trolling chart for trolls for /sci/. It seems this chart may have leaked outside of /sci/ into other boards. Don't take the bait.
>>
>>1033442
This
>>
>>1034618

What would a legitimate chart look like? What would move up and what would move down?
>>
>>1034623
>What would a legitimate chart look like? What would move up and what would move down?

Fucking nothing because nobody in the world let alone 4chan's business board(with 50% NEETs) can make such a chart. It's so subjective and based on different parts of the country let alone world.

In Eastern Europe studying Engineering is fucking retarded and you'll barely be making shit whereas if you freelanced/did projects on the internet you'd make 3x as much as average engineer., just as an example.

In some parts of the world and at certain times(not now) Petroleum Engineering is toppest of top-tier.

Stop looking at 4chan for advice and think critically, fuck man it's really weird to see people actually falling for and believing 4chan memes. It can't only be me but back in the day it (at least seemed) like everyone understood 4chan was not a source of quality information and just a place to pass the time.
>>
>>1034629

>nobody can give any advice or recommendations ever, medieval history is just as good as engineering or commerce

Bit of a downer senpai.
>>
>>1034662
They can give advice based on some info obviously but how are they suppose to make a fucking comprehensive chart about majors?

It:
a) Doesn't take into account location
b) Le current year, soemthing are more in demand at different times
c) Goals
d) Talents and skills
e) Country and more specifically part of country
f) What school was attended
>>
>>1034674

So tell me what I should do based on my location etc.
>>
>>1034675
So post those details about yourself for a start.

Otherwise following a chart on 4chan is literally retarded.
>>
>>1034677

I live in Australia, I'm socially retarded and I just want to make enough money to feed my family and purchase gym equipment. I also want to do something that isn't ridiculously oversaturated or about to be offshored to Uzbekistan.
>>
>>1033168
>language translation
>average tier

It is if you go major on that, but if you´re already bilingual and have studied anything else you can get a very decent amount of money there. Many doctors move to SE Asia and translate specialized documents for more money than they´d get by working as doctors, and come back after a few years drowning in money.

I got a degree in Classic Philology, I´m barely even trying and I´m getting 1200€ a week.

It´s true that you need passion, though. I´ve been translating as a hobby since I was 12, and still I have to put a huge amount of time in getting new clients.

I don´t see me doing this for life, but it´s a quite nice way to sustain myself while I work on something else.
>>
>>1033208
Lots of money to be made in marketing/advertising/PR..what are you on about?
>>
>>1034681
You can do accounting
You can do nearly any kind of engineering
You can do psychology (if u can handle the people and their issues)
You can get a trade such as plumbing or electrician
You can become a cook
>>
>>1034681
Do an MBTI test and find out...
>>
>>1035037
What about software/CS?
>>
>nuke eng below civil eng

Never met another nuke eng making below 6 figures
>>
>>1035059

Taking a test that has been discredited for decades is probably not the best advice.
>>
>>1032995
My advice to you OP: don't get a general degree. If you aren't studying something you'd do for a low wage, it's not worth the investment because you'll find something you'd rather be doing.

I will be called a faggot for shilling this path, but if you're looking for a general degree, work some random jobs first until you discover something you're passionate about, then do that.

>B-but you won't want to go back to school once you start earning money!
So what's the problem with that?
>B-but muh Scholarships!
If you're getting a free ride that's a consideration, but there are scholarships for mature students too, and after enough time has passed, your parents' money won't be a factor any more. So it could actually help in that regard
>B-but Anon, do you even know what ATC is?
Google says air traffic control, so probably not. If you want to go into something where any degree will do, why are you stressing about it anyway?
>>
>>1032995
>example of astronomy being higher than accounting

This looks to heavily favor engineering and science and was created by someone than doesn't understand the finance job market.
>>
>>1033004
this
>>
>economics anywhere above middle tier
>economics above finance or law
>mech engineer and mechanical engineering mentioned separately

whover made this, 8/8 b8 m8
>>
>>1033202
Kek, you got this shit right.. my wife is a CRNA and she damn near makes 3 times what I do.
>>
>>1033168
>above average-tier (connections preferred/prepare to get a boring or hard job for barely middle class salary)
accounting, finance, the other engineering majors, nursing

you're a complete retard. those fields pay $45-55k/yr starting. since when is that a 'barely middle class' salary?
>>
>>1032995
>Chemistry
>Not shit tier

I love chemistry, I'm a sci fag too but you've got guys with Masters and PHDs competing for entry level bachelor degree jobs.

Also Nuke Eng should be higher, switch with computer Eng. Switch Aerospace Eng with Mech Eng.
>>
>>1034224
What kind of "transportation"?
>>
>>1032995

As a chemistry major, chemistry is shit tier
>>
>>1033477
Shhh.....that's the secret.
The less people that know about the academies, the better.
>>
>>1035355
>implying econ isn't vastly superior to law
kek
>>
>>1035782
NEMT provider
>>
File: 1430966755564.jpg (154KB, 557x595px) Image search: [Google]
1430966755564.jpg
154KB, 557x595px
If I may ask. Is there ANY way to get into UCL, study civil/mechanical engineering without straight A's? I didn't completely fuck up in HS. But you know. Could have done better. Am from Sweden if that holds any specific importance.
>>
I don't know where all you electrical engineering students get your jobs. I can't even find an internship
>>
>>1033330
no this guy's got it. even if you go to an elite school if your gpa is under 3.5 you're not going to get serious looks. god forbid it's under 3.2
>>
>>1034892
Do you know classical armenian?

Attic greek is such a bitch. I could never have done your degree and studied all those sentence structures and irregular mindfuck verbs.
>>
>>1033149
$13 an hour is not good though.
>>
>>1033443
>computer engineering
Bill Gates and Steve Jobs
>computer science
Pajeet
>IT
Geek Squad
>>
>>1036347
do you go to a shit uni?
Uni prestige matters A LOT.
>>
What tier are trades?
>>
>>1037092
Meh tier state school in NY. Maybe that's partly why. Everything around me are software jobs.
>>
>>1033168
Damn she has such anti-hips she can virtually not wear bikinis.
>>
>>1037006
I´m not really interested in that region. I did want to learn some other ancient language, but Greek and Latin were enough trouble at the moment and I decided to get German and Chinese instead. Failed miserably with Chinese, but at least I did learn German.

Greek isn´t THAT bad, actually. The vocabulary´s a bitch, and it´s so close to modern Greek that you can learn that too for a huge boost.

Anyways, Latin´s where its at. At first Greek is harder, but after you reach an intermediate-advanced level you find out that Latin is several times more horrible than everything Greek might throw at you.

I´ve had exams with only one question: translate one single fucking sentence, not much longer than this one. You can use dictionary and a grammar book.

Almost everyone failed.

Still, it´s the teachers who really shit it up sometimes. Like that one guy obsessed with the theater of a specific era, location and style, and requires you to become as proficient as he is after his +40 years of specialization. Also to have the same opinions.

Or that other fucker in a Linguistics class. Linguists say there´s between 3.000 and 7.000 languages in the world. This guy agreed with the 7.000 folk. He made us learn ALL of them by name, and their relationships to each other. It showed up in the exam - we got three groups of languages and had to recognize which didn´t belong there. Out of a class of 200, only <20 didn´t immediately hand in a white paper and leave. Of those, only half of us passed, and no one with more than a 6 (0 bad, 10 perfect). I did it because he´d handed every topic (15) for the students to develop and present to the class. My group got the languages of the world. Worst semester ever. Teacher also wanted a bunch of other shit about every language family, most of it not even documented for half of them. And maps. Oh god the maps.

But to be fair, you only had to know about Romanian being a romance language to pass that exam question.
>>
>>1032995
College is a meme
>>
>>1032995
ITT: 18 year olds having anxiety attacks over what major to pick.

Goddamn I love the fact that I chose real estate.
>>
>be meh tier
phew
>>
>>1037096
Perfection
>>
>>1032995
where is mechanical engineering? it should be in unbelievable tier if not in great tier
>>
Looking at a bachelor which focuses on all things entrepreneur related: marketing, communication, some law aspects, financing etc.

I'm on /biz/ because I want to become a business owner in the future. Will this education be of any value? Or would it be valued as high as women's studies?
>>
>>1037206
It's the second thing listed under 'God Tier'
>>
>>1037251
Like business management. I want the same question answered pls ??
>>
>>1032995

Why not both?

Statistics is part of math btw.
>>
>>1037251
>>1037290
I'm too lazy to verify at this moment, but I'm 99% sure that the 2 most common degrees of Fortune 500 CEOs are engineering and accounting.

Funnily enough, these are called wage slave degrees by /biz/.
>>
>>1037320
but what abooouuut businnnneeesss maanaaagemeeeent.... :((((((

I wanna be the big boss executive of my own private company/entrepreneur or something
>>
>>1037380
You might find some interest in an art related bachelor. You'll probably be the next Picasso, I can feel it!
>>
>>1037384
I always did want to be an actor in a movie... thanks for motivating me brooo!!!!!
>>
>>1037380
No Big Boss for you :c
>>
>nursing
>good tier
thank god, i've dealt with 3 years of people poking fun at me for being useless
at least the internet thinks i'm making a good choice
>>
>>1032995
>comp eng
>unbelievable
yeah its unbelievably shit. Its the format my pc guy
>>
>>1033443
Computer engineer = fancy name for guys that fix computers

Computer science = mostly programming or other shit

IT = fucking retards
>>
>>1037612
You done good anon. Go be a CRNA like my wife and make fun of all the other majors while you making it rain.
>>
>>1033186
At my school Economics is basically Stats
>>
File: image.jpg (538KB, 1275x1650px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
538KB, 1275x1650px
Heres the REAL chart
>>
>>1037643
Mechanical Higher than Electrical Engineering
>into the trash it goes
>>
>>1037643
>STILL no trades listed.
>>
>>1037643
The bit about performing arts needs expanding, because musicians can actually do shit, like also produce, do session styles, and a lot of other shit that acts as a reliable income, unlike 'actor/drama' trash
>>
>Plant Science

What does /biz/ think the world will hold for me?

I've narrowed it down to three roads
>Live a like king doing jack shit sitting on my ass while I "manage" a park
>Smoke dank weed with my harem of holistic bitches, orgies, lifestyle a la manson
>Die a broke tree hugger
Either way I think I'll be happy
>>
aero grad here, 70k starting. 6k bonus.

hard major but worth the benefits
>>
>>1038237
as a horticulture graduate, plant science is an alright tier.

I am currently trying to get into the cannabis field. literally.

The world is going to need people to grow the food in concrete bunkers when the nukes come down.

plant breeding is done by and for people. Robots can only do so much.

most colleges will fund the shit out of your education if you start going for plant science. mostly because everyone thinks that farming is boring and dumb.

most of my education has come from scholarships.

I will graduate without taking out a loan.

U of MN btw
>>
>>1037889

Nassim Taleb's 'Antifragile' offers the best explanation of how drastically musicians and other artists differ from the standard professions.
>>
>>1037643
>Math PhD
>Bad tier
Retard.
>>
>>1037643
you can hit $90-95k salary in 5 years of public accounting in a large city at the big 4 firms (PwC, Deloitte, EY, KPMG, probably a lot of the national firms, too) with just a CPA. that may or may not require a masters degree depending on your state.
>>
>>1038325
t. 18 year old STEMlord shitposter

talk to people in the real world and you'll see how useless a pure mathematics phd is. the only people getting those highly coveted quant jobs are the ones who went to target or top ranking schools for their phd.
>>
>>1038340
>talk to people in the real world and you'll see how useless a pure mathematics phd is.
1) Who said it was a 'pure mathematics' PhD? That's different from a math PhD.
2) Even if it was pure mathematics, there's still jobs in that. Even if we take the purest of the pure math degree and ignore the applied or statistical jobs, you can still take up the jobs that will recruit from people from any degree background (for example, retail) or any numerate degree background (finance, accountancy, etc), and that's even ignoring the doors a PhD opens (research, post-doc work, etc).

The only bad thing about having a math PhD, or in general a PhD in any subject that doesn't do much to boost your employability is that it can overqualify you for some things, but if you wanted any of the jobs that a PhD would overqualify you for, you probably wouldn't have got the PhD in the first place.
>>
>>1032995
Remove Economics from Great Tier... It's a shitty fucking major with poor job prospects.
>>
>>1032995
It's kind of accurate, but also retarded.
Nuclear Engineering and Nursing should be bumped up and Economics and Biology should definitely be bumped down
>>
>>1038812
read the chart, retard. applied math has its own category under 'superb tier phd.' that means the bad tier phd will be applied.

literally no company is going to hire someone with a doctorate in math to do accounting. they have no experience, no understanding of GAAP, no fucking chance of being productive without at least a year of intense study and mentorship. the same applies to finance.

but go ahead and devote 7 years of your life to studying autistic logical constructs. then let me know how your $300k/yr any job you want meme degree works out in the real world.
>>
>>1038834
>guarantees massive income
>ties together the sciences and humanities
>requires Xtreme skillz

fuck off
>>
>>1038882
>read the chart, retard. applied math has its own category under 'superb tier phd.' that means the bad tier phd will be applied.
Did I say applied? There's a difference between mathematics, pure mathematics and applied mathematics.

>literally no company is going to hire someone with a doctorate in math to do accounting. they have no experience, no understanding of GAAP, no fucking chance of being productive without at least a year of intense study and mentorship. the same applies to finance.
You're acting as if only accounting or finance grads get jobs in those areas.
>>
>>1035037
Most low level accounting is getting outsourced to software.
Psychology graduate programs are actually really competitive (too many people signing up because they don't know what else to do) and the bachelors is pretty much useless alone.
>>
>>1033168
>CS
>hard
>>
>>1038923
How naive are you kiddo?
>>
>>1033443
CompE sorta combines CS and EE. You still learn the basics of electronics and pretty much anything you'd need to be an electrical engineer, it just focuses more on the digital side of things, and therefore more programming shit.

CS is literally what it sounds like. Read the first paragraph on wikipedia if you have to.

The two below aren't totally off with IT.

>>1037634
literal retard

>>1037062
Steve Jobs did fuck all that could be considered computer engineering.
>>
>>1038326
A Masters in accounting only takes 1 year and all you do is
1. Network,
2. study the CPA exam,
3. Learn how to Audit/research tax law
This makes it amazing for someone who has no idea what he's doing, and you have over a 90% chance of finding a job from these programs. Totally worth it.

That being said, when I was in my Masters program, undergrads varied from absolute shit journalism degrees to MIS graduates.
>>
>>1032995
Pick what you love to do. I went computers because I enjoy working with them sure I earn less but I laugh at my friends who are doing jobs they hate.
>>
accounting major y/n
>>
>>1039524
Depends on what you want. Accounting isn't for everyone. Here is a breakdown of the industry through my experience (very biased):

Pro's:
-a deep understanding about how businesses/taxes work (depending on which path you choose),
-Many different areas to go into (Audit financials, do taxes - business and individual, Audit IT systems, and hospital compliance like HIPAA just to name a few)
-High employment rate,
in Public Accounting you get:
- lots of connections with individuals who work in big businesses,
-If you make it 5 years in public you make a pretty penny
-Per diem and mileage reimbursements that are like micro bonuses (if you are cheap)
in private Accounting you get:
-a standard, 40 hour a week job

Con's:
-Everyone considers you "boring" or thinks you do taxes (Even if you have never touched taxes in your life besides the CPA Exam)
-You'll never be famous unless you do something really bad
-The CPA Exam is a bitch of a time waster that needs to be done
In Public Accounting you get:
-Shit ton of hours. Big 4 will work you like a dog during busy season to the point where some people quit in tears.
-Travel a lot (may also be a perk)
-Have to be very social and it's very Cliquey
-Mediocre pay for your work the first few years (started at 55K) cause they're training you
In Private Accounting:
-Mediocre pay, especially if you start out, unless you make it to C level or Controller
-You will always be "that guy in accounting"
>>
>>1032995
> Second day of college
> Takes 5 hours to complete a 7 bulletpoint writing.
> I will succeed and improve
>>
>>1032995
>geophysics in god and good tier
trash
>>
>>1039604
what else can you do with a geophysics degree other then oil.

I know some geophysics grads that started of making 130k in Houston
>>
>>1039610
it's in two tiers

geophysics is my background and i get paid a fuckton to look at ocean currents

won't say more or my salary (6 fig)
>>
finance major y/n
>>
How come everyone on every board on 4chan, no mater what board it is, is always a 6 figure earning engineer or computer programmer
>>
>>1037643

What tier would a PhD in Information Systems be? I want to be a business analyst or systems architect.
>>
>>1037643
>physical therapy
>decent

i am in the bay area and physical therapists make 100k a year
>>
>>1039655
you go STEM or you go home
>>
>>1039725
study EE for systems architecture
>>
>>1039717
>everyone suspiciously knows everything
>everyone is making $150k+ out of highschool
they're not real, you and i are the only ones left
>>
>>1032995
>Software Engineer
>Computer Science
What's the difference?
>>
>accounting
>good

Accounting is "I picked the first degree named after a job" tier. They can fuck right off, they're the lowest of the low Excel monkeys. Fact.
>>
Economics or Finance major?

If I go with Econ I will attempt to go to a good graduate school for my masters
>>
>>1039618
I'be been thinking about transfering to OU and switching to Geophysics. (Civil Engineer at a school that doesn't offer it)

I'm legitimately interested in the subject but im unsure on what the job outlook is right now due to the drop in oil. Are there a lot of jobs in non-oil fields?
>>
>>1039797
What makes you want to go into finance?
What career would you even do with the degree?
>>
>>1032995
is this accurate for actuarial science? I can't decide between that and chemical engineering. Top job rankings seem to always rate actuaries really high, and job prospects/salaries for actuaries (at least in Canada) seem to be better than chemical engineers.
>>
>>1033221
Harvard Princeton Yale Stanford M.I.T right?
>>
>>1039840

Harvard and MIT are actually separate schools of the same university.
>>
Why the fuck doesn't anyone want to become a highschool teacher? No one ever considered it.
>>
What degree should an ib failure aim for? Already fell for one meme, don't want to go through another one
>>
>>1039374
i'm enrolling into a masters in accounting program with a bachelors in math. my school's program is 2 years, although i was accepted to a program that could have pushed me through in just 1 year.
>>
I'm finance and acctg double major with mandarin chinese minor

r8 my future
>>
File: I'm a maths undergrad.png (56KB, 706x1106px) Image search: [Google]
I'm a maths undergrad.png
56KB, 706x1106px
>>1039826
>is this accurate for actuarial science? I can't decide between that and chemical engineering. Top job rankings seem to always rate actuaries really high, and job prospects/salaries for actuaries (at least in Canada) seem to be better than chemical engineers.
I can't speak for Canada, but I think actuarial work is so fucking good that I'm planning to do it even as a maths student. As far as I'm aware Chem Eng is oversaturated although I'd be wary of that claim without any proof - people always claim shit is oversaturated.

If you're interested, pic related is what I've wrote down as the pros/cons of actuarial work in the UK.
>>
>>1039888
>Why the fuck doesn't anyone want to become a highschool teacher? No one ever considered it.
1) Minimal chance of promotion, and hence bad pay. Why do you think teachers strike all the time?

2) You have to spend even more years at college/uni getting qualified to teach, which is time you could’ve spent working and therefore potentially getting promoted.

3) Teachers get blamed when the kids do anything bad.

4) Even if teaching is your passion, I’ve heard that a lot of a teacher’s job turns out to be paperwork/admin.

5) The only time you have off is the peak holidays, it’d be a nightmare to even schedule a doctor’s appointment.
>>
>>1033495
Wait, did your friend graduate from some prestigious college/university? How far in his education did he go? How well did he do?

I'm genuinely curious, since I have been looking at electrical engineering for a while.
>>
>>1033443
Computer Engineer: Builds and keeps computers, from PCs to large servers, running without error. Good at software and Hardware.
Computer Science: Excels on Software. Makes computers do fancy shit.
IT: Makes Computers communicate data efficiently and quietly.
>>
>>1039933
where's the pic from

is there a longer one of these
>>
File: 0942 - yfkczTj.jpg (52KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
0942 - yfkczTj.jpg
52KB, 499x499px
>be a 2nd psych Bsc student
>enjoy it but worried about prospects
>friend on an economics course tells me about banking
>read some introductory books on banking, seems cool
Obviously that's not the full story but is this a totally retarded aspiration considering I'm currently in a degree that supposedly doesn't get "decent" until PhD level
>>
>>1040265
>where's the pic from
It's my own creation, I've got a document that I regularly update whenever I find out new shit about my potential careers as a maths undergrad. Why? Do you think I've done a good job?

I suppose I could screenshot the whole thing or something, if you want.
>>
>>1039931
good
>>
>>1039796

>This is what retards actually believe

Accounting goes beyond putting numbers in Quickbooks, bubba.
>>
>>1037643
Tfw When my major Agricultural Economics is great tier I'm OK with this
>>
Statistics is literally jewology.
>>
>>1033443
doing compE next year

smart move in terms of jobs?
>>
>>1037643
thats bullshit
commerce/business graduates land accounting at big 4's and go to investment banks. Atleast where I am from anyway.
>>
>>1037643
Why the fuck is accounting so high up, seems like the perfect career path to have a midlife crisis and kill myself
>>
>>1038260
Debating doing aero, whats it like? What do you do?
>>
>>1042011

Extremely flexible degree and you can literally do anything with it. A lot of federal jobs look favorably at accounting majors, the FBI in particular.
>>
The love/hate relationship /biz/ has with Econ is interesting to me. For what it's worth I got hired from an okay state school 6+ months before I graduated to work for Bloomberg in London. Econ is good as long as you are willing to take the hard, stats based electives IMO
>>
>>1043065
>The love/hate relationship /biz/ has with Econ is interesting to me
Same here.
>>
>>1033184
it depends what you want to do in finance
if you don't need to know the arcane specifications of tax codes and other boring nonsense shit taught in finance, then an engineer or research field is more useful (for backroom stuff). Front room is all just networking, then the middle end stuff can go to anyone who can understand the back room people and also understands technical finance stuff
>>
>>1036585

Depends on the institution. Research universities with a larger grad than undergrad body don't inflate their grades and the expected GPA is lowered as long as the recruiter is even semi-aware of the schools rep.

My mom's boyfriend is the head of HR for one of Chicago's big firms. This is his opinion on the matter, not mine. We were discussing the topic over the holidays and its still fresh on my mind. I can pass questions along to him pretty easy if you want straight no nonsense answers.
>>
>>1036153
>Not paramedic

Get out of here scrub
>>
>>1037643
this image is even worse than the original
you can tell whoever made this has a major in the "good tier" because it makes it sound like that tier is better than "great tier" and calls them all betas

there's no such thing as a $250k starting salary
no one is going to pay you that much if you've been in school for eight years and have zero experience, those with higher education also have to be compensated more because of the cost of their education
$150k is also a stretch even in the highest CoL areas

ME's and AE's do not make more money than EE
>>
>>1032995
>Criminal justice anything other than a terrible terrible major that's mostly just offered at for profit universities
>Accounting in the same tier as vet tech, microbiology, and criminal justice and law
>>
>>1033159
This. Brother just graduated with business and financing and is having a hard time finding a job, a lot of these places want you to have work experience too
>>
>>1039026
Sorry, yep. This guy is right.

A trade is best and often actually overtakes people with degrees if you set up your own business.
>>1035065

I guess you could, however, I was worried that my job would be outsourced.
>>
>>1037251
Don't through your life away. You can set up and manage a business with no entrepreneur degree or diploma. No business owners had to, what business owners did is that they did a degree which interested them and is actually useful (and safe) in getting a job. For example, engineering and then setting up your own engineering firm, accounting and making your way up the corporate ladder to make connections and convince people to become a partner.

Your degree is worth less and teaches you less than most other degrees, don't do it. Get a business degree instead if u are set on doing that.
>>
>>1032995
>Computer
>Aerospace
>Electrical
Above chemical
Yeah right buddy
>>
>MIS major y/n
>>
>history
>shit tier
>goldman sachs internship
kek
prestige of school > major
>>
File: collegeIQ.jpg (109KB, 925x658px) Image search: [Google]
collegeIQ.jpg
109KB, 925x658px
Just gonna leave this here
>>
>>1045902
>those shitty verbal SAT
Fuck, are all those engineers really that shitty? I got a 640 and considered that mediocre. Fuck. Why couldn't have i've been naturally better at math. I got a fucking 550. Fuck. I wish i was autistically good a math. fuck. reading and english are such shit tier and useless skills.
>>
>>1045976
im the exact say way anon. and i felt the same way for a long time before i realized i can use those skills to network and socialize with people, which lands me way more opportunities than some aspie.
>>
File: 1451023423523.jpg (47KB, 800x440px) Image search: [Google]
1451023423523.jpg
47KB, 800x440px
>Tfw going against the opinions of lots of people I know to study marketing instead of finance

I want the constant change of scenery marketing provides. I love bettering my own personal finances but I would probably kill myself if I had to do it for someone else all day every day.
>>
>>1045980
2bh i don't even have good social skills. i'm just toughing it out and trying my best in Econ. I took calc 1 which is all thats required, and i barely survived. (after having to start at college algebra and then taking pre-calculus). Thankfully at least statistics is a bit easier, although even that has been a challenge. I find Economics really interesting at least, because if i didn't i would have commited sodoku by now. Without Econ I really would be fucked. Honestly can't think of another major i'd even be able to even do that would have at least solid future job prospects. Math truly is the most important skill in regards to getting ahead in life and getting a valuable degree.
>>
>>1045994
stats << remotely challenging.
>>
>>1033168
>cs
>god tier

are you from 2005
>>
>>1045981
I just want to work in that comfy loft with a bunch of hipsters where I can work on my computer and make copy or design fonts on Illustrator, ride on a scooter, have meetings with 'creative' in a spacious conference room with comfy chairs, talking to Google and spending nights with thirtysomething professionals getting crazy drunk and going home with a 7/10 ugly model. Something like that.
>>
>>1032995

I have a masters in psychology and make 70k/year so I feel like it should be in good tier.
>>
>>1046037
What do you do?
>a very nervous psychology undergrad
>>
IT isn't that bad if you live near or in major cities, to be honest.

That guy who said that it has a salary cap of 50k is completely wrong (unless you're a helpdesk monkey).

Currently making 80k as a network consultant. Based off of some recent interviews, I could easily pull 110k+ if I wanted to work in the city as opposed to the suburbs.
>>
>>1039798
As Geophysicist with just my bachelors I would say that there are better options out there. I'm working in an analyst type role right now but all of my buddies literally don't have jobs. Now everybody is going back for masters and PhD so the market is going to be absolutely saturated with over qualified new grads applying for entry level positions
>>
WHAT BRANCH OF ACCOUNTING DO I GO INTO FOR MONEY
TAX - Been told to avoid
MANAGERIAL/COST - Been told not a lot of career progression
FINANCIAL - All I hear is how I'll be overloaded with work
AUDIT - Leaning this way atm
SYSTEMS - Wtf even is this

PLEASE HELP
>>
>>1046353
Whichever one makes you the most susceptible to being replaced by a cuckbot
>>
>>1046333

I live in a major tech hub, it's that bad. There's so much competition you often see seasoned IT people fighting over entry level positions and consequently employers are forced to up their minimum requirements on positions.
>>
File: goodstuffbro.jpg (66KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
goodstuffbro.jpg
66KB, 800x532px
>>1045980
oh really

tell me about all your fabulous opportunities
>>
>>1033159
> tfw first job in corporate banking
>>
I majored in mathematics.
How can I make money with this?

What types of jobs could I get, really?
>>
>>1046353
Don't think like that for Accounting. Think Public or Private accounting. The answer is to go for Public Accounting and concentrate in an area you want to specialize in. The key is to specialize in a certain field of accounting, making you an expert. Once you're in the workforce, try and steer yourself towards jobs that will make you a specialist in an area, making you invaluable and worth a shit ton to keep.

Most Public Accounting firms will not care what you specialize in at school. They'll just use it as a talking point in your interview to understand what you want to do and where they should put you.

Choose audit if you like traveling. This side of accounting attracts more alphas since it is more client based.

Choose tax if you really like researching tax code and sitting at your desk, although sometimes you will travel. Since most people use software to do taxes, you research the more complex areas of tax.

Consulting is a lot more broad and requires a little more experience than tax or audit. For the most part, clients pay your firm to use you as a temp staff for their special projects. IT Audit and Compliance also falls into this category. IT Audit is "systems". In IT audit, you just use your knowledge of IT and controls to make sure no one can hack in or maliciously alter data. It pays slightly more than regular audit, mainly because people who know IT go into industry since IT audit is something know one knows about.
>>
>>1046541
>know one
wow, i meant no one. I'm an idiot.
>>
File: 1426710483037.jpg (78KB, 600x899px) Image search: [Google]
1426710483037.jpg
78KB, 600x899px
Going to be graduating as a geologist into the worst commodity market in years.

Luckily, I have a minor in GIS and geo-statistical work so hopefully I can find work in resource analysis or environmental monitoring for consulting type work.
>>
>>1046012
yeah yeah fuck off. everyones different. i'm still going to succeed because i'm going to put the work in
>>
>>1046541
Live in a small area where public is out of the question (you need to be mad connected). I can do any of those privately then move to public in the future. I'd say 2-3 years whilst I pass my countries exams (1/2 way through). What would you recommend?
>>
>>1046316

I work in a hospital as a counselor. I'll tell you right now if you want a job in psychology field you will need a masters. Preferably a PhD (which makes you more money too).
>>
Taking a biology bachelors and then into medschool with internships

Is biology just the loser version of biology of medicine or biochemistry?
>>
>>1046492
Seriously can someone answer my question please?

What can I do with a math degree? Why is it so high on the chart?

It's always on top and I have absolutely no idea how I'm supposed to make any money at all doing this. Please explain, anyone.
>>
>>1046740

High school math teacher.

If masters, community college instructor.

If PhD, university professor.

If you have groundbreaking theories, are a genius, etc. Military/government (NSA code shit,etc).
>>
>>1046627
It depends on where you're at and what you are good at. I'd still try to get into Public because once you are out of College, you hurt your chances of getting into it. Also, try to avoid government at all cost. The running joke in Public is that 10 years in government = 1 year in the real world.

Here is a salary guide if you want to plan (Amerifat guide): https://www.roberthalf.com/sites/default/files/Media_Root/images/at-pdfs/robert_half_2016_salary_guide.pdf

If I had to rate the concentrations, I'd say the following:

Financial: a solid, generic choice. Don't expect to stand out too much

Audit: Less numbers, more critical thinking. Great for learning how to audit. Between audit and tax, audit will pay more, but is more demanding. First few years you're counting money/inventory which is boring, but it picks up once you're manager.

Tax: I personally don't like tax, but that's just me. All older people in Tax i've seen have been well off. Depending on the area you could do fairly well.

Managerial/Cost: Lol, no. This is the easy choice (at least where i'm at) made for those people who will be in private accounting for the rest of your life.

Systems: Unless you are doing IT Audit or have a school that teaches ERP systems, not very helpful. You mainly take IT classes with the IT management students. It's harder to get into this field for internal because it's a lot smaller. Most small businesses don't have a complex IT system to require an IT internal Auditor and most the time they hire Public Accounting firms to do that part of it. That being said, it pays more and a good way to get into Public and differentiate yourself from the crowd.
>>
>>1046747
>High school math teacher
Right.
Why is this "God tier" then?

Because it's always, without fail, listed at "god tier" in these charts and nobody ever seems to be able to explain why.
>>
>>1046757

Because it isn't god tier and autists make these charts. If you chose your major based on a chart like this, you're an idiot.
>>
>>1046815
I chose it because I loved doing math and I wanted to become a professor one day. I loved teaching and thought I would love to research.

I've since then, a few years later now and about to graduate, taken up other interests, including actuarial science, and no longer have any desire to go to graduate school for math and such.

And so I want to know what my prospects are for getting a job, any job, that will pay the bills while I keep on studying actuarial science. An analyst or consultant are also both highly appealing to me, but I need more work and more than likely more education before I have any shot at breaking into those careers.
>>
>>1039358
literal neet retard

CompE is literally the get my PC to work low wage cucks

Enjoy your degree remorse fucking moron
>>
Give me one good reason not to become a business analyst.
>>
>>1046841
>I've since then, a few years later now and about to graduate, taken up other interests, including actuarial science, and no longer have any desire to go to graduate school for math and such.
Then just get a job as an actuary and do the exams while you work, failing that, do 2 or 3 exams asap and then get work as an actuary.

Also, mathematics is rarely listed as God tier, it's usually good/great tier.
>>
Why are you guys criticisng CompE so much?
What's wrong with it?

Wouldn't it be a very useful degree to have for the future?
>>
>>1043065
this, one person telling me im smart for my choice and the next telling me i fucked myself.

yolo i guess? I like econ anyway so if it turns out useless i can just pretend i did it as a passion.
>>
>>1039933
always had an interest in it. Been working in insurance for loss adjusters, insurer claims dept, brokers and now managing claims for an insurance brokerage.

Even through the above list i've had pretty good pay increases, but it's still 1/5th of a successful insurance broker or actuary.
>>
>>1046353
in australia,
TAX
and anything that could make you a CFO of a company
>>
I've got like three majors i can pick for my masters (I live in South Korea). Should I go for International Business, International Trade, or International Finance?

I speak Korean and English so I'd be able to work at a company using both languages; but I'd like to know what major would give me the most opportunity.
>>
>>1047275
>CompE is literally the get my PC to work low wage cucks

Teenager detected.

What are VLSI, embedded systems, FPGAs, DSP, Comp Architecture, Communications Systems, Automation, Robotics, Signal Processing, Control Theory, and the multitude of other fields that are a natural progression of CompE.

DESU you can make a CS degree very CompE oriented or vice versa. But the core difference is that CompE gets more rigorous math, physics, and electrical groundwork.
>>
top zoz im doing forensic computing , looking forward to never using my degree
>>
Was thinking of doing accounting yes or no?
>>
>>1047804
No, bad idea unless you want to be the ultimate wage cuck.
>>
>>1032995

just throwing this out there, but in the US the Average Lawyer makes significantly more than the average engineer. Like 40k more than electrical engineers.
>>
US MD student here. I'm hoping to make $350,000 per year after residency as a radiologist
>>
>>1047400
CompE gets shit because EE guys feel threatened and CS guys think it's a bigger meme degree than EE.
>t. CS grad
>>
>>1043065
>>1044153
If I'm taking the harder econometrics courses and helping professors with some research at a meh tier school, will I have a chance at being employable at a decent company as an econ major? Also I live in New York City if that make a major like this better than if I was in the middle of Nebraska.
>>
>>1047808
So what would make me not a wage cuck? Economics, finance, math?
>>
>>1047841
Is that it?
Tomorrow I pick my majors (for an engineering degree) and I have decided to do compE it just made me wonder why all these people were criticising it.
>>
>>1048129
having lots of money from your parents is the only way to avoid being a wage cuck at a young age. After like 5 years of working, then you could cover your living expenses then not HAVE to be a wage cuck although must become vacuous consumerists who turn themselves into wagecucks by wasting their lives working 80% of the time and enjoying 20% at best. The only way to avoid wage cuckery is to become stoic and be happy with the loaf of bread and library and free time that you can enjoy for the entirety of your life.
>>
>>1049241
>The only way to avoid wage cuckery is to become stoic and be happy with the loaf of bread and library and free time that you can enjoy for the entirety of your life.
And how do you get this bread?
>>
Does anyone else feel like the oversaturation of university has ruined it?

I really wanted to be a just lawyer, and eventually a judge. Not for pay, or for pride or privilege, but to distribute justice.

Seems the only choices now are between CS, Math or Engineering.
>>
>>1032995
Humanities and foreign languages coupled with more technical stuff is GodMode.
>>
>>1050568
lol
>>
>>1050599
You do know that there's a lot of places that's not-Burgerdonia?
>>
>>1034681
You can do law, move out of the big cities where it's a bloodbath just to be a coffee collecting dry cleaning organizing intern and go into general practice.

Family Law (with post grad) will financially set you bruh. Money wise you'll be /comfy/ but you may be alone for a while because you can't wrap your head around what people will do to one another.
>>
Is getting a master degree in math-economics a good idea?

I'm a huge math whore and I love money.
>>
>>1051117
What job do you plan to use the degree for?
What college would you go? Your GPA?
>>
>>1051286
Most likely Economist, but I will have my eyes open for opportunities.

Copenhagen University.
>>
File: 1423383083446.jpg (139KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1423383083446.jpg
139KB, 1920x1080px
Is going for a Quantitative Social Science degree worth it? My other choice is Economics.
>>
>>1051447
better go to ucla boi
>>
>>1051536
>Quantitative Social Science

Dry water.
>>
>>1046481
lol this jr. analyst actually thinks hes a banker!
>>
>>1050539
steal and pillage from nuns. There's not as many as in medieval times but since there's not may vikings these days the supply of nuns is high
>>
>>1052418
Implying there's very little I can do with it?
>>
considering commerce somebody advise me is this a good choice or not
>>
>>1053311
I think what he said went over your head.

He is pointing out the juxtaposition of your degree.

>Quantitative
>Social Science

Pick one
>>
>>1042015
Shit. The industry is 40 years behind automotive.

Aero eng on flight test a/c
>>
>>1042015
do aero if you 100% want a job in aero and love it.

do mech if you have a affinity to aerospace but want job prospect in other industries. (take Aero classes)

I am a systems engineer (lot of aeros end up with systems jobs these days to start out with).

I would do mech/ee under grad, aero MS.

but if you are truly passionate about AEROSPACE, do it. it is unbelievable about how awesome it is to feel that you know about some of the coolest "rocket science" mechanics
>>
File: FB_IMG_1452534864239.jpg (156KB, 1245x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1452534864239.jpg
156KB, 1245x960px
Graduating with a ba of economics with the math courses required to get my masters since my uni offered no bs of economics

I am also bilingual (having refined it by taking multiple courses in spanish)

Is there anyway i can pull a decent job 50k+ that is out of state without doing my masters first? Even willing to go to a comfy country.
>>
>>1037643

>Law
>Worthless tier

You just got no idea how much a JD make in BigLaw with the right specialty (finance, labour, tax...), do you ? Fucking STEM.
>>
>>1054026
I can't speak for America, but in the UK, I'd rate law pretty low. To get a law job, you've got to go through uni, then an extra course lasting something like 2 years, and then get a training contract, and at any stage in this process, you can fail, wasting time and money... and then there's the stress of actually being a lawyer if you do succeed.
>>
>>1032995

Psychology is deceptive. If you stop at the undergrad level you're looking at a lifetime working retail or fast food. Being a professional baby sitter for special needs kids and criminals at best. If you go on the PhD level (which is doable if you're patient and intelligent) and there is a good amount of money in the research field right now. I'm in a PhD program in clinical psychology right now studying mechanisms of reinforcement in ADHD, and in nicotine addiction. The handful of people in my lab who have finished internship all had starting salaries of 70-80+ thousand per year (though granted this required an extra 5-7 years of making a shit stipend, which is what I'm on now). A friend of mine from undergrad did his BA in psychology and now manages retail. Another friend got his BS in psychology and now makes 50k as a research technician at a place that studies addiction. It's such a mixed bag of a major because it's an intersection of STEM and the soft sciences.
>>
>>1055055
>because it's an intersection of STEM and the soft sciences.

You were doing so well up to here.

There's no STEM in psychology. Don't kid yourself.
>>
>>1055132

Biopsychology programs have their place within psych. departments, neuroscience graduate students are often psych undergrads, and research in psychology follows all of the requirements of what constitutes good science, up to and including objectively falsifiable hypotheses. That said, there's plenty of pseudoscience in the field as well. Like I said, an intersection.
>>
>>1055136

What's the replicability rate of neuroscience? Something like less than 50%? Stop trying to put yourself on a pedestal by telling yourself you're STEM. All the ones doing actual science in neuroscience come from pure physics, chemistry or biology backgrounds anyway, not fucking feelchology.
>>
>>1055132

Take a look at this retard. There are quite a few neuroscience and neuropharm programs housed within university psychology departments. Psychology is very much at the conflux of soft sociology type work and legitimate STEM research.

[spoiler] I'm a microbiologist so I don't give two shits about psych people. It's true though. [/spoiler]
>>
>>1055144
>There are quite a few neuroscience and neuropharm programs housed within university psychology departments

Whoopdeefuckingdoo. Some administrators put the bulls and the sheep in the same yard. That means all sheep are bulls guys!

I seriously doubt that you're a microbiologist if you're this incapable of elementary critical thinking.
>>
>>1037643
No dude... Horticulture is neither forestry or agriculture. It is 45 - 60k

try again
>>
>>1055147

Psychology is the study of the mind which means that it inherently encompasses a wide range of topics ranging from cognition and emotional processing to ways in which cardiovascular health intersects with neurodegenerative disorders. It's a huge field that has many potential sub-disciplines some of which are hard and some of which are soft. Just because you've chosen to arbitrarily delineate it as just the fields you dislike doesn't mean that is how everyone views it nor does it mean that your view is an accurate reflection of reality.

And wow man, I've had my academic credentials called into question by a shitposter on /biz/. Guess I'll just stop doing research now.
>>
On that computer science bachelor then job hop till 120k plan

Feels nice that companies will always need me
>>
>>1046021
lol, are you a web dev?
>>
>>1055046

Any high position job is stressing, especially if it delivers the shekels. As for the harsh road to get to the job, well, no pain no gain;
>>
File: College vs Trade School.png (91KB, 500x650px) Image search: [Google]
College vs Trade School.png
91KB, 500x650px
> mathematics is god tier
> Computer Engineer is Unbelievable tier
> Transportation is shit tier

This list is so silly it makes Bugs Bunny cringe. I worked in a college and know mathematics doctorate graduates, transportation degree holders, and "Computer Science" grads alike.

CS is bullshit. 90% of people take it thinking they'll get all the cash but, frankly, everyone has that degree so it's worthless. Go to a trade school, get your certifications, and make a portfolio on your own: DO NOT DO COLLEGE. Otherwise get your CS degree and work at Mcdonalds or scramble for scraps as a startup company because that's where almost all CS grads end up.

My best friend is a doctor of mathematics with a NASA pedigree. His dad and grandfather are still NASA and he interned there. Guess what? He's teaching because everywhere else was full and turning folks away because dads and grand dads are still in the positions. Math doesn't get you as much as people think as you're pretty much waiting for people to die so you can get in. Good luck with that.

And then there's my pal Elliot who everyone laughed at for being a bus driver. He got his degree and keeps his certifications up to date with bi-yearly retraining. Elliot makes 40k a year off four hours of work five days a week. He invested his spare cash and runs a local comic shop in his spare time; something done out of love because he's a huge nerd. He owns three houses and rents two of them. He has a trophy wife. Now who's laughing?

> The list sucks
Attaching a better one from personal experience.
>>
Chemical engineering student in their last semester here. Don't fall for the memes biz, the money isn't worth it. Just do something you enjoy, even art. I fucking regret every second I spend on this soul-sucking degree. Only a soulless robot, a pathetically boring human being could enjoy this shit. I'm currently trying to learn how to into art so I can eventually make my way out of this hellhole of a career. Don't make the same FUCKING mistake I did, please don't listen to the STEM sociopaths.
>>
>>1055217
>law not oversaturated
>"social work" named twice and at all relevant
>mention Air Force as best
>avoid mentioning Marines

There's likely more that is wrong about this "improved chart", but I don't really care to go on.
>>
>>1055384
Marines are a special branch of the Navy. Social work is relevant especially with the exploding poor classes and weakening middle class. I almost joined the military and talked with the recruiter: Air force is hardest to get into and the highest "ranked" to employers.

Law depends on what law you get into. Judges, for example, are still in need. Mix law with social work and you'll easily find a job.
>>
File: College vs Trade School.png (94KB, 500x650px) Image search: [Google]
College vs Trade School.png
94KB, 500x650px
>>1055384
Also fixed the double wording and updated the "slim pickings" list a little. Slim pickings means that the jobs are there, they just are harder to get into, low turnover, high competition, in larger cities only, or otherwise more limited which will make finding work tougher. Who cares how much it pays if you can't get hired.
>>
>>1050650
You will make bank if you go into IP law also.
>>
>>1032995

Where would Information Systems fall on that chart?
>>
Experience, real work skills, contacts within your field are what matters. Nobody gives a shit about your degree unless your some rich elite from Harvard, MIT, etc.
>>
>>1032995
They're all shit tier. Internships is good tier. Experience is great. Connections is god tier.
>>
>>1046740
Can you code?

Tons of shit to do with a math degree, you can work for financial institutions, if you are good at cryptography you can do security for large companies, you can model certain viruses or cells for pharmaceutical companies, you can work for the government or military.
>>
>>1045981
Thank you.
>>
File: 1444066731891.jpg (86KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1444066731891.jpg
86KB, 640x480px
what about Manufacturing Engineering Technicians?
>>
>>1055217
>>1055451
>Anything ending on -ology is in the same tier as engineering and mathematics.
>Sociology is in the same tier as mathematics and engineering.
>>
>>1033184
How much longer is this meme gonna be around
>>
>>1056935
Honestly, you'll be getting you're dick sucked for the next decade if you go into aerospace
>>
>>1057175
*your

Goddamn it
>>
>>1033004
but without knowing about chemical bonding (among many other things) from my chemistry degree the things I do at work wouldn't make any sense and I wouldn't be able to do my job.
>>
>>1055451
How come anytbing with computers is in the oversaturated by engineers are better

Where does computer engineering fall in?
>>
>>1053522
Yes if u go to a great school for it
If not, couple it with another useful degree such as engineering, law etx

Even if u don't want to work in engineering or as a lawyer do it if u can because employees will pick u over a single degree guy. E.g investment banks hirw engineer/commerce guys because they don't doubt the engineers quantitative and math skills
>>
>>1057725
>How come anytbing with computers is in the oversaturated by engineers are better
What?
>>
Human resources.
>>
>>1035463
Under $100 combined is barely livable
>>
>>1032995

I'm doing business studies in September but be never done business before, it's scary
>>
>>1055217
>putting CS in same league as Women's Studies.
This list is pretty laughable desu, more so than any other list in this thread
>>
>>1060793
What do people even do with Women's Studies anyway?
>>
>>1033181
I'm transferring from LSU to UMASS Amherst because it's a target for GS. Wish me luck
>>
Why do people even entertain taking theater classes much less getting degrees in it?

>gotta follow muh unemployable dreams!
>>
>>1032995

If you want to be an ATC why are you not going for the universal ATC degree of Aerospace engineering?
>>
>>1055231
>not doing STEM because you sincerely enjoy it

This is where you fucked up
>>
>>1062386

If everyone did what they enjoy the number of STEM majors would be like .01% of the graduating population.
>>
>>1047580
except that it doesnt. Most are just intro's on most of those and they end up reformatting a pc and installing XP.

You'll see kid, comp eng is next to worthless
>>
>>1055571
would also like to know
>>
>>1037643
Lol who the fuck wrote this when "Good tier" sounds better than "Great tier"
>>
File: this shit again.jpg (1MB, 2100x1378px) Image search: [Google]
this shit again.jpg
1MB, 2100x1378px
Not even vaguely. Of the nine bachelors degrees most likely to propel you to six figures during your career the top ones are not on top of that list, and a few of them are listed at the bottom or middle.
>>
>>1062478
>the bottom or middle.

You're referring to Political Science, business management and law, right?
>>
>>1063147
>
political science is highly sought after for jobs where dealing with people is vital. I do it as part of my joint degree, and it's pretty easy, very enjoyable and teaches much more than you'd imagine. Saying that though, if you don't enjoy it as much as I do (it's already your passion) then i'd advise against it.

I know lots of international relations graduates (poli science in UK) and they've got good mainly managerial jobs.

People have a love/hate relationship with econ and poli science and studying them, I see why. The people on the course are some of the most intelligent people i've met, compared to the others but strangely it's not too hard to get a good mark (if you're passionate).

It truly is one of them degrees where if they enjoy it, you'll truly love the academic work and the work afterwards but if you don't then it's probably not worthwhile.

So whilst it has similar prospects to Law (not UK, that's bad-ish) it's no where near women's studies although most people (pol/biz) think it's similar in nature and therefore must be similar in content or character to women's studies but it couldn't be further from the truth
>>
>>1032995
Your major doesn't define you. It should come naturally.

1. Take some things you love
2. Converge to find a middle point and to choose a major
3. Throughout your studies, be devoted (learn everyday, practice in your field as much as possible). Devotion is the key to the success

and that's it.

When I was 18, I played in a band, I loved movies and videogames. My middle point was audio engineering - now I'm working as a sound designer, absolutely loving every day of my job.

My friends who were using pictures like this one or thinking too much about their majors ended up without money and/or working in a totally different field than their major and/or miserable.

Make life your bitch and you're golden.
>>
>>1037642
Same, that's why I laugh when I see finance above Econ.
>>
>>1063685
So where does that place Econ relevant to stuff like maths or stats?
>>
>>1063655
>tfw this advice leads me to a meme field
I like math, I like computers, I want to be a desk jockey. muh options are: accounting, data science, actuary.
Can anyone else who is pursuing the dosh, just leave us autist alone in our field.
>>
>>1032995
entrepreneur
one above all
>>
>>1065367
Applied math>Stats>Econ>Pure math
>>
>>1045563
accounting is better than those right senpai
>>
>>1035030
And lots of people in the job market for this positions, that's the trade off. The harder the major, the less people there are to hire, which is why they are paid more.
>>
>>1037643
>Law in worthless tier
why even bother putting a chart up
Thread posts: 298
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.