[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is STEM just a meme? I'm majoring in Stats and possibly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

File: data-scientist.jpg (141KB, 1197x680px) Image search: [Google]
data-scientist.jpg
141KB, 1197x680px
Is STEM just a meme?

I'm majoring in Stats and possibly Comp Sci right now and I'm afraid that Pajeet and Yang will take my job when I graduate in 2018.
>>
>>1021254
Not at all, but you're committing to a lifetime of dealing with your predecessors' shit code and collaborating with yang who can barely speak English
>>
Are you white? Are you not autistic? If yes to both questions, stay in comp sci but concentrate on networking. Stats is kind of a nebulous hard to market as a skill in the undergrad level. Learn econometrics if you want to do an applicable stats-based skill. In general you want to learn hard skills such as accounting or coding.
>>
outsorucing is only good for little jobs,no risk until companies fully adjust their workflow with outsourcing
>>
Listen. With the exception of a single Engineering school in India virtually no college level academic institutions in Asia, including Japan, have any credibility. A degree from a Western University, any Western University, is solid gold. It's good anywhere. Particularly in STEM.
>>
>>1021294
You're saying even a random University in Canada could beat a prestigious University in Japan?
>>
>>1021307

Yeah dude. Listen. Japs slack off in college. They work hard as fuck in high school, but in higher education they slack off. That's why so many nips come over to colleges in America.
>>
>>1021269
it's amazing the level of bad advice people give here

stats/csci are the primary skills for data and analytics, which is basically the hottest field right now and will be for the next decade

and if you speak english well, you can get any job you want, because have to job is explaining your analysis to dumbshit managers
>>
>>1021254
Pajeet and Yang will only take your job if you are too stupid to manage them and look down on them as is your duty as a white man. In which case you really aren't white and might as well kill yourself you manlet shit
>>
Yes. STEM has become over saturated. Recently, electrical engineers will have zero job growth this year. Anyone good in STEM work in finance as quants.
>>
>>1021254
Pajeet and Yang are generally worthless lazy bums and many companies are starting to realize that. They work cheap but they don't do shit. I have never heard of an offshore team that people respected for its quality, speed, or diligence. If Pajeet and Yang were really any good a company would be sponsoring them to work in whatever western country you are in or they'll be graduating from your college along with you.

That doesn't mean your job is immune to off-shoring. Sometimes the allure of cheap labor makes companies do stupid things, but there will always be other companies realizing that offshoring is a meme and hiring where you are.
>>
ITT Pajeet and Yang reject an awkward white classmate
>>
Juan and Pedro are gonna take your job instead
Mexicans are mean programmers and they work for cheaper, yet they aren't shit tier level like indians.
>>
I'm about to graduate with a M.Sc. in Chemistry and yes, it's a meme. Basically in your dad's generation it was big money, but nobody went into it because there was easier money elsewhere in a booming economy. So dad told everyone to get into STEM, it'll be good money, and now it's over saturated just like any other field.

I'm not even sure what I'll do. I'm at a good uni with good grades at least, I'll probably land a job but I really wish I'd just learned a trade and started my own company...
>>
>>1021548
When I got my physics degree people told me all the time it would be easy for me to find a job and make 100k starting. Then I spent 3 years working shit jobs. Doesn't help when HR people don't know what physics is and don't think you are qualified for engineering jobs.
>>
>>1021552
what jobs did you work? where they at least somewhat related?

I'm hoping to get into a management position somehow, not starting but maybe after 2-3 years. My most likely entry level position is some analysis position. Otherwise I'll become a teacher, it seems pretty comfy. I'm really hoping to get around doing a PhD, did you get one?
>>
>>1021269
"coding"

>2016, this maymay stil strong...
>>
>>1021560
I worked QC at a shitshow place that made nutritional supplements, a sawmill, and seasonal work with UPS. Nothing related.

Then I went to the oilfield and got an engineering job.

No grad school, I got burned out by quantum getting my bachelors.
>>
>>1021564
Well that would be the issue then.

Honestly, a degree in science is only worth it to do research. Which requires a PhD.
>>
>>1021570
do research where? academia is basically working 60 hours a week for minimum wage.
>>
>>1021570
It think it has been very useful in actually doing my job. The problem is that is hard to convince the people in charge of hiring of this.
>>
>>1021254
Pajeet and Yang don't know shit about English language and have many flaws, often write shittier code as well.

>>1021347
Be attractive, likeable, speak the native language of your country and don't come across as a lazy foreigner and you shouldn't really have that much problems finding a job on level.

Some managers are dumbshit, interviews are dumbshit I've overheard a retard a while ago who judges the people he interviews by how they park their cars. Huge facepalm. It just shows you don't need a skill to get in a high position just good connections and a bit of luck.

>>1021572
>>1021570
Nah teaching and researching at universities pays off pretty well but its just grueling because you sometimes have 80 hour workweeks.

Much better to settle for an easier 36 hour a week job that pays a little lower (36 hours is full time in my country).
>>
>>1021570
Hmm not really the degree he did is pretty broad.

Not sure how he ended up working shitjobs for 3 years maybe he just lives in an unfortunate location? Can be many things.

Its pretty weird almost every university student I knew got a job on level after at least half a year yet when I go to internet I read these stories of people working 1-4 years a job severely beneath their level.
>>
>>1021254

They have been screaming outsourcing since 2003 when I was in engineering school. The companies that fell for the meme compromised their work and data. Indians are only useful for simple clerical processes that companies can't or don't feel like rationalizing for automation.
>>
>>1021547
That's True thought, went to the Oracle Development Center in Guadalajara in Mexico, and the presentation guy explained why they selected Mexico; The same time zone, better speaking english and they could outsource the same work from the USA to Mexico and pay cheap and maintenance is much cheaper for the building and shit,
>>
>>1021254
Yes
>>
>>1021315
South Koreans, too. I had a Korean professor who was fucking amazed at the academic effort of students at a big public university. he basically said the majority of college students in South Korea just party and fuck around.
>>
>>1021269
>Stats is kind of a nebulous hard to market as a skill in the undergrad level.
Source?

I'm a maths student, I'm planning to do lots of stats and pursue actuarial work.
>>
>>1023116
Anyone?
>>
I honestly fucking despise the Chinese. Awful, pushy, rude subhumans. Disgusting creatures allergic to speaking English. The whole place should be nuked and finished off with biological weapons.
>>
>>1024732
search for stats job, most require a masters or phd. If you are going into actuary why not do actuarial science? Nothing wrong with actuary, but it is being shilled to any major that has any math skill.
>>1021347
>stats/csci are the primary skills for data and analytics
You don't need to study stats, they teach competent comp sci majors the skills on the job. Don't pigeonhole your career. You don't want to end up like people who have only a bachelor's in science or math.
>>
>>1024823
>If you are going into actuary why not do actuarial science?
For the same reason that you've recommended not studying stats, I'd rather have a more general degree that's just about as good as actuarial science for actuarial jobs than have an actuarial science degree which isn't as good as a maths degree for non-actuarial jobs.

> but it is being shilled to any major that has any math skill.
Source? A lot of maths students I've asked often didn't even know that actuarial work was a thing.
>>
>>1021791
Bachelor's in Physics doesn't qualify you to do shit unless it's supplemented with programming or serious research experience. You can't be an engineer - because there are engineers with actual degrees that teach them how to build bridges that don't collapse. Your best shot is actually in business, but typically undergrads don't have the background to go full Quant, so basically it's likely you end up in consulting. If you happen to be on the autism spectrum like most of /biz/ that's a challenging job to get.

Source: I have a masters in Physics and 4 publications. Still took me almost 6 months to find my first job.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.