[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i have $5000 and $4000 tuition debt. if i pay it off, i'll

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: 1451257305206.gif (514KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1451257305206.gif
514KB, 500x281px
i have $5000 and $4000 tuition debt. if i pay it off, i'll have 1000 bucks to mess with. there's no interest accumulating on the debt.

should i pay it off and reapply for january, or put the money in some index fund and double my earning and then go back to uni with more cash in april? what would the finance savvy gent do? inb4 not go to uni.
>>
Why the fuck would you pay off interest free school debt off?

Index funds are for long term investments

Just hold on to your cash and save it, dont do anthing stupid
>>
>>1019375
not even high yield dividend stocks? i want to make money alongside my salary so i can start a business making microelectronics.
>>
>>1019379
Unless you're investing 6 figures, investing isn't worth the trouble for secondary income. Your only real hope there is a second job.
>>
>>1019379

Unless this cash is uneeded (you have emergency fund, liabilities paid, interest accruing debt paid, roth ira maxed) no you shouldnt son.
>>
>>1019393
wait so i have to make six figures to make enough money to do any real investments? the fuck is this noise? can't i just put in like 5k and then make it into 20k, then that into 40k, and so on with a massive initial climb as it tapers off into some sort of million dollar club moment?
>>
>>1019398

Yea you can, you can also play the lottery for 1$ and make millions
>>
>>1019398
Obvious bait but first of all: No. Second of all: that's not what I meant.

I meant you need to invest six figures at a time to see any growth worth spending. You'll make 5-10% gains per year, let's say 7%. If you make 7% of $5,000 it will take 21 years to turn into 20k.
>>
>>1019402
so i need to finish my degree and get a better paying job that gets me six figures to put into this?
>>
>>1019403
I....sure. You can start putting in now, but it won't give you any money to put towards your side projects any time soon.
>>
>>1019405
Alright in my position, what is the best financial choice for increasing my investment return margins?
>>
>>1019410

Lol

Hold on to your cash before you piss it away. You clearly need to study up on basic finance first
>>
>>1019412
My understanding was that you need to invest as early as possible sue to how low interest grows on any reasonable fund or else you have to invest waaay more than you need to later on to compensate
>>
>>1019418

If you dont need the money for years then invest it

If you need the money next semester dont invest it

I cant dumb this down any further
>>
>>1019358
So let me get this straight you expect a 100% return on that money within a year? Through index funds. Please tell me how im all ears warren buffet.
>>
>>1019423
then how does biz get rich? Im sure that nobody here has six figures of disposable income that doesnt need to go into roth or w/e.
>>
>>1019439
Time. Unless you have incredible connections or inheritance, or you come up with a major invention and get lucky enough to get a patent and funding, you're normal. Normal people do not get rich unless they play the game well, and even then it's not until they're 50 or so.
>>
>>1019464
Thats the thing. I want funding to make my ideas a reality. Ibdont want tonjust sell them and be a middle man for an even greater and smarter success. How do i accumulate wealth in a consistent and viable manner while working? Are etfs and large money accounts not the way to go? If i save up 100k can i come back?
>>
>>1019466
If you save up 100k you should just put that into making your idea a reality. It sounds like, to me, you need to work in the field for 5-10 years and work on your dream on the side while saving up. If your father gave you 100k to start you'd be fine, but he didn't, so you'll need to spend your first decade making up for that.
>>
>>1019476
So theres no real benefit in finance for me? Damn
>>
I took the money and threw it into TDAmeritrade account and learned to trade options.
The knowledge and practice is what I was after. I went in expecting to lose it all, as trading tuition. As it turns out I'm pretty good at it.

Stocks at 5k is terrible, Options at 5k is difficult, At 10k it becomes much easier to get your total trades up.
>>
>>1019402
>21 years
Bullshit. Don't you know the rule of 72? 72/7 = 7.2 years to double. So, to double twice, it couldn't take more than 14.
>>
>>1019739
Would a mix of etf, mutual, and dividends, acting as my savings account that i never withdraw and out money in monthly be the way to go
>>
>>1019739
You just divided 72 by 10, not 7.

Jesus fucking Christ, biz. No wonder nobody takes you guys seriously.
>>
>>1019899
you didn't even answer any of the relevant questions in this thread. why should anyone take you seriously? stop being such a massive hypocrite jesus.
>hurr you just multiplied by ten
>how should i handle money
>LOL YOU DIDN'T EVEN USE 72 PROPERLY

seriously do you just browse to berate?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.