[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I had a job with my buddy working search engine optimization

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: how-to-llc.jpg (9KB, 225x215px) Image search: [Google]
how-to-llc.jpg
9KB, 225x215px
So I had a job with my buddy working search engine optimization and web building for a company. We went in today for a meeting today and were told that we were not able to still be on salary. The CEO wants to independently contract us for projects. He said he wants us to start an LLC and write up contract agreements for pay and other things and he has comprehensive agreements to protect both of us. My question is how do we start an LLC? Is this standard business practice when starting a new company? He assured us we would be taken care of but I am still worried about pay. Where can I even find out the going rates for SEO, web design and other marketing projects? I have some contacts in the business but they would now be considered competition. What is the best way to go about this?
>>
I would first try to find a new job with your skills and then pursue starting an LLC simultaneously if you're gonna do that route.
>>
>>1016844
Our goal is to have the job we were working for as our main contract and then contract out smaller projects as we get going. This is a valuable project and he wants us to begin asap, so we really have to get this written fee contract finished.
>>
>>1016844
>>1016860
In all honesty, we should have been hired as IC from the start, I just don't really know much about LLC, negociaing a fee contract and how to charge him for services, and how to find more clients .
>>
>>1016860
If its a valuable project that he wanted you to begin asap he wouldn't take you off salary lol
>>
>>1016816

Step 1: incorporate in Delaware
>>
>>1016969

Actually Nevada is better for small companies. Delaware only pays off if you plan on becoming a publicly traded company
>>
Damn this nigga smart enough to optimize search engine algorithms but can't google how to start an llc? It's easy as fuck there are plenty of dumb asses with LLCs.
>>
>>1016979
>>1016969

>not Wisconsin
>>
>>1016989

Just get a business attorney. For the 800+ Legalzoom is going to charge, pay the extra 300 and get a real attorney and have them be your registered agent.

You would be amazed at the number of people who are utterly screwed the first time they have to file board meeting minutes and reaffirm the LLC to the state
>>
>>1016991
There is no REAL best. Delaware and Nevada are only better because of their lawsuit protection laws.

The days of actual tax avoidance by incorporating in a foreign state have been dead for 20 years
>>
>>1016991
who'd want to go to wisconsin srsly/?
>>
>>1016844
Don't listen to people like this. This is why people fail at starting a biz. This is the worst fucking advice anyone can give you.
>>
>>1017093
people who want to make money...

If everyone has your attitude, I'm sure there's plenty of opportunity in wisconsin, thanks to the fact that it isn't oversaturated. My cousin got rich by working medicine in the American south. These places still have lots of room for growth
>>
op here, thanks for the input everyone, is there a way I can include in this contract an set number of guaranteed hours I will work. Obviously I know he did this to save money and leave how much he pays me up to the success of the company but I am just concerned about how I will get paid for now.
>>
File: billy d slow clap.gif (388KB, 267x199px)
billy d slow clap.gif
388KB, 267x199px
>>1016816
This is a really great thing! I'm a consultant/contractor and have turned down jobs because they wouldn't let me operate as my own business entity.

I prefer an S-Corp. (I hear Wyoming is nice). Pay yourselves a "reasonable" salary, take remaining profits as distributions avoiding payroll tax. Wages will have double-fica and you'll have to cover your own benefits (e.g. health insurance), so build all of that into your fee, along with extra expenses such as accountant, insurance, etc.

One of the best benefits of having your own company are retirement accounts - open a self-directed Solo 401(k) that you can dump pretax dollars into in large quantities - standard salary deferral up to $18k/yr + employer contribution of up to 25% of your wages, capped at $51k I think. For example, I pay myself $102k salary, so I am dumping $18k + $25.5k => $43,500/year into my 401(k) pre-tax.

You get a whole slew of new write-off opportunities - cell phone/data service, ISP, travel to and from your primary place of business (i.e. your home) and your clients' locations, etc. Dedicate a room or area of your home for exclusive business use and you can write off that percentage of your household expenses.

Get access to business lines of credit. I had a $55k line of credit I never tapped and just got a promotional rate of 2.5% for the lifetime of the balance to entice me to use it - wrote myself a check and dumped that into my trading account.
>>
>>1017288
thank you very much, these are great ideas that I plan to capitalize on.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.