[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /biz/, I'm currently a junior and going to be working

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: privateequity.jpg (28KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
privateequity.jpg
28KB, 500x250px
Hey /biz/,
I'm currently a junior and going to be working this summer at a middle market private equity firm. Since it seems like a lot of people on the board are high school/younger college-age, I figured I'd do an ama about the finance recruiting process for anyone that is aiming to break into finance. It's tough going if you don't have someone to tell you what you're getting into.

If there's anyone else here who's also in PE, I'd appreciate any advice you could give me.
>>
>>1015370
Mexican here, is it really easier for minorities to get into high finance?

Also what are your stats? Uni, GPA, etc.
>>
What college do to? Will I still have a chance to get in if I go to a non target such as Oregon or Oregon State?
>>
>>1015370
Unless you're attending a target school, with a major discipline of study that is business-finance oriented with multiple minor disciplines of study in the fields of economics, accounting, physics, mathematics, and bit of psychology and you're actually keeping a GPA above 3.5 then you're wasting your time. Also, being on a sports team helps (sponsored by the school or recreational it doesn't matter), being the president of clubs helps, and having family/close friends already in the industry is a must. If you have all of that, there's about a 35%-50% chance you'll find a PE job after working for 1-5 years within the finance industry. Good luck, keep your head down and remember to speak your mind but only if you know your'e right.
>>
108.10.244.93 OPs my ip
>>
>>1015386
If you're talking about the other thread about the GS woman, yeah I think so. One of my other friends did the same program that placed her into GS, and he got an internship out of that. It's not like they give you a free ride; you still have to know your shit to make it through interviews. It'll just be slightly easier to get your foot in the door through minority "leadership programs."

I'm at a top 5 state school majoring in statistics and economics, minor in computer science, 3.66 GPA.

>>1015403
It's a lot easier if you go to a "target" school that the banks recruit from through on campus interviews. Places like Harvard, Yale, Stanford, MIT, or Princeton. Then there's sort of "semi-target" schools that are big regionally like UT. Then there's non-target schools. If I had to guess, I'd put Oregon/Oregon State in the non-target category. It's not impossible to get into finance from a non-target, you just have to network hard. Try to get an unpaid internship in a small investment bank or asset management firm your freshman or sophomore year. Contact people in your area who are the the field of finance that you want to be in and ask for coffee and talk about what they do. Talk to alumni from your school. Hopefully eventually you'll find something.

>>1015408
Do you work at a PE firm? I've already got the internship for the summer, and they were pretty clear when they were hiring me that if they liked me, then they would take me on full time after I graduated. I was wondering more about the type of grunt work that junior analysts do, so I can prepare for it and hit the ground running.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.