[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do menial labor jobs in the food industry pay so well compared

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1450561551278.png (27KB, 949x540px) Image search: [Google]
1450561551278.png
27KB, 949x540px
Why do menial labor jobs in the food industry pay so well compared to other labor jobs? I'm 21 and I just got a temp job at Hershey a few weeks ago and it's been easy as hell. $10/hour and goes up to $16/hour once I'm full time. People who have been there for ~10-20 years get paid $30/hour. There's literally nothing to it. Before that, I was getting paid $8.50 (25 cents above minimum wage) to do backbreaking 12 hour shifts at a lumber yard. Been there since I was 18 and never got a single raise. Once I get hired full time and make $16/hour, I can possibly afford to go to college. Would like to take up a trade and become a maintenance worker here. I love me some chocolate and can buy them at the employee store, an entire box of 30 chocolate bars for $4.00.
>>
enjoy your diabetes
>>
>>1014959
10-20 years on the factory floor. No thanks.

$30 / hour isn't hard to come by in any trade if you put your time in. Just join a union if that's all you aspire to be.
>>
>>1014959
Because you need reliable labor and most food related jobs have really unreliable labor.
>>
>>1014959
Are you implying that 10 years isn't a long time to get to $30/hour?

I mean it isn't terrible pay, but working in a factory for 10+ years sounds like a fucking nightmare. There's a reason lower middle class are all alcoholics you know
>>
>>1014959

Food industry is a pain in the ass, that's why they pay well.
>>
Yooooooo Hersheyfag, I'm in mechanicsburg. Wanna fuck?
>>
>>1014959
So is there a union at Hershey?
>>
>>1014959

Because you are working for a reputable multi billion dollar corporation, they treat their staff well, it's like a secret club.
>>
>Before that, I was getting paid $8.50 (25 cents above minimum wage) to do backbreaking 12 hour shifts at a lumber yard. Been there since I was 18 and never got a single raise.

'Stralian here. I can only laugh, holy shit you guys have it bad.
>>
>>1016751
Too be fair, strayan, you guys are charged a lot more for even basic goods.
>>
>>1014959
>People who have been there for ~10-20 years get paid $30/hour.

We don't have any minimum wages in Norway, but you can't find any jobs that pay less than $20/hour. Man, living in a country with little union representation like America seems like a drag wage wise.
>>
>>1015188
This. Loyalty and not being retarded will pay off really well in this business.
>>
>>1017372
Can confirm. There are bananapeelers making that kind of money in Norgay.
>>
protip, the factory will close and move to mexico or asia.
protip: You'll get fired before you get seniority. THey just tell you that stuff to make you work good.
>>
>>1017372
Fek off norwegian. I've been to your country and everything is expensive as shit. Normal food stuff costs more than a restaurant in central Paris. Literally 20$ in norway per hour is like 5$ per hour in a less expensive state
>>
If im going to work in a factory i better be making more than 30 dollars an hour after 10 years.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.